• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Guinea Pigs??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
I really think you should get a chinchilla. As long as you keep your house pretty cool, around 75 is as hot as I recommend you keep them, our chin room is much cooler. You should look at my website and see some of the adorable pictures I have, sometimes I dress them up in hats and stuff, it is priceless! It is CHINCHILLAS GALORE SOUTH FLORIDA - Home

There is nothing cuter than a baby chinchilla!

OMG!! If I lived in Florida I would so be buying a Chinchilla from you! They are soo adorable! I never knew Chinchillas made such good pets!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Thanks everyone!! Lots of good info!

My biggest problem with the Guinea Pigs is cage size. The rescue I would be getting them from requires a 50" x 30" C & C cage which they provide but I do not have a space large enough for a cage that size. The cage would be in my bedroom, my living room is taken up with bird cages, lol

What size cage do your Chinchilla's have? It looks like you can go higher instead of wider? Those Chinchilla's sure are cute!!
Chinchillas prefer higher than wider. My cage is very tall with lots of shelves leading upwards. I can take a picture tonight and post it. But here is the cage my chinchilla has: 2-Door Chinchilla Mansion™ Starter Package [CNS-48-2D-S] - $327.75 : Quality Cage Company

I got that starter kit too. It comes with the wheel, shelves, etc. It's a good deal! I also LOVE the two doors. And the cage is great quality.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Thank you so much Kacy! You are so helpful and making me want a Chinchilla now! LOL

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
ok I just took some photos! They are just from my cell - so the quality is bad. Please excuse any poo :) I guess I should have swept the shelves off first. Oh well LOL You can see what the poo is like! :) Oh and his water is not green. There is a plastic floating turtle in there to show the water line.

I interrupted his nap! Look at his little hand!!

Wondering what I am doing?!

Last edited:

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Um, I think she's been helpful in making us ALL want a Chinchilla. HAHA!

I seriously was just looking for one locally. I really want a White Ebony I think it's called??? Anyways, I'm coming to my senses and leaving my computer so I'll forget about getting one.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
OMG, I want one!! He is soo cute!! Love the cage too!

But I was just looking for local breeders and could not find one, I hate to purchase from a Pet store:(

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Um, I think she's been helpful in making us ALL want a Chinchilla. HAHA!

I seriously was just looking for one locally. I really want a White Ebony I think it's called??? Anyways, I'm coming to my senses and leaving my computer so I'll forget about getting one.
You are so right! She is a bad influence! :lol:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
OMG, I want one!! He is soo cute!! Love the cage too!

But I was just looking for local breeders and could not find one, I hate to purchase from a Pet store:(
Oh, there has got to be a breeder! I'll help. :) I have nothing else to do right now LOL I could also email my breeder and see if she knows anyone near you. She's very active in the breeding community and knows a lot of people.

As long as the chin is handled daily at the pet store it should be ok. You would just have to go and have a meet and greet! Maybe you could find some in rescues too. I think they are harder to come by though.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy

You are so right! She is a bad influence! :lol:
I'm known for this. LOL I am also into saltwater tanks and I am a bad influence on people in that world as well. :D

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
How far would you be willing to drive? LOL :)

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
How far would you be willing to drive? LOL :)
That is the problem. lol I have no car so getting places that are far is hard. My mom usually drives me when I need to go somewhere but her car won't make a long trip, it is old.

I will have to wait awhile, well it will give me time to save up for Chinchilla stuff, maybe by then I will have a car.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Haha that definitely makes it harder! :) Ok well I can do some investigating and see what I can find!!

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
You like them Kacy? The white one looks kind of like what I wanted...like the "White Ebony"? The cage looks pretty big too. If you look at the pic of the cage, the white one is sitting on the highest platform, but there's no ramp up there. How did she get up there...jump?

Last edited:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
You like them Kacy? The white one looks kind of like what I wanted...like the "White Ebony"? The cage looks pretty big too. If you look at the pic of the cage, the white one is sitting on the highest platform, but there's no ramp up there. How did she get up there...jump?
It looks like a pretty nice cage. It's a good size. With two in there they will like quite a bit of out of cage time.

Yes, she jumped!! They can jump like 4ft high!

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
:omg:, there's no roof on the cage. I wonder if they jump out of it??? lol I'm seriously thinking of replying tomorrow morning. What is a "Mosaic" Chinchilla? Is that like a Pied bird? hahah!

I'll have to sleep on this.

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
I posted a pic on "Feathered Photos Fairway" and was reading responses. Of course I stopped back here and it started all over again. HAHA!

Status
Not open for further replies.