• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Guys need a Michigan vet list asap!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Guys I need a vet list for michigan.... Can't get a hold of my vet, being it's the holiday.
Don't have time to explain....thanks

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Thanks guys, been calling around. Isn't it ironic that being the holiday they're all on call!?! Or can't be reached?
My wife resigned a few weeks back, along with a couple others that worked under vet and avian vet and one of those vets also resigned. Ethics of a few staff and vet lies to client on how their pets died in their care. I won't go into that.
I'm 4 minutes away from Kimberly buck, avian vet, yet just answering machine. One staff member called me back. Since she is a couple miles away popped in and had a look at poppers. Made notes for vet, said seems stable at moment, but something is going on she said.
Waiting for her to call me back. Then said might stick it out to morning and bring her in first thing.
But she is getting in touch with vet. Either way I expect a call any minute.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
What happened?!? I'm not entirely sure.
She vomited, and I have her a very deluted mixture of Apple cider vinegar...took one sip was all.
Then a little while latter, around 8:30-9 she acted a bit delusional, one leg out, claws clenced.
And almost like she didn't recognize me or my wife!
When I went to let her to ask what's wrong, she freaked, flew to my wife but was hanging upside down from arm, uncoordinated. I had to grab her by wings to lift her up. She couldn't hold balance on my wrist...flew to chair and crashed into pillow.
My wife just covered her mouth in disbelief.
I said have to seen or heard of this in the vets practice?? She said uhh yea..
Kinda...it resembles a stroke! But she also acts like she can't see. Which is odd.
She reached way out before placing foot unsure, and then used beak to feel, then back to foot then slips a little.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Nerd bird used to get night frights. He would wake up and start thrashing around scared to death and unable to see or focus properly. Usually one foot would be balled up as well. If I made any noise he'd startle and start bouncing of anything around him. If I touched him he'd lash out and bite as hard as he could. I learned to talk quietly to him and after 5 to 10 minutes he'd come out of it, start making noises again and start eating and see me. He did that his whole life life occasionally and never had a permanent issue because of it. I THINK what happened is his foot would fall asleep and he'd wake up to a numb non working foot and completely freak out till the feeling came back. He always seemed to be working and messing with one foot once he came back. He made it 31 years with me and you might want to look up Pionus night frights as I think Amazons are kinda related to Pionus.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Nerd bird used to get night frights. He would wake up and start thrashing around scared to death and unable to see or focus properly. Usually one foot would be balled up as well. If I made any noise he'd startle and start bouncing of anything around him. If I touched him he'd lash out and bite as hard as he could. I learned to talk quietly to him and after 5 to 10 minutes he'd come out of it, start making noises again and start eating and see me. He did that his whole life life occasionally and never had a permanent issue because of it. I THINK what happened is his foot would fall asleep and he'd wake up to a numb non working foot and completely freak out till the feeling came back. He always seemed to be working and messing with one foot once he came back. He made it 31 years with me and you might want to look up Pionus night frights as I think Amazons are kinda related to Pionus.
I can understand night fright, but this was before her bed time, and in living room. Lights on and all.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Ocasionaly Nerd would freak out in the morning or middle of the day but most times it was after bed time and once everybody had been asleep awhile. However I'm pretty positive every time it happened he was snoozing and they all like to nap during the day.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Could be a calcium deficiency? This causes a stroke like reaction,,or balled up feet, inability to fly, uncontrollably flying, tongue licking or licking the beak,..the most obvious symptoms..according to my avian vet, shivering and / or quivering.. hope shes ok,let her rest , check her during the night, .. prayers!!