• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Guys, i need advice

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Please do not take my post or others as being mean. By all means I hope you do not.

It's a hard subject for me when it comes to rehoming pets. It is an unimaginable thought to process for me anyway. I would do whatever I could to keep my dependent pets while they had no say so in me adopting them, or buying them (2 birds) the rest all adopted.

In your situation it's a tough one for sure. Moving around as such with your Families job etc is not one where any pets should be a part of with that type of life right now.

I wish you the best, and hope someday you can have all the pets you desire.

:)

Last edited:

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
:( please don't think we want to leave our pets here. If we get more pets there, it's not even my choice, my brothers want more cats, my parents want a dog. I don't have any control over that, I will see if there is anything we can do, to bring ours, I will, were talking a long distance, from one side of Africa to the other, maybe 10 flights or so, it would be selfish to make them go through that, wouldn't it? Last time, we put then in a car for 8 hours (with food water everything) they almost died, from the stress, all of them were quite emotionally damaged too. This time they would have to wait in whatever country for months, they are beautiful pets, and worth a lot, they would probably be stolen by the time we come :(.

:sad6:

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´d die before I give up Jacob. Not for nothing, or no one. He stays with me ´til death do us part - literally.

Your parents are supposed to be responsible adults, yet are acting like kids wanting pets and not thinking of the future.

The best thing is your family not getting pets until they are settled, years down the road.

Maybe you can help to make them see sense. Why get another cat and dog, just to rehome in a year when you all move again.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with @Zara, I'd give up everything I had if it meant I could keep my companions. Having moved around a lot as a child, I had no choice in the matter and was always coming or going, having to leave my companions behind. Now, as an adult, there's nothing on this earth that could separate me from my animal. If I lived in an apartment that decided no pets, then I'd leave. If there was ever an emergency where the city had to be evacuated, my companions would be the first to be situated, going where ever I went, and if they weren't allowed, then I'd keep moving. Your animals don't understand moving, all they know if that their human(s) are leaving without them.
You have friends and family. Your companions only have you.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm really not sure how to explain this, I'm sorry. But my parents aren't irresponsible, their trying their best. I'm sure, If you knew me and my family personally, you would change your mind. I hope that you guys can somehow understand.

What if the only way to bring your beloved animal, was to risk their lives? Would you still? I really don't want to leave them! neither does any of us! The whole family is trying to find a way to keep them.

I sorry guys, I'm listening to all of your advice, trying to do anything I can to bring them. Thank you guys for the advice.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm really not sure how to explain this, I'm sorry. But my parents aren't irresponsible, their trying their best. I'm sure, If you knew me and my family personally, you would change your mind. I hope that you guys can somehow understand.

What if the only way to bring your beloved animal, was to risk their lives? Would you still? I really don't want to leave them! neither does any of us! The whole family is trying to find a way to keep them.

I sorry guys, I'm listening to all of your advice, trying to do anything I can to bring them. Thank you guys for the advice.

I don't think your parents are bad people. Situations happen, and it's unfortunate that animals end up paying the biggest cost of all in the end.
To answer your question about risking my animals' life if it meant they'd stay with me, I'd honestly take my chances. Animals are a lot more resilient than are given credit.
I worry about my bird around-the-clock, but he's a tough guy and has made it this far. He has the will to live and keep trying, and as long as he has that, I'll do whatever I can to make his life as fulfilling as possible, even if it means going without certain things for myself. Our animals depend on us in every aspect of the word, and we have to fight tooth and nail for them. Not saying you aren't, but so many people end up between a rock and a hard place and the first thing they say is: "well, we can get rid of the dog, cat, etc."
The way I see it, if you had a small child, would you so easily leave them behind?
Whatever the outcome befalls your companions, I'm hoping for the best so everyone can stay together.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The thing is, there are lots of people that have to rehome pets for unforeseen circumstances. It sucks but some people have no choice.

The problem is your parents are going to give up these cats and dogs, then go and buy more, knowing they will have to give them up again.

Nobody on this forum can call your parents bad people, we don´t know them. But they are irresponsible, if what you say is true.

It sounds like they have a very difficult life. The last thing they should be doing is bringing animals into that.

I hope you understand what I´m trying to say.

we are moving, we have to rehome all of our pets! Our 3 cats and dog,
Our parents told us they are really sorry, and that we can get any pet we want. My parents said that i can get a bird.
First we are going to Canada for like a year
Then they would have to go on a bunch of flights to some new African country
It's not an easy move, its one of those sell everything moves, were only bringing our clothes and personal items, we sell everything else, this isn't the first time either, it's the third,
If we get more pets there, it's not even my choice, my brothers want more cats, my parents want a dog.

Last edited:

Kodigirl210

I think that it is also concerning what a pattern this establishes for pets with you and your brother in the future. You are being taught that animals are a convenience & disposable. You, yourself stated if you got a bird, the max time you would spend with it right now is 3yrs because you are planning to go to college. Parrotlets, lovebirds, budgies & conures are some of the smallest parrots you can get and they live on average 20+ years. You would take a sentient bird, bond with it & totally send it spinning off into depression, possibly self-mutilation and all kinds of other issues because you like & want the novelty of it to enjoy for a few years. Can you not understand why people have an issue with that? Everyone has dealt with or are friends with someone who has dealt with fids that are abandoned & rehomed through no fault of their own. Members have had to deal with teaching trust, teaching them that they won’t be abandoned again, making sure that they do everything they can to stop fids from plucking or biting themselves or hiding off in a corner because they just can’t understand what just happened.

I appreciate that you are taking the time to rehome your cats and dog but they aren’t birds. I’m not saying that one is worth more than the other, I’m merely saying that birds have a long memory and can constantly dwell, fuss and try to understand why this terrible thing happened. Dogs and cats get new homes and under normal conditions will assimilate into their new families. A rehomed bird may not because of the trauma and then they may face being rehomed again and again and again until they find someone who won’t give up on them because the original owners felt they were an inconvenience. That’s what concerns everyone here.

I’m sure your family is wonderful. They are missionaries so they give of their time and resources to people in need. I just think they need to give a little more thought about the animals and maybe not get them instead of justifying what’s it’s ok to dump them like garbage at the end of the day.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
When travelling distances with animals that stress you can take them to the vets.

Stress is natural and most animals will be stressed, its not unusual.

The vets may suggest to sedate them or give you tablets to give to them that calms them down, if it's a long distance or they could become ill from stress. Thats what we did whem we moved from country to country.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
When travelling distances with animals that stress you can take them to the vets.

Stress is natural and most animals will be stressed, its not unusual.

The vets may suggest to sedate them or give you tablets to give to them that calms them down, if it's a long distance or they could become ill from stress. Thats what we did whem we moved from country to country.
Thank you! I will defiantly look into that!

@Kodigirl210 I'm having trouble explaining this, I think I might have given you the wrong idea. We don't think their disposable, one use kind of things, we didn't know any other way of doing it, we love our pets, a lot, we just didn't think there was any other options, but to rehome. I'm sorry

The thing is, there are lots of people that have to rehome pets for unforeseen circumstances. It sucks but some people have no choice.

The problem is your parents are going to give up these cats and dogs, then go and buy more, knowing they will have to give them up again.

Nobody on this forum can call your parents bad people, we don´t know them. But they are irresponsible, if what you say is true.

It sounds like they have a very difficult life. The last thing they should be doing is bringing animals into that.

I hope you understand what I´m trying to say.
Yes, I do understand, but let me just explain something here,

Move 1, we were going into the field of missions, my parents worked for a small organization,

Move 2, we had to move because they were treating my parents really bad, and cruel, so we moved to here.

Move 3, we still have the same boss that caused a problem last time, it's gone bad again so we have to move,

Now, my parents are done with those bosses, and going to work for the organization that cares about our mom and dad and families. We know that this is the place, this should be the last move, so were not just going to move again like some of you suggest.

For those of you who think were just moving to Canada for a year, what I meant was we are going to Canada for fundraising, dropping my sister off for college, and relocation, were not going to live there, it's basically just a pitstop.

Also @Zara, my parents aren't irresponsible, they didn't know we were going to move, and they didn't want the pets that much, it was for their kids comfort, we asked for them.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I am so sad to share this... but we've given away our kitten, i tried everything. A nice American couple took her :( I miss her so much

Kodigirl210

Overall, I think you did give me the right impression. The animals were purchased as a comfort item-a security blanket in a way your parents couldn’t provide. After the 2nd move, most would have waited to get any pets because the likelihood of more issues because you were with the same organization would be inevitable. Your parents not only didn’t wait to see how things would go, they went ahead and got you more pets. Now you are going to Canada for a year to do the errands and stuff & with your current pets not even in new homes, your parents offer again to get “the kids” new pets that will have to be rehomed in less than a year. Not knowing how well this new organization will work out for the family, your parents will no doubt offer you more animals to return to Africa. And if the new organization doesn’t work out either (though I truly it does because your parents seem very committed) you will no doubt move again and would have to rehome the next set of pets. I can see that your parents very much so believe that your parents see the animals as things and disposable. It is a bribe like you would offer a child throwing a tantrum in a store. Just do this thing for me or be quiet or whatever and I will get you that toy/pet/clothes you have been asking for. I want to stress I do not doubt your parents or your family’s commitment to the calling. I just think that because you want to believe that your parents see your pets as family, it never would cross your mind that they don’t. But anyone who goes into situations, sometimes short ones, doesn’t have the strength of commitment to a pet they know that they will get rid of and not even blink about getting a new one. It’s a case of the people are more important to than the animals. I’m not saying their view is wrong-I’m just saying you need to recognize it for what it is. And I saw furthermore that you stated if you got a bird it would be for 3y because “no way” was it going to college with you. A very visible exclamation point that you’ve been taught that animals are a convenience and always have to fit into your lifestyle or they will be gotten rid of rather than you adapting your lifestyle and making changes so that any pet you get will have that sense of family and longevity that is so lacking here. And once again, I want to stress this is not a criticism or cut down of you and your family. It is simply My thoughts as a person on the outside looking in. You will in the end do what’s best for you and your family. In this case the best should be to wait until you have a truly permanent location after you have completed college. That way another pet will not end up in a tailspin because you dumped it after 3y to go to college. Other family memebers do not make up for the bonded and even if you left the bird with the family the poor thing could still fall into depression, pull out all their feathers, etc. the bond with your bird is yours. No one else’s. So if you take nothing else away from this, please take away to wait. You have a lot of time to get a bird that doesn’t have to end up being rehomed and that you have a very hard working family dedicated to people. Best Wishes ;)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Mahatma Gandhi — 'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.'

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thank you @Kodigirl210

We've decided it would be too heart broken to get a bunch of new pets at the new place, if anything we might just get one cat, or a dog. But not a pet palace again.

So i've wanted to share this here,
Our 12 week old kitten, we just gave away, she was so special to us. One night she showed up at our door, hungry and crying, she was probably 4 weeks old. We brought her inside, gave her some warm milk, then slowly weened her onto wet food (we don't believe in feeding animals milk) she loved it, she ate it all the time, it was her favorite. She was so cute, she would snuggle under our necks to sleep, and in our arms. She was so amazing. When she got a bit older, she became a crazy black panther, she would run around the house, behind the couches and all her favorite hiding places, then we would catch her, or she would catch us. She loved her toys and was the cutest little one. She would do summer salts over her toys, and chase them all around the house. Then we heard we were moving. We told people in the morning, and someone took her by night, and they haven't said anything to us, we don't even know how she is, if she's happy, scared, sad. I really miss her.
Sorry, i just really needed to vent.

What i meant was that we get pets after we get back from Canada BTW.

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Judie!
I'm sorry you don't know how she is & that someone just took her.

:sadhug2:

Things can be bought again. As you know w/ your kitty now, pets cannot be bought again & replaced. I think that's what everyone here was trying to help you to realize.

I hope your move goes well, please check in & let us know how you are. Again I'm sorry for your loss.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Hi Judie!
I'm sorry you don't know how she is & that someone just took her.

:sadhug2:

Things can be bought again. As you know w/ your kitty now, pets cannot be bought again & replaced. I think that's what everyone here was trying to help you to realize.

I hope your move goes well, please check in & let us know how you are. Again I'm sorry for your loss.
Thank you :sadhug2:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Did you not get a phone number for the person who you gave the cat to?

At the start of february, I ¨gave away¨ 3 of my lovebird chicks. They are the only animals I have given away ever (I kept the other chicks).
But I stay in touch with all of them. 2 are with my friend and her husband, and one is with a neighbours friend and her husband.
I see pictures, videos and updates on facebook or whatsapp messenger.

Maybe you could find some contact deftails for these people. You must have a name or number for them as they came to you home and you gave your cat to them...

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
We do have their number, i asked my mom to ask how she's doing, she said she would soon, but I'm dying to know really.