• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Herb Salad

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Just a note of caution for ekkie owners. Spirulina is a high protein source that may cause food allergies in some ekkies. :)

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
it says this under FAQ
Can I mix your herbs in with my egg food?
We don't advise mixing Herb Salad in with egg food, soak seed or anything moist. Because of the medicinal properties of the herbs, your birds should be able to choose which herb it wants and the quantity it desires to eat.
so that means not to add it to bird bread? since that is moist?

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Kelli, I think that is what they are saying. I offer it in a separate dish in my birds cages so they can eat it when they want some.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
We can't get any kind of herb mixes like that here. :( The only thing is to get it all and mix them yourself.

love4birds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Can you freeze herb salad?

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Yes Vic, I keep mine in the freezer, it keeps it nice and fresh. It gets blah after awhile if you dont freeze or refrigerate even though the website says you dont have to, I think it stays much fresher.

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Could you please help me visualize 1/2 a pound of it?
And how much would I give them at a time?

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Could you please help me visualize 1/2 a pound of it?
And how much would I give them at a time?
Hmm I would say a half pound bag would be about half full of a gallon storage bag? I just use a lexit bird bath as a separate dish in two of my cages and I just put a handful in the dish and let them free feed. I freshen it up every week and add a little bit and mix it up.

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan

Hmm I would say a half pound bag would be about half full of a gallon storage bag? I just use a lexit bird bath as a separate dish in two of my cages and I just put a handful in the dish and let them free feed. I freshen it up every week and add a little bit and mix it up.
Ok. Thanks. So with my little guys(budgies, cockatiels, and parrotlet) probably 1 tablespoon per bird would be good for about a week? At least til I see how well they like it.
Think I'll order some and see how they all like it.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Yea Susan that would be good. The thought behind it is they eat it as they need a specific herb. I think some birds just like the herbs and arent eating them because they are sick, they just like them. I think budgies especially like the herbs from what I have heard. It may take them a little bit to try them or they might dive right in. :)

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Ok, I keep mine in the refrigerator but should I move it to the freezer?

Magic

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
I started giving Whitey herb salad about 3 months ago. She had a large fatty tumor on her front. She is fully flighted but could not fly because she was so fat. 3 months later the tumor has noticeably gone down. She is much lighter and she is flying around the room right behind Scooter. I am thrilled!! :) I contribute it to the salad.
foghorn my scarlet macaw had a tumor on his tummy area and after giving him the salad as well its went down and now the vet can hardly find the tumor anymore she was amazed and started giving the same salad to her birds and telling others to use it for there birds

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Wow nice to see some testmonials of the medicinal use of the herbs. Vic freezer or frig, I think both are fine.

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
I just received a bag of it yesterday. 6 out of 7 went right for it...Asher is a little afraid of it, but I am confident he will come around.

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
Maybe you could check with her to see if she offers different ways to mail to you. She uses Priority Mail so that is probably why it is more to send to you. One pound of herbs is ALOT, it lasts a long time. Why dont you ask for a sample, she does do that too. She is a really nice lady, I am sure she will do whatever she can to try and help but she is running a business, I dont think she is making her money on shipping.
I just contacted her to see if she can send me a sample. Waiting to hear back from her.:)

susand

Jogging around the block
Real Name
susan
is this salad good for larger birds? Quaker, Caique's, Jardine or a Macaw?

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
Susan, I think it is for all parrots...I give it to my whole flock.

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
I just contacted her to see if she can send me a sample. Waiting to hear back from her.:)
Yay!!!! Just heard back she said she would be happy to send a sample out. Can't wait to get IT!!:D