• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Happy Dance Paco is eating Pellets!

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
Not far from Interstate 81 and 66. Next time I'm down that way I could give you a call.
81 has sure gotten busy the last 10 years or so hasn't it?

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you considered sprouting? I thought it was going to be the hardest thing to get Buddy on & it was the easiest. I'm saving money on fresh & It's easier than the grocery shopping & preparing.

now I will add this. Just soaking the seed, beans or nuts is more nutrition then they'd get from chop.or

Its cheaper, you still need fresh but a meal or 2 less a day.

Nothing that the commercial guys say is safe, & you read that item thinking how good is this really for my fid.

:sad10:. I'm so sorry he's being a pip. In the heat we've been having in NY, I haven't been hungry either Mr. Paco!

@ Clueless made a great point about them feeding off our stress.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Well shoot, I didn't see any of these posts. I am having lots of issues with this forum.

Yes Bert, I am close 81 and 64, I66 is north of me. Yes I81 has gotten busier but nothing compared to 495 or 270 up North.

I live in a rural area Rainbow and have tried to sprout from the grocery store beans and they didn't sprout. He turns his nose up at chop. I know he must be feeding off my stress, been out of work now for 8 months and it's taken its toll on me.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Yes Bert, I am close 81 and 64, I66 is north of me. Yes I81 has gotten busier but nothing compared to 495 or 270 up North.
I won't even use 495 during the day and 270 is just plain madness, that's why I use I66 from 81 to get to Fairfax. Just got to pick off times.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well shoot, I didn't see any of these posts. I am having lots of issues with this forum.

I live in a rural area Rainbow and have tried to sprout from the grocery store beans and they didn't sprout. He turns his nose up at chop. I know he must be feeding off my stress, been out of work now for 8 months and it's taken its toll on me.

I understand the stress from not working, I've got a story too! You may want to try the Waley's sprouting beans. As online goes, I found many of her prices cheaper when compared to Amazon & Walmart's. I haven't made any of mine yet, but maybe @rockoko or @saroj12 have made some. I know Rockoko has been sprouting recently (like me). I think my chick peas are going to be next.

Does your grey fluff have pin feathers? Buddy has a head of them now making him a little grouchy.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Yes Rainbow he does have pin feathers on his chest and I am keeping my eye on them to see if he will pluck them. I haven't seen any feathers on the bottom of his cage. He loses one or two from flapping his wings. I honestly don't think he knows he can fly. When he flaps his wings, (twice really good flappy) he scared himself, LOL. His little legs are still bare and I noticed missing feathers underneath at the top ridge of his wings. His tail feathers are coming in wonderfully, I didn't realize he only had one feather, the color and condition of his feather over all have improved greatly I can tell from the first pics I have of him. I will look into Waley's since now he has decided he doesn't like Lafeber's Nutri Berries and a bucket of them are $30.00. Insane!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I won't even use 495 during the day and 270 is just plain madness, that's why I use I66 from 81 to get to Fairfax. Just got to pick off times.
I grew up in Montgomery County and left the area 20 years ago. I went back to visit just this past Memorial Day, (I took Paco with me) The traffic, the conditions and trash on the roads was shocking and the rude drivers. Wheaton was such a nice medium sized town and now is nothing but high rise condos on every street corner. It makes me want to cry.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes Rainbow he does have pin feathers on his chest and I am keeping my eye on them to see if he will pluck them. I haven't seen any feathers on the bottom of his cage. He loses one or two from flapping his wings. I honestly don't think he knows he can fly. When he flaps his wings, (twice really good flappy) he scared himself, LOL. His little legs are still bare and I noticed missing feathers underneath at the top ridge of his wings. His tail feathers are coming in wonderfully, I didn't realize he only had one feather, the color and condition of his feather over all have improved greatly I can tell from the first pics I have of him. I will look into Waley's since now he has decided he doesn't like Lafeber's Nutri Berries and a bucket of them are $30.00. Insane!
Don't get crazy & pitch them... Just a suggestion, He could be afraid of them. Try putting one where he can see it for awhile. Then move it back into his bowl for a few days, pitch after that if it remains untouched. Add it in again as a new one, but break it up next. Birds seem to levitate towards food when they're hungry, but will also (like humans) if they get bored will play w/ them & find they like it. I've been slowly getting Buddy onto Marsa's food. (Unapproved Vendor).

Problem is he doesn't eat @ his cage. Eats w/ Dad when they have breakfast (sprouts), eats snacks when we have them, eats dinner w/ me (fresh), has mini seed time 10 minutes of cracking or eating his dry fruit & seed & one more time of rummaging thru that bowl of what he didn't eat @ seed time. I can't eat most of it so he's leary. Sprouts, no problem (I could eat them), fresh (most items no problem, I can eat that). Marsha's pellets & baked goods & nope, because Mom can only eat 1 or 2 items from all this combined.t

I will say the sprouting was so seemless. I think it's easier than grocery shopping, & cheaper buying & throwing 1/2 the amount & his feathers are so shimmery! I do cook certain veggies like sweet potatoes but that's one he tries to eat me when I feed them. I think like Mango it could be a steal outta Ma 's bowl then maybe, or never. I've thrown out so much! It took me 2 years to get Mango in him & only by stealing. Don't give up, it takes much time to earn respect & trust. You're still in that feeling you out phase. When it does click in his head tho, much will happen & quickly! Don't get too discouraged.

:bighug:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I'm going to look into sprouts. He is back to being Mr. Picky. Threw out his fav fresh pineapple grrrr. I pulled his cage away from the all to give him more space when he sits on his door. When he stretches his wings he looked cramped. The little stinker found the wood trim on the window. I would know the sound of chewing from anywhere. At least he is feeling comfortable enough to explore his world. I noticed he approaches the fruit and veggie bowl like he is scared I have been offering him food with my hand and he is taking more of it.

He is learning!!! I have been giving him a goodie and tell him to scootch over so I can get his water bowl every time he needs fresh water. I calm myself, and tell him what I'm going to do (thanks hawk) and I reach in and get the bowl. I say stootch over (without a treat) and he moves over and watches me get his water bowl. Ah patience pays off. Tomorrow he will probably bite me LOL. We are progressing!

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Getting a diet change can be a pain in the.. feathery butt indeed..
I had that problem with my Amazon. Eventually i gave her the choice to eat pellets or nothing at all.

She now happily eats pellets :) maybe you could try to see what happens if you offer him pellets only for a day or two? Dont starve him ofcourse, but let him know you’re serious about it? As for my Grey, i got her four weeks ago and she ate seed and whatever her previous owner had for dinner. Not a healthy menu for sure. Luckily i had no problems getting her on pellets because she closely watched what the Amazon did :) Got a bit of luck there i suppose!

Anyway, if you worry you do something wrong, then at least you do that right! You care for your bird and love him. In the end, thats more then a lot of birds could ever dream of :( bless you for that!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I don't get to excited Bert, LOL. It changes from day to day. I left this post open while I got Paco his egg (only one a week) Well I went in to replace his water, he had dropped his egg on the cage floor and was trying to get it. Well, I'm talking to him and laughing, and told him I would get his egg for him. Well he was hanging on the side of the cage and he realized he had no perch to climb on, so he reached his foot out for my hand. Nerves and heart flutter here, he has not stepped up since he chomped me twice. Well he was on my fingers, (wow he is heavier then my zon was) and we got to the perch with no biting!!! yeah...

Next question. I know he will step up without biting, but we had two bad experiences and now I'm scared to ask him to step up. I have been putting on a jean jacket, he is not crazy about it but is stepping up. How can we establish our trust of each other and step up without biting?

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thanks Lincee, the support get from everyone here really helps. I haven't been that concerned about pellets. He eats Lafebers Avi cakes and Nutri berries, although he is tired of the berries right not. He eats a good balanced seed diet which I notice he only picks out the pumpkin seed and the little white ones. He now doesn't like almonds. He just needs a variety, I think he gets bored. I change his veggies around, broccoli, carrot sticks, he even ate a little cucumber the other day. I'm scared of celery due to the strings. His feathers are looking a lot better and he is losing is scruffy look. He now has 4 tail feathers coming in. I feel that we have come a long way in our short 5 months together.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
His feathers are looking a lot better and he is losing is scruffy look. He now has 4 tail feathers coming in.
It sure sounds like he is doing just fine IMO.

How can we establish our trust of each other and step up without biting?
Just keep doing what you are doing and it will just fall into place with him. To feel better have a treat ready for him when he steps up and doesn't bite.

I'm scared of celery due to the strings.
I have fed celery to my Zon for years, Tinker likes it as well, they chew it well enough. It's a vegetable not a piece of cotton or string.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Snowy my friend what about a practice T perch for stepping up, or even just a dowel? As for the celery, I was nervous too, vet said it was fine. Buddy just prefers that it's warmer so when I do the vinegar & water cleaning I use warm water from the faucet. After watching him eat it the 1st time, I felt a little the fool, as he grinds that string up. I wonder if I pulled his tail, if he'd give me celery juice! :rofl:
Just Joking!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I'll have to give the celery a try, it's one that he hasn't tasted yet. I have been experimenting with different temperatures, sometimes the fruit is really cold and I wonder if that turns him off? Well he stepped up last night, I really didn't give him much of a choice and firmly put out my arm and said step up. He did reach out with his beak with a firm pinch, however. it wasn't a bite so to speak, more like I need to hold on until my feet are underneath me. Wasn't pleasant but I remained calm. I was teaching him to scoot over when I was reaching for his water and used almonds as treats, now he has decided he doesn't want an almond. One thing for sure these birds are not boring!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll have to give the celery a try, it's one that he hasn't tasted yet. I have been experimenting with different temperatures, sometimes the fruit is really cold and I wonder if that turns him off? Well he stepped up last night, I really didn't give him much of a choice and firmly put out my arm and said step up. He did reach out with his beak with a firm pinch, however. it wasn't a bite so to speak, more like I need to hold on until my feet are underneath me. Wasn't pleasant but I remained calm. I was teaching him to scoot over when I was reaching for his water and used almonds as treats, now he has decided he doesn't want an almond. One thing for sure these birds are not boring!

Yes, they have a way of keeping us humans wrapped around their little feathers! :rofl:

Celery if he eats it will make his droppings really watery. What about some spaghetti squash. Buddy ate this when I bought it, although, I either had to eat it too, or pitch it. Freezing, not sure about changing the texture. It's a fun food & a wee bit messy!

How to Cook Spaghetti Squash Two Different Ways - in the Microwave or in the Oven - Kitchen Treaty

I did mine in microwave, then you can leave out a bunch of oil. Not sure if this was the recipe I used. It's been awhile. :omg:

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Celery if he eats it will make his droppings really watery. What about some spaghetti squash. Buddy ate this when I bought it, although, I either had to eat it too, or pitch it. Freezing, not sure about changing the texture. It's a fun food & a wee bit messy!
I cook mine in the microwave by cutting length wise in half and put in a baking dish with 1/2" of water then cover with wrap.
It also freezes well.
Tinker loves it mixed in with his morning chop.

We use it as a replacement for real spaghetti and under stir fry.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Well sorry for not replying guys, was wondering why I wasn't hearing from anyone. My AA emails were going to my spam folder, now how that happened I have no idea. I will try the squash, I don't blame him for being bored with food. There aren't a whole lot of veggies out there to choose from. Thanks for the tips.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
@Snowghost

Almonds
Bananas
Blackberries
Blueberries
Broccoli
Cantaloupe
Carrots