• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Guys, i need advice

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I know i've been posting a lot lately, but something big just happened, we are moving, we have to rehome all of our pets! Our 3 cats and dog, the guys we've had for the past 4 years, i can't believe this. :(

Our parents told us they are really sorry, and that we can get any pet we want. My parents said that i can get a bird. This country literally, has like any kind of parrot i want, my parents are willing to buy a new cage, we are already having to replace all cooking pans in the house (so now, no more teflon coated pans) we will get the right food, and it's actually possible.

But we still have to go there, and I'm not sure, but i really need your guys opinion, should i wait till i move out, or should i take this opportunity, i really don't know, is it wise? What do you guys think?

Last edited:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry to hear that you have to rehome your pets.

This is an even bigger argument in favour of waiting until you're an adult making your own decisions. What's stopping your parents from going "whoops, we thought we wouldn't have to do this again, but we have to move again and we can't take the pets with us" in a couple of years? All our previous advice about waiting until you're out of college and have a better idea of what your life looks like still stands.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Are your parents going to also pay for avian vet care? Parents don't realize how much money it takes to keep even a small bird and provide for all of their needs. I wish you luck with this decision.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Personally, I would still wait. Once you're independent from your parents, you'll be a lot more at ease with having control over your lifestyle/companions.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I am soooo confused about the rehoming, yet your Parents saying you can get any pet you want??? You can get a bird? You already have pets!

I am baffled by this- and to rehome your cats and dog is just flat out MEAN to do to them. I am sorry to come off this sour but I cannot think of any other way when this happens. Your Parents should find a place that accepts pets.

I cannot be cool about this, this sort of thing makes my blood sting.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
I am soooo confused about the rehoming, yet your Parents saying you can get any pet you want??? You can get a bird? You already have pets!

I am baffled by this- and to rehome your cats and dog is just flat out MEAN to do to them. I am sorry to come off this sour but I cannot think of any other way when this happens. Your Parents should find a place that accepts pets.

It is true there are places that allows pets.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Don't get a bird now. If you can't have control of the outcome it isn't time.

You can't just re-home pets because of a move....tossing out your family members.. it is heart breaking.

I don't care if your parents said you can have a pet, it doesn't sounds like the time.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yea, I´m with @Love My Zons , Why can´t you take the cats and dog, but you can buy new pets after the move? Why can´t you take the existing pets to the new place??

It just doesn´t make sense.

Your parents are rubbish pet owners. I´m sorry, but they are. They view pets as objects not family members or even beings.

This is an even bigger argument in favour of waiting until you're an adult making your own decisions. What's stopping your parents from going "whoops, we thought we wouldn't have to do this again, but we have to move again and we can't take the pets with us" in a couple of years?
Exactly.
Imagine they did buy you that bird the other month.... well, that bird would be getting rehomed now. You dodged a bullet on that one! You were very wise to wait. It shows how responsible you are.

I know you will be a great bird owner one day, when you´re independent and in control of your own life :)

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

I'll second that.

katebf38

Sprinting down the street
The fact that you are reasoning through your situation leads me to believe you’ll do the right thing. Wait until you can manage responsible pet ownership on your own. You’ll know when the time is really right. Good luck!:goodluck:

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
I dislike people who think its okay to rehome pets and then buy a new pet a few months later. Its not right pets are family not just items in the house you can replace!

you should wait till you older and have your own money to look after it

Kodigirl210

It sounds to me like your parents don’t see pets the way people should or even maybe how you see them. They are our companions and we make a commitment to them. If you get a birb, what happens when your parents decide the bird is too much trouble?. What happens if you have to move again? What happens when the birb is “too loud” or “too messy” or the “too expensive?”

I can’t even begin to bear having to think about rehoming my birb. And the stress of not having any idea if tomorrow is the day I have to give them up would kill me. My fids are my babies.

Please think about what you are looking at doing. A parrot will be a 25-60+ year responsibility and not something that gets shuffled to the side or gotten rid of because it doesn’t fit into the next phase of you and your parents life.

So with that in mind, I would highly recommend waiting until you have the final says so about where you live, what pets you keep or how you live your life.

Wishing you the best.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
A lot of you are confused about why we have to rehome our pets, why my parents would do that, let's just say it wasn't any easy decision.

It's a long story but basically we have to leave, there are better things somewhere else, and my dad is being treated really bad, and if we stay, our dad might have to leave, and worse things are happening.

We live in Tanazania, and we have these beautiful pets, they are family to even my parents. We have to rehome them because were worried about them. First we are going to Canada for like a year, so our pets would be alone, and people are so stupid, they won't let out pets go to Canada with us because they think they will bring diseases and such!

Then they would have to go on a bunch of flights to some new African country (which we still don't know where that is),then a few months in quarantine, alone, they might steal them, our not feed them.

Our pets don't do well in stress, they almost died on a 8 hour car trip. Things don't quite work the way they do there, here, there is no order. I already have to leave everything here, friends, my swim club, etc. My siblings are really upset, especially about the pets, my younger brother is really sad, he loves his cats.

No, it's not OK, to rehome pets, but wouldn't it seem selfish if we show up at our new place to find, all of them either stolen, or dead?? None of us want to, we are all really sad, i think the worst part of this is definatly the pets. :( My parents were really sorry, that's why they want to get us more pets, so that we feel better. But if we stay, our family might fall apart.

I think I will still wait for birds, I may be able to get my dream bird, but there is no way he is coming to college, I would only get to be with him for a few years. I will wait.

Last edited:

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
It's not an easy move, its one of those sell everything moves, were only bringing our clothes and personal items, we sell everything else, this isn't the first time either, it's the third, luckily last time we could bring our pets (the 8 hour car trip). The first time our Canadian cat had to stay back. Being a Missionary kid isn't easy, trust me, it's really hard.

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Isn't there a way to have the cats & dog checked by a vet to make them able to go from country to country. Thats what I'd be doing is researching for my parents how to help maybe keep your pets & move them. I'm not saying that the answer is out there but it can't hurt to look around online & call your vet. I'm sorry that this is happening to your family.

I have to agree w/ the others. I'd be fearful to get a bird when I can't have full control of what will become your best friend. Even some of the smaller birds can live 20+ years. You'll probably have kids by then. Think all this through, I'm sorry We've all seen the horrors of what happens to "disposable" pets. Many have spent a ton of money, more money just in personal time dedicating their lives to abused & orphaned birds.

Life happens you have to be in control, this isn't easy like a dog or a cat that live 10 ish yrs. These are pets that can outlive us. That's how I got my bird, my Dad died. He was my age when he got Buddy. I've either got 35 + more yrs w/ him or my daughter will inherit him next. That will be 1 bird & 3 generations of my family that cared for him.

Birds are serious business as pets.

:gbh:

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thanks @Rain Bow i will do whatever i can to keep them, but even if a vet checks over them, they still probably won't allow it. Maybe it's cause they think our pets are diseased or something, or maybe it's because the vets aren't certified, they probably never went to school. We have friends who are doing this as well, they have like 20 pets, maybe more. They have to leave, and all of their pets need homes too, it's not that my parents are mean or don't care about animals, everyone of us has to do this. There is a few families i have in mind, I have their number, so i can ask about them at any time. I really want that to be a last resort though. :(

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
First we are going to Canada for like a year, so our pets would be alone, and people are so stupid, they won't let out pets go to Canada with us because they think they will bring diseases and such!

I already have to leave everything here, friends, my swim club, etc. My siblings are really upset, especially about the pets, my younger brother is really sad, he loves his cats.

No, it's not OK, to rehome pets, but wouldn't it seem selfish if we show up at our new place to find, all of them either stolen, or dead?? None of us want to, we are all really sad, i think the worst part of this is definatly the pets. :( My parents were really sorry, that's why they want to get us more pets, so that we feel better. But if we stay, our family might fall apart.

I think I will still wait for birds, I may be able to get my dream bird, but there is no way he is coming to college, I would only get to be with him for a few years. I will wait.
Yes! Please wait. To know you are going to be in Canada "first"...for "like a year." ----That is not a stable environment to have any new pet.

It's not an easy move, its one of those sell everything moves, were only bringing our clothes and personal items, we sell everything else, this isn't the first time either, it's the third, luckily last time we could bring our pets (the 8 hour car trip). The first time our Canadian cat had to stay back. Being a Missionary kid isn't easy, trust me, it's really hard.
Your dogs, cats, bird and any other animal are surely worth more than a few personal items.

I am very pleased you are of a sensible mind and came looking for advise. It seems very clear from your own words that you are not ready for a pet. Have patience. Maybe try doing some volunteer work at an animal rescue in the meantime. It can help give you your animal connection.

You can share compassion with the poor dogs and cats that have been left behind. It might be very eye opening to see how emotionally damaging it is for them.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If this is the case, then do not let your parents buy any more pets.

Look at their past history. They don´t make good pet owners as they move so often and don´t take pets with them. Don´t even let them get a cat or dog. It is not fair to them.

Moving around all the time is fine, if that´s what you gotta do. But don´t bring animals into the equation.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Canada? For a year? Just to get a bird and rehome it 10-11 months later? I say forget it for now. Perhaps a new friend in Canada will have a bird you can enjoy together. Maybe even a volunteer weekend job helping at a bird rescue centre. Get that experience over the coming months so when you do eventually have a stable home and plenty of time you'll have all that valuable experience to give a parrot a great home.
My dad was in the army so every 2 years we had to move countries. My parents never wanted to put our pets through quarantine so would rehome them with every move. That wasn't fair to the pets OR US. We always had to lose friends when we moved. 2 years isn't long enough to get a BFF. As a kid it really messed me up. Now imagine how messed up it would make a parrot.
Hold off, get some knowledge and experience now, so when you are in a position to look after a bird friend you can give them the best life possible. And be proud of that.