• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Guinea Pigs??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Who has Guinea Pigs and what are they like as pets? I was looking into adopting a rabbit but now thinking about Guinea Pigs instead.

I can't make up my mind! LOL

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
guinea pigs!!! I love guinea pigs :cheer:
funny my son just called me and said he wants to get a guinea pig.

omg now I want a guinea pig :)

can you tell I love guinea pigs!!! :hehe:
Squeeeeeak!!!

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
guinea pigs!!! I love guinea pigs :cheer:
funny my son just called me and said he wants to get a guinea pig.

omg now I want a guinea pig :)

can you tell I love guinea pigs!!! :hehe:
Squeeeeeak!!!
Can I ask why you love Guinea Pigs so much? I had one as a kid but don't remember much about them.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Have you thought of a chinchilla, they are really popular, so are those sugar gliders.
I have cats so Sugar gliders are to small and I hear they bite a lot. I am looking to keep my critter close to cat size to eliminate some prey issues, although my cats don't seem to have any prey issues, lol they don't hunt, they just look pretty.

Don't know much about chinchilla's but also have been told they are biters as well. Of course I have no first hand experience with either so these could be myths.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Chinchillas are the best pets ever, and they DO NOT bite. I have no clue who started that rumor, but I have 120 of them, and have breed them for 12 years, and never once have I been bitten. I have been bitten by rabbits and hamsters, but never a chinchilla. Definitely not something to rule out, and they live longer than any other small animals too :)

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine

Can I ask why you love Guinea Pigs so much? I had one as a kid but don't remember much about them.
Those lips!!! :rofl: I can't resist that cute nose/lips face :hehe:
and I love the squeak for lettuce :lol:
very friendly too and they don't bite.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I've had guinea pigs and rabbits. They are both cute - but not always so interactive.

I have a chinchilla. AWESOME. Awesome!!! He is so much fun! They are really easy to care for and are not usually biters (there is always the exception). My little guy has never bitten anyone, LOVES the petted and is so much fun to watch bounce off the walls and run everywhere. Oh and they are hypoallergenic!

I got mine as a wee baby from a breeder, so he was always handled and super sweet. I would be more nervous about petshop ones.

The only "bad" thing is that they require a large cage - so that can be an issue if you don't have room. My guy's cage is over 6 ft tall!! LOL And they also can get heatstroke easily, so if you live somewhere really hot, then it isn't a good idea.

Last edited:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Ohhh, now I have to look into Chinchillas! Thanks guys!

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Just stay away from hedgehogs... I've had one and it was actually the worst pet ever..

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
A rather often overlooked pet could be rats. They're smart, very lovable, and extremely people oriented. They're still one of the best pets I ever owned. I was never bitten by the ones I had and the cats never even made a lunge at them. Then again some people get turned off by that naked tail. ;)

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany

I have cats so Sugar gliders are to small and I hear they bite a lot. I am looking to keep my critter close to cat size to eliminate some prey issues, although my cats don't seem to have any prey issues, lol they don't hunt, they just look pretty.

Don't know much about chinchilla's but also have been told they are biters as well. Of course I have no first hand experience with either so these could be myths.
I've had sugar gliders. They were super cute and most of them didn't bite me (only one of them did), but they were stinky. I've also had some experience with chinchillas, and I've never been bit. They seem to me to be very active. They also bark (as do sugar gliders), sometimes at night. When I worked at a pet store, a customer bought a chinchilla and brought it back the next day because of the barking. I, myself, love the barking, both from the chinchillas and sugar gliders. The chinchillas at the store I worked off literally bounced off the walls and were a constant ball of energy.

But guinea pigs... :heart: I've had guinea pigs for more of my life than I haven't had them. They are sweet, docile, hilarious, and adorable little critters. They do need a cage bigger than most of what you will be able to find at a store, but it is fairly easy and affordable to make one. They also make the cutest noises. I am greeted several times a day with a chorus of wheeeeek-wheeeek-wheeeeek, especially when they want food or hear a plastic bag. The do best kept in small groups (I have three). Each guinea pig has a different personality--mine range from "I'd rather you left me alone," to "Okay, fine, I will let you hold me and pet me, but I must remember to look like you're annoying me even if I like it," to "OMG! Give me attention NOW!"

Guinea pigs rarely bite, and only if you do something to make them mad (as in nail clipping time). They are also pretty active, especially when young. My older two have mellowed out, but my baby is very active. Also, Kacy mentioned that chinchillas are prone to heat stroke, so are guinea pigs. Not as much as chins, but they are still vulnerable to it.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Thanks Bethany! Great info! Do guinea pigs chew on things as much as rabbits?
The Guinea pigs I am looking at are at a rescue and 2 females who came from a hoarding situation, poor babies.

Not interested in the Sugar gliders but they look super cute. But I do have to look up Chinchillas a little more although the bouncing off the walls may be a little much, lol And barking? I might have to Youtube this one, lol

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
A rather often overlooked pet could be rats. They're smart, very lovable, and extremely people oriented. They're still one of the best pets I ever owned. I was never bitten by the ones I had and the cats never even made a lunge at them. Then again some people get turned off by that naked tail. ;)
I love rats! I think they are so cute but won't risk it with the birds. I have a friend who's rat got out with her bird and killed it. The rat bit it's neck and it bled to death. Probably a freak accident but still afraid to chance it.

But Rats are super cute! I always watch them in the petstore:heart:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Most chinchillas do not bark. That is a sound of an unhappy or scared chinchilla. Some chinchillas will bark when in a new home for a few days, but that's it. Chinchillas are pretty much silent. Mine makes cute guinea pig noises when I'm petting him, but that's it.

Sugar gliders are really hard to care for - from what I've read. And illegal in some states.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
And of course guinea pigs are adorable! And it is nice if you can rescue too! :)

Guinea pigs are quiet...lower energy...easy to care for. A great pet! I loved mine to pieces. But I do enjoy the more interactive aspect of my chinchilla. And when he sits up on his haunches - it's just the cutest thing ever!

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
And of course guinea pigs are adorable! And it is nice if you can rescue too! :)

Guinea pigs are quiet...lower energy...easy to care for. A great pet! I loved mine to pieces. But I do enjoy the more interactive aspect of my chinchilla. And when he sits up on his haunches - it's just the cutest thing ever!
How is the Chinchilla with the birds? Can you have them out at the same time or will the Chinchilla try to eat the birds?

MaximotheMacaw

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicolette
I have done research on Sugar gliders for a LONG time. And yes they are VERY hard to take care of. You literally have to make their food. They dont stink if you give them the right diet. And I would say the number one con about Sugar gliders is they pee and poop down your arm!

But chinchillas are good pets! So are guinea pigs. But aren't chinchillas nocturnal? So guinea pigs would be good if you are usually not awake at night :)

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy

How is the Chinchilla with the birds? Can you have them out at the same time or will the Chinchilla try to eat the birds?
They don't even notice one another. The chinchilla just runs around on the floor investigating things and my bird hangs out with me - usually on my shoulder or on the bed in that room.

And no, chinchillas do not eat meat. Which is actually why they are so cheap to keep (After the initial cage investment). They cannot eat anything in their diet except pellets and hay. They have very sensitive digestive tracts.

Added plus - chinchilla poop is very dry and small. Easy to vacuum up! :)

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
I have done research on Sugar gliders for a LONG time. And yes they are VERY hard to take care of. You literally have to make their food. They dont stink if you give them the right diet. And I would say the number one con about Sugar gliders is they pee and poop down your arm!

But chinchillas are good pets! So are guinea pigs. But aren't chinchillas nocturnal? So guinea pigs would be good if you are usually not awake at night :)
I am actually up VERY late at night, never in bed before 1 or 2 am. That might work, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.