• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Guys need a Michigan vet list asap!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I'M open to suggestions here, because I'm baffled
I had daylies products which I thought made poppers and grey off to begin with.
But actually Poppers is the only one sick.
Greyson is fine, birdell ( daughters bird now as of a month ago) is fine
Twinky ( also my daughter bird now as of a month ago) is fine.
Reese, ( daughters bird too) is fine
They all shared daileys products... 4 out of 5 birds are fine now.
Even ate my chop, and are fine, poppers is the only one with this issue now.
If she was sick and losing weight, going blind, the other birds would have done same.

That's what's baffling!! what's different ?

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I'm so sorry to hear about Poppers. I hope she makes a recovery with her eyesight and starts eating better. All of God's blessings for her!
Thanks Andrea .. .. I'm hoping. I've lost my share of birds, mainly old age. Because I take in what no one wants. But its so dang heartbreaking
to go through. We lost 5 birds since 2010.... The ones grew up with and had for years. I watched my wife cry over poppers tonite. As she sat cuddle on my wife non-responsive. She can't can't go thru losing anymore birds. And working under a vet she said poppers deteriorated quite quickly in past couple days since that happened.
She fears she won't make it thru week being as bad as she had been this evening. But I have hope. And I'm hanging onto that. She had her eyes closed most of afternoon and evening. Had to get her to open eyes and be alert to eat and drink... Hopefully its just because she (poppers) is exhausted....we'll see...

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Ripley was on a seed only diet when I got him and was really underweight. I'm a year in and he is finally starting to flesh out in the last few months. They can definitely eat nuts and seeds and not get fat. Their body has to be nourished too!
That what I don't get Shawna, Poppers is a chow hound. She should be fat....
Seed and pellets and nuts are not the only thing she gets. mornings they get scrambled egg whites, and fruit, evenings they get chop on plate which they share at table
which is sweet potato, lentils, pea out of pod ((fresh, I depod them myself), apples from yard, peaches, peppers, brown rice, sprouts, broccoli, pear, that was their chop
tonite. They are not lacking... but 4 birds gaining weight, one losing weight...baffling.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh gosh, poor darling Poppers! I hope things take a fast turn for the good.
I have hope for her to recover with the love and care you and your wife provide for her. Sending well wishes and loving healing thoughts for Poppers.
Hugs for you and your wife too :hug8::hug8:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That what I don't get Shawna, Poppers is a chow hound. She should be fat....
Seed and pellets and nuts are not the only thing she gets. mornings they get scrambled egg whites, and fruit, evenings they get chop on plate which they share at table
which is sweet potato, lentils, pea out of pod ((fresh, I depod them myself), apples from yard, peaches, peppers, brown rice, sprouts, broccoli, pear, that was their chop
tonite. They are not lacking... but 4 birds gaining weight, one losing weight...baffling.

Then there is something else going on

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

Then there is something else going on

I am inclined to agree with you. Something the vet missed. I'm very tempted today to take her to another vet for second opinion.
She has drainage from the mouth area this morning...almost like snot coming from mouth, ( excuse my phrasing)... But more alert than yesterday... Still can't see. I'm almost tempted to say it's a bacterial infection of her crop on top of her other issue...
Rough to get her to eat or drink.....so working on that...then probably back to vet.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have a question, and it’s just a question so please know I mean the best for Poppers. It’s more for @Hankmacaw @Macawnutz and others....

With finches/canaries, we treat regularly for protozoa, parasites and different types of mites. I don’t see that in parrots. Could something like that be going on? Or do they test for it, like a fecal?

Not the seizure, obviously — the weight loss.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I wonder if Poppers is missing the other birds??????

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I have a question, and it’s just a question so please know I mean the best for Poppers. It’s more for @Hankmacaw @Macawnutz and others....

With finches/canaries, we treat regularly for protozoa, parasites and different types of mites. I don’t see that in parrots. Could something like that be going on? Or do they test for it, like a fecal?

Not the seizure, obviously — the weight loss.

Good vets can tell.....and usually when a bird is at vet, they tend to poop a couple times at least, and vet will have a look, if a major concern, they'll test.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@finchly Macaws rarely get protozoas/parasites and are not regularly treated for them. They may get parasites if they live in very dirty conditions. More likely for Poppers is a fungal infection or a virus. Viruses are problematic in parrots due to the fact there are almost 50 types of virus that parrots are susceptible to and only a few that there are tests for (Newcastles, Pachecos Disease, Internal papillomatosis, psittacine polymatosis). Fungal infections are far more common and are much easier to test for, although some like AGY can be quite difficult to identify. This is a pretty inclusive list of diseases caused by fungal infections - my favorite is Aspergillosis and Sarah's is AGY.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Hawk12237 I'm going to make a couple of suggestions from things I have noticed in your listings of diets. She seems to get an awful lot of fruit, which is high sugars and will encourage fungal infections and sugar metabolizes directly to fat cells and provide little to no nutritional value. Egg whites every morning is (IMO) somewhat over doing it - my vet insists on no more than twice a week with about one third of the yolk. Even though Jasper is on a very high protein diet right now. Her Tofu provides a lot of protein. She also gets one walnut and three almonds per day (almonds have a lot of calcium and very little fat, walnut have mostly unsaturated fats and omega 3 which is very good for parrots.) I never feed Brazils, Pecans because of high saturated fat content.

Have you ever given your birds Red Palm Oil and Flax Oil (not flax seeds). I swear by the RPO and my Dr. swears by Flax Oil.

The vet should really look hard at a fungal infection in her throat, mouth or sinuses.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
PS - make sure your Dr. checks her blood pressure. It may have been the cause of her blowing out one eye. Jasper had very high blood pressure (235 - normal 150) and was put on Sildenafil for heart and blood pressure. The Sildenafil has kept her BP down below high normal.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
@Hawk12237 I'm going to make a couple of suggestions from things I have noticed in your listings of diets. She seems to get an awful lot of fruit, which is high sugars and will encourage fungal infections and sugar metabolizes directly to fat cells and provide little to no nutritional value. Egg whites every morning is (IMO) somewhat over doing it - my vet insists on no more than twice a week with about one third of the yolk. Even though Jasper is on a very high protein diet right now. Her Tofu provides a lot of protein. She also gets one walnut and three almonds per day (almonds have a lot of calcium and very little fat, walnut have mostly unsaturated fats and omega 3 which is very good for parrots.) I never feed Brazils, Pecans because of high saturated fat content.

Have you ever given your birds Red Palm Oil and Flax Oil (not flax seeds). I swear by the RPO and my Dr. swears by Flax Oil.

The vet should really look hard at a fungal infection in her throat, mouth or sinuses.

Thanks Mary!
Yea unfortunately she loves fruit... Though she likes veggies too. Loves spinach finely chopped and wet. And loves sweet potato. Loves carrots if they are steamed and soft. Loves a bit of baked chicken breast at times.
She loves eggs, but we limit that to about 3 times a week. Not a big nut eater, though she likes walnuts. Won't touch other nuts unless it's practically finely chopped.
Got to back off the fruits some, tofu is a good idea. Red palm oil, never tried, but have used the flax. Have oil and finely ground flax. I use the ground in their plain oat meal in mornings.
So thanks....I'm always open for suggestions.
Blood pressure spike, I didn't think of that.
But then I don't think well here when your up to wee hours for a couple days keeping an eye on bird and hand ( syringe feeding/ water) on and off. Your mind goes blank.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep going to her. She's 4 minutes away...I've never been to fond of dr. Buck as she's allergic to birds.

Not sure where you heard that from, Tanya has been going to her for years and she's even taken one of Tanya's birds home over a Holiday weekend just to keep an eye one her.

That's where I went... Dr. Buck... Shes actually board certified and quite good. I'm used to going to ann arbor, been my vet for years there...

Yes, she's very good, pricy, but good.

If you want a second opinion go to Our Practice — Bird and Exotic Pet Wellness Center
Hope you figure out what is going on with poor Poppers.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Not sure where you heard that from, Tanya has been going to her for years and she's even taken one of Tanya's birds home over a Holiday weekend just to keep an eye one her.

If you want a second opinion go to Our Practice — Bird and Exotic Pet Wellness Center
Friend of ours used to take their grey there, said she was allergic to birds. Wonder if she was referring to Dr. Buck. Personally I thought she was fantastic with poppers. Didn't appear allergic to birds to me. So our friend must be referring to someone else. I like this vet. First time I seen her. Hard to change vets, my original vet is in Ann arbor.
Pricey....ehhhh.... I've seen much higher.
2 xrays, bloodwork and full exam. $ 400
She's 5 minutes away.

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

Blood test was in range...
IMG_20190904_120727.jpg