• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Herb Salad

Lovebird57

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Amy
All my birds loved it right away.. I've been out for a month. I usually buy it a local store but she's been closed since Christmas to remodel. She is connected with a local rescue and had just got her funding the last time I saw her. They don't return my calls which is not like her. She has an online store but I'm afraid to order thinking maybe that they are out of business or something.:confused:
So I guess I order it direct from Twin Beaks. I think my newest fids could use it. I also need to order Goldenfeast too. Who has the best prices online for it?:huh:

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
Oooh I'll have to see if the birdies like this. Always looking for more healthy stuff other than their bird mash they have. Thanks :)

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I swear by this stuff. It's awesome!

jenwren59

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
i just ordered some. i can't wait to try this.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
All my birds loved it right away.. I've been out for a month. I usually buy it a local store but she's been closed since Christmas to remodel. She is connected with a local rescue and had just got her funding the last time I saw her. They don't return my calls which is not like her. She has an online store but I'm afraid to order thinking maybe that they are out of business or something.:confused:
So I guess I order it direct from Twin Beaks. I think my newest fids could use it. I also need to order Goldenfeast too. Who has the best prices online for it?:huh:
Kathie at My Safe Bird Store sells it and it is a good price and super fast shipping!

Suchabetty

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jamie
:omg:after reading all your good comments about Herb salad im sold!! Will be getting some for Miss Betty and watch it will be the only thing she ever wants to eat :lol:well except for my veggie spaghetti of course...:heart:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo doesn't eat a lot of it, but I see evidence that he has been chewing on some of it :) I love the smell of it! I add a little Hatched to it as well, so he can forage for calcium as needed.

Petronius

Hit the Road
Are you serious? How your birds eat dry herbs? Mine doesn't want to touch it.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Are you serious? How your birds eat dry herbs? Mine doesn't want to touch it.
Sometimes it takes awhile for them to start eating them. If you smelled how fresh these herbs are, you would know why our birds are attracted to them.

identicaltriplets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patter
Yes, they are STILL my girls favorite addition in their cage. They are to the point now that they fight over it so I need to put in another bowl with herb salad. Best stuff in the world! :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Koopa loves it a well! She's an herb salad fiend :lol:

Dana Lee

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dana
:omg:after reading all your good comments about Herb salad im sold!! Will be getting some for Miss Betty and watch it will be the only thing she ever wants to eat :lol:well except for my veggie spaghetti of course...:heart:
It's very easy to get the tiels hooked on the herb salad. I got a small metal bowl that hooks inside the cage and I put a little herb salad in there and then I sprinkle some millet seeds in there and mix it up. I'm sure to leave some millet seeds on top so Sydney sees that "Hey there is snacks in there!" then when she goes to get the millet she accidentally tastes the salad. She eats a bit each day.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Humm I may have to add this to my list of things I need to try.

paperdragon

Rollerblading along the road
After seeing this thread, I decided to try making my own version with what I've got around the house. So far I've got dandelion, plantain, red clover, basil, mint, lemon balm, purslane, thyme, and rose petals. Not the same thing, so it won't have all the exact same benefits, but I'm thinking it still ought to be a pretty healthy mix.

It's funny how half the stuff that people yank out of their gardens as "weeds" are actually healthier than stuff they're trying to grow. :)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Bump Who else feeds this? I do and sometimes I have started to make a tea tonic with it and then add in a cookable food for my senior Parrotlet. I am wondering if the tea from it with water then absorbed by the food would be beneficial?

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I feed Herb Salad also - mixed with "hatched" crushed eggshell. I never thought of using it as a tea - but why not? there are all kinds of tea made from what we would feed out birds - chamomile, dandelion, hibiscus...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Bump Who else feeds this? I do and sometimes I have started to make a tea tonic with it and then add in a cookable food for my senior Parrotlet. I am wondering if the tea from it with water then absorbed by the food would be beneficial?
I do that with dandelion tea for Gizmo ; I use the brewed tea as a substitute for water in recipes, such as bird bread and worldly cuisines. :)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I feed Herb Salad also - mixed with "hatched" crushed eggshell. I never thought of using it as a tea - but why not? there are all kinds of tea made from what we would feed out birds - chamomile, dandelion, hibiscus...

I thought if it is not consumed dry then why not make a tea out of it? I know it is a a lot of different herbs but using this with a cookable food where all water is absorbed by it. So not like drinking the tea moreso the foods like the couscous, millet, oats that do. I just thought of it and it isn't a daily thing but moreso an every now and then thing so he can get the benefits from some of the medicinal properties of these herbs. Just trying to keep the little booger healthy now that he is 14.