• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Guys need a Michigan vet list asap!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Sending positive thoughts for Poppers!❤❤❤

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
How is Poppers this morning?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Wishing Poppers the very best.

That sounded much more like a seizure rather than a stroke. With a stroke the bird is generally still and a portion of it's body is "paralyzed". Just the few weeks before Hank died he had several seizures and he was active, but not under control. One or both feet clenched is common in seizures. A seizure is scary as heck, but not nearly as detrimental to a bird's long term health as a strokes.

Do you have a source of oxygen that is the best immediate therapy for a seizure or a stroke?

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Currently been sitting here at vets all morning. They have poppers in back. Confirmed, she went blind out of one eye, possible sezure. Will get back to everyone. IMG_20190903_110235.jpg poop

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sending prayers to Poppers.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:sadhug2:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Just got home....
Blood test normal, Xrays normal apart from the arteries from heart stick out. Suggesting enlarged heart. No organ issues, no tumors, but weight dropped down to 362....odd. She could stand to bring her weight up a 100 grams at least.
Prognosis, she went suddenly blind out of one eye. All she sees is shadows. The other eye is starting. But not bad at all.
I'm other words, she had a small stroke...
I'm devastated....my wife has been in tears.
When you think you know it all and do everything right, this happens.
Feel free to up date everyone I haven't the time at the moment. Have to make her living conditions different now...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So sorry to hear yours and her life have changed so suddenly. Happy she is with someone though that is able and willing to help her through this scary time :hug8:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I'm do sorry to read this. I wonder if what @Hankmacaw said about O2 box wouldn't be a bad idea to have on hand. Also I wondered how much WD trash food had to do with this? She is in best hands possible with both. Com'on sweetheart you can do this, get better big girl.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Wishing Poppers the very best.

That sounded much more like a seizure rather than a stroke. With a stroke the bird is generally still and a portion of it's body is "paralyzed". Just the few weeks before Hank died he had several seizures and he was active, but not under control. One or both feet clenched is common in seizures. A seizure is scary as heck, but not nearly as detrimental to a bird's long term health as a strokes.

Do you have a source of oxygen that is the best immediate therapy for a seizure or a stroke?

Thanks Mary,
No actually I don't have oxygen source.
Think it's time I got one.
Yes it is scary to go through....watching her was like watching her suffer seriously.
Heart breaking!!
The blood tests were normal in range.
She had the full panel in mid july....so it hasn't been 2 months yet since last blood test. But her blood ranges returned to normal since last test. Which is good.
Her Xrays today showed no internal or organ issues.
However her weight hasn't come up from last time which was baffling. She's at 362 grams, which for her build, could stand to put 100 grams on at least.
The issue though his she lost her sight out of one eye suddenly. She see shadows.
Bet held a couple odd instruments on one side of her. Normally she would back away, she plain didn't see them...go to other side she moved away.
I thought Ohhhh man. It's tough as he11 because I can't put finger on just what it could be. She doesn't have vitamin deficiency. But back when I last took her to vet when she gotten sick from dayleys, she was lacking nutrition apparently. She wasn't getting any vitamins or nutrition from dayleies.
So back to my diet for her...which after what, 6-7 weeks, you'd think her weight would come back.
Vet says her arteries to eye shut. She thought maybe m ild stroke or siezure.
but leaned more towards seizure.
Put her on meds which I have to use syringe....fun fun. Permanent medication.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Could be a calcium deficiency? This causes a stroke like reaction,,or balled up feet, inability to fly, uncontrollably flying, tongue licking or licking the beak,..the most obvious symptoms..according to my avian vet, shivering and / or quivering.. hope shes ok,let her rest , check her during the night, .. prayers!!
Possible, but blood tests didn't show any deficiency....even my wife pointed out to vet she's on a great diet.
But vet said she had to come away from nuts, and seeds some.
Poppers won't eat pellets...I've tried many types, she just won't touch it. So I make up for it with fresh veggies and fruit. Problem is she loves fruit too much...!!! Fruit has natural sugar.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Both Sarah (@Macawnutz) and I have oxygen concentrators and we both have Devilbuss concentrators. Hank (before he died) and Jasper both got 2 hours of oxygen a day. Jasper still gets two hours per day. My Dr. says that the oxygen has most likely extended Jaspers life and Hank could not have survived without it (he died from cancer a carciniod thyroid tumor). We both bought from this company Used, Refurbished & Rebuilt Home Oxygen Concentrators | oxygenplusconcentrators
and have been completely satisfied with their service and the products. You don't need more than a 5 liter machine.

As little as you will use one you will not need a new one a used one is fine.

You will hear some people say there is a danger of oxygen poisoning - that is not true. My vet who is an excellent vet has told me more than once that you cannot hurt an animal by giving it oxygen.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Both Sarah (@Macawnutz) and I have oxygen concentrators and we both have Devilbuss concentrators. Hank (before he died) and Jasper both got 2 hours of oxygen a day. Jasper still gets two hours per day. My Dr. says that the oxygen has most likely extended Jaspers life and Hank could not have survived without it (he died from cancer a carciniod thyroid tumor). We both bought from this company Used, Refurbished & Rebuilt Home Oxygen Concentrators | oxygenplusconcentrators
and have been completely satisfied with their service and the products. You don't need more than a 5 liter machine.

You will hear some people say there is a danger of oxygen poisoning - that is not true. My vet who is an excellent vet has told me more than once that you cannot hurt an animal by giving it oxygen.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

Thanks mary for the link...I'll definitely get one!
She hasn't eaten much at all today, tried everything. Then my wife made oatmeal, with fresh pureed apples and peaches in it. Plain old fashioned oatmeal no salt or sugar. She ate that.
Fresh chop...she usually loves...wouldn't eat...my grey did. IMG_20190903_172640.jpg IMG_20190903_173154.jpg

Last edited:

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I've only seen your bird stories for a short time since I've been inactive but Poppers could not be in better hands to help her with whatever is going on.

Do you think she had trouble finding you and her way around because of her lost eyesight or did she seem disoriented and unbalanced too?
I'm so sorry she's having such scary issues and hope this once incident is the end of her troubles (no chronic seizures please!!) and she recovers as well as she can.
:sadhug2: