• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello! Help choosing my first bird?

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Birds are much more destructive than cats. And require much more cleaning than changing the litterbox. I'm afraid if that was too much, the bird(s) will be WAY too much work. They take patience and a laid back attitude towards mess and destruction and a lot of daily attention.

Amazons are MUCH bigger birds and some of the most challenging parrots to have. Not considered "starter birds" and not for most experienced bird owners either. Too much bird for me and I have 4 small and medium parrots. They can be very aggressive especially when hormonal.

Conures, especially sun conures, jendays and other aratingas are extremely loud and high pitched.

Cockatiels are relatively easy birds to keep but females are prone to excessive egg laying and egg binding. Any bird requires a large time commitment with a few hours of out of cage time daily, a lot of cleaning, fresh veggies and fruit daily, fresh water, a steady supply of destroyable toys, regular vet visits, a variety of perches.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Go to stores who have the birds you are interested in and interview each bird in an area they are out of the cage and interactive with you. Most pet stores do not take the time to handle their birds enough to keep them tame, however but it will give you hands-on experience with the species you are most interested. Plus, you may luck into a bird who picks you.

A pet bird needs daily hands-on on handling to remain tame, as well a bird needs the daily love and emotional support you, as their flock mate needs to supply. A cat is independently ok if their human ignores them for a day or even a week. A parrot cannot. Also any parrot is much more intelligent than a dog or cat with budgies and Cockatiels like 3 year-old kids and conures like 6 year-old kids. THIS is the most important difference about keeping birds, their intelligence and their emotional need for support from you as their flock.

If you can give the bird this type of love and support, then you will make a good PARRONT. Good luck and have fun with your new family member.

Erestyl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joshua
Research Bee Bee Parrots ( aka pocket parrot, yellow wing or canary wing parrot; family name is Brotogeris).
I hadn't seen these before, I like them :) Whether I can find one... that's another question...

Amazons are much bigger birds than conures. And, I would think a bite from an Amazon would take days to heal. A Senegal is more around that size. I haven't had experience with those birds, but I believe Amazons can be very centered on one person (if your the chosen one) and aggressive towards others.
Ok, I'll rule out amazons too then. Thanks.

Birds are much more destructive than cats. And require much more cleaning than changing the litterbox. I'm afraid if that was too much, the bird(s) will be WAY too much work. They take patience and a laid back attitude towards mess and destruction and a lot of daily attention.
Like I said, the cats were a problem for many reasons which involved more people than me. It wasn't my responsibility and it wasn't my decision.

A cat is independently ok if their human ignores them for a day or even a week. A parrot cannot.
I used to wish my cat would be less independent, actually. The idea of a pet who will react positively to attention is very exciting to me :) which is why I think a parrot would be a much better fit for me.

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
Just remember that a needy parrot can be "annoying" if your not prepared for it. They want it and they want it NOW. Then you have a behavior that can be very difficult to solve. Another problem is if your not the chosen one, which likely means that you will either be ignored or attacked. Both of these problems you must be prepared for. Just because a species is typically friendly doesn't mean that your parrot is going to be nice to you. And you must be prepared for a parrot that decides it doesn't like you. This isn't to say owning a parrot is impossible. It can be done and it has been done successfully by many people, you just have to be extra prepared.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Bee Bee parrots are very loud and smaller than you want. That's a great chart for reference and I would look at a Pious. According to the chart it fits your stated requirements of size, colors and not so loud. Are you considering the volunteering at a bird rescue? Its always best to let the bird choose you.

We could make suggestions to you for days and days but ultimately its your choice and the birds hopefully.

I posted this today Unhappy Jenday Conure

Last edited:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I know it sounds like we are discouraging you from getting a parrot. This is not the case; we just want you to know how different having a parrot is from a cat or any other pet. Another thing that really influences how you treat your bird is the fact parrots are prey species, like hamsters and other small mammals humans keep as pets. This means unlike a dog or cat, the parrot is not looking for a master, they are looking for a fellow flock member who helps them hide from predators. But humans are predators and that means a lot of our "taming" methods are contrary to what a parrot needs to pick you as a flock mate. "Taming a parrot" actually means you have to win the parrot's trust so that they pick you as their flock member. This is much different from keeping our other pets. Forcing a parrot to do something they are not comfortable in doing, ie: come out of their cage when they are afraid, undermines their trust in you and you have just blown getting their trust. So you see what I mean by taming is actually winning trust.

Of course one way of getting an instant pet parrot is to go to a reputable breeder who hand feeds and hand raises their parrots. Birds raised in this manner honestly do not realize they are birds since they are raised by and handled frequently and daily by humans. Such parrots are expensive; in 1998 I paid two hundred dollars for a rare mutation cockatiel: but Gracie was an instant pet, wanting to perch on me constantly and never, ever bit me except once when I did not read her body language correctly and I scared her. Years later, 2000, I went to a bird show and a Senegal Parrot picked me by jumping on me every time she saw me and eventually falling asleep on my shoulder at the end of the show. I could not hand her back to her breeder for the fourth time and I paid $325 for her at three months old. Sunshine Senegal will be seventeen years old this year and I have had her since she was three months old. She is my heart bird.

So you have choices. Unfortunately, most pet shops do not handle their birds enough to keep them tame and most birds offered by pet stores are hatched in large factory production facilities to provide birds for medical research as well as pets. GCCs and cockatiels are very commonly used in lab tests. So look around, use the internet and find breeders and such to check out and find your own heart bird.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would also like to say that I have a hand raised quaker from a baby who is not the cuddy parrot I once brought home. Once he went through puberty he distanced himself from me. Babies like everyone but if you full the roll of mother, biology tells them to not form a bond with you because it's "inbreeding". So even buying a breeder baby is no guarantee, and in fact I will never again buy a baby because I have had much better luck with rehomes.

Loviebirds<3

Meeting neighbors
I would recommend a... lovebird :pflb:
They are small pets which are much less expensive than a larger parrot! They are very playful and the most cuddly ones of all. They will want your attention all the time. I would also recommend to try this website, maybe it can help with your decision.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Erestyl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joshua
We could make suggestions to you for days and days but ultimately its your choice and the birds hopefully.
This has been the main thing I'm learning from this site, and an important one it is!

I know it sounds like we are discouraging you from getting a parrot. This is not the case; we just want you to know how different having a parrot is from a cat or any other pet. Another thing that really influences how you treat your bird is the fact parrots are prey species, like hamsters and other small mammals humans keep as pets. This means unlike a dog or cat, the parrot is not looking for a master, they are looking for a fellow flock member who helps them hide from predators. But humans are predators and that means a lot of our "taming" methods are contrary to what a parrot needs to pick you as a flock mate. "Taming a parrot" actually means you have to win the parrot's trust so that they pick you as their flock member. This is much different from keeping our other pets. Forcing a parrot to do something they are not comfortable in doing, ie: come out of their cage when they are afraid, undermines their trust in you and you have just blown getting their trust. So you see what I mean by taming is actually winning trust.
This has probably been the most decisive factor for me in deciding that a parrot really is for me. I've never liked the master-servant relationships that cats and dogs put you into, and I've never really been satisfied with either one. Having a "flock-mate" is a lot more appealing to me than any other type of human-animal relationship I've discovered.

So even buying a breeder baby is no guarantee, and in fact I will never again buy a baby because I have had much better luck with rehomes.
I've been looking at rehomes on Craigslist, especially a sun conure named Mango who sounds really perfect for me, if someone else doesn't come snatch her up first! Thanks for the tip.

Thank you!

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Welcome, and thank you for doing your research before jumping in!
I'm going to repeat some important things to remember--
You, and anyone that you live with, MUST give up anything Teflon coated. It's not optional, in my opinion. This also means diligently researching any home appliances before purchase. Hair dryers, heaters, toaster ovens---so many things to consider!
You also have to give up home fragrances like Febreze, Glade, Oil burners and candles. Everyone has to be on board!
The "Bee Bee parrots" are a great idea! Search for "Canary-winged Parrots", they're the most common in the US.
I think Senegals are lovely parrots, the size you are looking for, and quieter than an aratinga conure.
You are right--there really aren't any "starter" birds. Each one is a long-term commitment. That being said, there are definitely birds that I think require more life experience. Many species will test your patience, your tolerance and your budget!
Good luck on your search!

gptb2020

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaden
Try something like a cockatiel or a budgie, maybe a green cheek like me. All birds are going to be a handful so just be warned of that.

Evahyz

Moving in
Real Name
Eva
My first bird was a tiel, and I couldn't stress enough to think about all the time you will have to give up for them (even the 'small birds'). I personally would go for the budgie or a cockatiel, for the reasons already stated above. I wouldn't get a conure, mainly because of the fact that they are more demanding (you might have heard of the term 'big bird in a small bird's body') and louder than the 'quieter' birds. The Australian parakeets are another option, Bourkes' parakeets are nice beginner birds. If you have the time and the energy to cope with a conure, I would suggest the Green Cheeked, or Maroon bellied. I understand how you like Sun Conures (who wouldn't?) with their nice colours, but they are very noisy by nature and would need (even) more time and energy than the other conures.
Hope I helped! :hug8:

ThatsFowlPlay

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jasmine
To own a conure you need much more experience with birds as like other people have said, conures are very demanding. Especially Sun conures. If you are determine to get a conure, start off with a Green Cheek Conure. They come many color mutations other than green. @Komplete has a turquoise green cheek conure.

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
My first bird was a male tiel and he was a great companion. Looking back at it he was very forgiving of all my newbie mistakes. This was in the 80's early 90's when we didnt have access to all the
great information we have now. I have a yellow naped amazon now and she is more than a hand full at times. I cant imagine having her as my first bird even tho I love her to pieces.
Any bird you get is going to need daily attention not just to them but to their cage and dietary needs. Do you live alone, or with your parents or room mates? Like Tim said earlier, everyone needs to be on board with the safety things for your bird and also be prepared for the messes and the noise. I dont want to sound discouraging, quite the opposite in fact. I think birds make great companions but there
is alot of responsibility and care for them.

Erestyl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joshua
Thank you all for your excellent advice. Today I visited a number of pet shops and a shelter (although I think most of the birds were actually the flock of the sweet old crazy bird lady who lived there :p) and talked with a number of experienced people and got some excellent advice. I learned for sure that I made the right decision with a parrot over a gerbil or a snake, and met three beautiful conures: a juvenile sun, a shy green cheeks, and a playful lil hybrid of two that I don't quite remember (Blue crowned and Nanday I think? The lady said she didn't even think it was possible haha). They were all very cute, and the two purebred ones were shy, but I did get to hear their vocalizations and see them and talk about them.

I also found a very sweet Sun named Mango on Craigslist, and have been conversing with he current owner for a while about her. She's two years old, very cuddly and social, and doesn't scream much. Unfortunately she's a two hour drive away, so I haven't seen her yet, and since my family is moving this week I won't be able to until Tuesday. However, the owner told me she'd save her for me since she could tell that I'm sincerely interested in her well-being, so if all goes well I'll be seeing her on Tuesday and probably bringing her home shortly after. I've also got my brother and my step-sister on board with the idea, and they've agreed to play with her too so she gets plenty of love and attention all the time. They'll also help convince the parental units! :D (In case anyone's wondering, I'm 18 and living at home with my dad and his girlfriend while I attend community college.)

So if all goes well, I'll be adding a feathery family member in a week or so! I'm very excited and I can't wait. I've legitimately never been so excited about an animal before. Of course, any number of things could still go wrong: Mango could be taken by someone faster than me, the parental units could deny permission, Mango could even just reject me when I got to meet her. But I'll be hoping and praying that all goes well! :roflmao:

Again, thank you all for your feedback. I feel a lot better about this decision now, even though I eventually decided to go against most of your advice! :hehe: But I'm definitely feeling a lot more confident now that I made the right choice and that I'm not going to regret it. I'll definitely be here on the Avenue as well, since I've had a very impressive introduction! :joyful:

Evahyz

Moving in
Real Name
Eva
That's good to know! I wish I had that kind of support when I got my first bird :D Hope it all goes well! Keep us updated on the progress!