• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Happy Dance Paco is eating Pellets!

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thanks Bert, there is more on here then I though of. The biggest problem I have is finding nuts that don't have salt on them. He won't eat a lot of what is on here but I'll keep trying. I'm going to save it on my lap top.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Shenandoah Valley, the only stores we have are Wal-Mart, Food Lion and Martin's. Nuts are sold around Christmas time and last year I didn't buy any, they looked like they had been in storage from the previous Christmas!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Thanks Bert, there is more on here then I though of. The biggest problem I have is finding nuts that don't have salt on them. He won't eat a lot of what is on here but I'll keep trying. I'm going to save it on my lap top.
Try the baking aisle at Wal Mart. I buy almond slivers for the amazons

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thanks guys, I didn't think of the baking isle or Amazon. He loved almonds for the first few months, I was using them as treat to training. Now he won't touch them and has always tossed walnuts. He used to gobble up fresh pineapple, now he tosses it. Last night he ate canned pineapple. I'm ready to pull out my hair!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

There's Nuts.com but it works out better if you order a large amount (shipping wise). I vacuum sealed mine & stored them under our porch. (They're in a cool area in mason jars). Buddy loves to work @ their paper pecans. He's learning to forage. Very slow going... But we're getting there. He's no a grey tho either & I'm not sure w/ Grey's but some fids need fresh nuts started for them. As a human, I have a heck of a time opening the shells & not having them :sour: smash! Hands don't always get that tension just so... :wtf:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Well you guys are not going to believe this. Every day I give him veggies and fruit in the morning and evening. I am happy to report that last night he ate oats, pellets, veggie past on top of his warm sweet potato last night. You could have knocked me over with a feather, pic posted in thread "we need more photos" I have been taking his seed an veggie cups out and make him wait maybe an hour? Not very long I know and then feed him. I dunno what worked but I am so happy for this great step forward, now he might not eat them again but at least he is getting more nutrrition in him then he has had for the last 6 years.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well you guys are not going to believe this. Every day I give him veggies and fruit in the morning and evening. I am happy to report that last night he ate oats, pellets, veggie past on top of his warm sweet potato last night. You could have knocked me over with a feather, pic posted in thread "we need more photos" I have been taking his seed an veggie cups out and make him wait maybe an hour? Not very long I know and then feed him. I dunno what worked but I am so happy for this great step forward, now he might not eat them again but at least he is getting more nutrrition in him then he has had for the last 6 years.

I don't give Buddy his "new seeds" until he's @ least eaten 1/2 his dinner. You may want to add Chia seeds, & hemp hearts on top of his foods or in his seeds, everyday. They are supposed to be great heart support!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Rain, right now I'm just happy he is eating more and more healthy food. I tried Chis seeds and he doesn't seem like the texture maybe? I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing. Hopefully with time he will be more relaxed and trust me more. Sigh, poor guy still shakes when I get to close to the cage, but he has learned to step up, scooch over (so I can get his cups without biting) and bye-bye, (to get in his cage) it's only been 5 months so I am a pretty happy mom right now.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Rain, right now I'm just happy he is eating more and more healthy food. I tried Chis seeds and he doesn't seem like the texture maybe? I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing. Hopefully with time he will be more relaxed and trust me more. Sigh, poor guy still shakes when I get to close to the cage, but he has learned to step up, scooch over (so I can get his cups without biting) and bye-bye, (to get in his cage) it's only been 5 months so I am a pretty happy mom right now.

I'm glad he's eating better w/ food! Poor guy is scared but the fact that he's stepping & scootching says that a relationship is started, in the direction of more trust towards you. I would try to work w/ him very slow @ the same time every day. Are there any foods he seems over the moon for that you can use to do this? Even simple things like getting on a playgym/tree or coming to the edge of the top of the cage or down on a door. He's so scared of everything, clicker training might get you over the last hump of trust. I know it's worked great for many here, I don't do it w/ Buddy yet, but he's very receptive to my training. I would use it if he wasn't.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Great mind think a like Rain, I was wondering if it was too soon to training him. Thank you for letting me that his learning is letting me know he is starting to trust me. I took Hawks advice and I tell him what I'm doing. I slowly reach for his cups telling him I am getting his cups, does he want goodies/breakfast and now he just watches me and scootches over, no biting and no food in his mouth. I am still a little nervous with him stepping up as I am afraid he will chomp me so I put on a flannel shirt, it's not much protection but it makes me feel better. I will try to work with him the same time every day. As for a fav that varies. He was bonkers over almonds for months then nope, then banana's now nope. He likes chips (don't we all) but they aren't healthy and hard boiled eggs which he only gets once a week. Oh good news, he is now eating veggie pasta!!!!

Thank you for the tips, I really appreciate it.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great mind think a like Rain, I was wondering if it was too soon to training him. Thank you for letting me that his learning is letting me know he is starting to trust me. I took Hawks advice and I tell him what I'm doing. I slowly reach for his cups telling him I am getting his cups, does he want goodies/breakfast and now he just watches me and scootches over, no biting and no food in his mouth. I am still a little nervous with him stepping up as I am afraid he will chomp me so I put on a flannel shirt, it's not much protection but it makes me feel better. I will try to work with him the same time every day. As for a fav that varies. He was bonkers over almonds for months then nope, then banana's now nope. He likes chips (don't we all) but they aren't healthy and hard boiled eggs which he only gets once a week. Oh good news, he is now eating veggie pasta!!!!

Thank you for the tips, I really appreciate it.

I believe you can do Egg noodles too, I use pieces w/ Buddy. We're currently working on not flipping out & going into a honking session every time Mom leaves the room! What about pine nuts, shelled I got my last batch @ walmart. Cherrios in moderation as a in cage (by water) treat. There's a bunch of others but I'll keep thinking....

Oh yes, as long as the flannel makes you calmer & Paco isn't freaking out, it's a good thing. I swear we have aura's that these birds can see & when we're distressed they can see it! ;)

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Rain, honking ? Is Buddy a grey? I would love to see a photo! Yes, I have been giving him two or three Cheerios and I will check out the pine nuts. It is true they do feel our emotions. I do try to calm myself down around him and it really worked today. I just wish his little bare chest would quit fluttering when I get close to him. One step at a time and we are making progress. His feathers are growing back and he is getting fuzzy. I never grew up thinking I would love parrots, who knew that a bundle of feathers could turn you into a puddle of love?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Well more news!!! He has a thicker perch towards the back of his cage. It's concrete I think? Not sure of the material. It is stuck on his cage with a large wing nut. I was going to remove it since he seems to show no interest in sitting on it and give him new toys. Well, surprise he was sitting on it today. I have starting leaving him home alone for longer amounts of time. At first I was home most of the day and only gone for a few hours. I don't know what prompted him to sit on the perch, its good for his feet to get different sizes, so it stays.

Question, he has a swing as well but I'm not sure if he can get on it. He flings it with his beak. What size would it have to be so he can sit on it? I will try to get a photo but we all know how he LOVES the cell phone, "not" LOL

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Rain, honking ? Is Buddy a grey? I would love to see a photo! Yes, I have been giving him two or three Cheerios and I will check out the pine nuts. It is true they do feel our emotions. I do try to calm myself down around him and it really worked today. I just wish his little bare chest would quit fluttering when I get close to him. One step at a time and we are making progress. His feathers are growing back and he is getting fuzzy. I never grew up thinking I would love parrots, who knew that a bundle of feathers could turn you into a puddle of love?
No Buddy's a Mexican red headed amazon!

Photo you say!

IMG_20190318_182617.jpg

This is Buddy doing a happy dance on a hamburger box.

20190628_213108.jpg

This is Buddy w/ a Unapproved Vendor's Donut. He doesn't like that most or her stuff is good but hard. He's got a sensitive beak or something. The donuts are just right tho, I guess!

I never grew up thinking I would love parrots, who knew that a bundle of feathers could turn you into a puddle of love?
Agree'd! Now I'm beginning to wonder if I should seek a medical designation for him as a therapy animal. He works way better then any pill for my anxiety & depression. The thing is he's so much more than just an "animal" to me. He's "My" Bestest Buddy!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well more news!!! He has a thicker perch towards the back of his cage. It's concrete I think? Not sure of the material. It is stuck on his cage with a large wing nut. I was going to remove it since he seems to show no interest in sitting on it and give him new toys. Well, surprise he was sitting on it today. I have starting leaving him home alone for longer amounts of time. At first I was home most of the day and only gone for a few hours. I don't know what prompted him to sit on the perch, its good for his feet to get different sizes, so it stays.

Question, he has a swing as well but I'm not sure if he can get on it. He flings it with his beak. What size would it have to be so he can sit on it? I will try to get a photo but we all know how he LOVES the cell phone, "not" LOL
I think based on your last two posts he's making great progress w/ you & his cage. It's a big deal for them to start using a new perch. (I think) it means that they've made peace w/ it being put in their nest not by them. Acceptance! If it's concrete you don't want him to be on all the time. But days on & off will make his nails trimmed.

Also, in your last post you said he's got fuzzys on his chest? As new feather growth or as in plucking replacement feather growth. Either way, it sounds like a good thing! If it's the plucking thing, it could mean there's enough going on & keeping him from being bored, or a resolution to an allergy. That's why I asked.