• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Guinea Pigs??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I'm a night owl too - so a chinchilla works well for me! But they will also adjust to a different schedule. Their fur is so incredibly thick and soft - it is impossible for them to get fleas! It's a cool fact. I can't remember how many hairs they have per follicle or whatever, but it's a crazy amount. They feel so good!

Aleu

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
A rather often overlooked pet could be rats. They're smart, very lovable, and extremely people oriented. They're still one of the best pets I ever owned. I was never bitten by the ones I had and the cats never even made a lunge at them. Then again some people get turned off by that naked tail. ;)
I have to second this. I've had rabbits, rats, mice, gerbils, hamsters, and guinea pigs. I was also a fancy rat breeder, specializing in dumbos. Out of all of them, you can't get more cuddly than a rat. Mine loved to be scratched on the head and never bit and they are easily tamed. As Kalan said though, some people can't get past the tail. Also keep in mind that the males are a tad calmer and more cuddly than females, but many people get grossed out by their ...umm... "dangly bits". They also pee a bit more than females, but they are totally worth it trust me.

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
Crystal, mine aren't too bad about chewing. I've never had rabbits, so I can't compare. I do know some guinea pigs do chew quite a bit, but it's never been a problem with mine. Just give them something that is wood so they can chew if they need to and hay to eat. They are rodents so their teeth continue to grow--the hay helps with that, as does the wood if the chew it.

Most chinchillas do not bark. That is a sound of an unhappy or scared chinchilla. Some chinchillas will bark when in a new home for a few days, but that's it. Chinchillas are pretty much silent. Mine makes cute guinea pig noises when I'm petting him, but that's it.

Sugar gliders are really hard to care for - from what I've read. And illegal in some states.
Ah, I didn't know only scared or unhappy chinchillas barked. The poor chinchilla was probably doing it because he was in a new place.

MaximotheMacaw

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicolette

I am actually up VERY late at night, never in bed before 1 or 2 am. That might work, lol
Nice! I think a Chinchilla fits you good! Now all you have to do is research and find a breeder :D Its soo weird cause the other day I saw a chinchilla video and then started to research them. But I will probably not get one...And since you have bird they can use some bird perches and toys. Some even use a flight cage for chinchillas.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
If you want any more information about chinchillas, don't hesitate to ask or PM me! I love to talk about animals :) I can show you where I got my cage and everything too.

Whatever animal you pick, make sure to share it with us!! :)

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
I have done research on Sugar gliders for a LONG time. And yes they are VERY hard to take care of. You literally have to make their food. They dont stink if you give them the right diet. And I would say the number one con about Sugar gliders is they pee and poop down your arm!

But chinchillas are good pets! So are guinea pigs. But aren't chinchillas nocturnal? So guinea pigs would be good if you are usually not awake at night :)
Mine had the right diet and still stunk. It wasn't unbearable, but it was there. It was mostly caused by my unneutered male; the females and neutered males don't make as much of a stink.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Thanks for all the great info guys! Now I am not sure which I want, lol
The cage would be in my room though, and I watch tv till late at night so maybe not good for Guinea Pig? With a Chinchilla I could have him out with me while I am up and the birds are in bed.

But then I have been reading Chinchilla's like quiet and not loud noises and my birds can get loud!
And Guinea Pigs are so cute too!
Now I don't know what to do!

I know I am rambling, lol

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I think if you get a well adjusted chinchilla it isn't a problem. Mine doesn't mind noises at all. He doesn't get spooked by anything. Mine is actually really close to the bird cages and he doesn't mind at all...but my birds aren't all that loud.

I remember being really nervous about the chinchilla - but it's just like having a giant guinea pig that is more hyper. LOL

Oh, and they are not snuggle bugs. If you want something snuggly, then a chinchilla probably isn't good for you. Mine LOVES to be petted, but when he's out of the cage, he is out running free!

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I really think you should get a chinchilla. As long as you keep your house pretty cool, around 75 is as hot as I recommend you keep them, our chin room is much cooler. You should look at my website and see some of the adorable pictures I have, sometimes I dress them up in hats and stuff, it is priceless! It is CHINCHILLAS GALORE SOUTH FLORIDA - Home

There is nothing cuter than a baby chinchilla!

Last edited:

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
My pigs don't mind late night interruptions. Guinea pigs are crepuscular, being most active at dusk and dawn. They do sleep at night, but there are times I hear them up in the middle of the night, eating or drinking from their water bottle.

In my experience, guinea pigs are pretty cuddly and are usually pretty happy to be held and petted.

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
I really think you should get a chinchilla. As long as you keep your house pretty cool, around 75 is as hot as I recommend you keep them, our chin room is much cooler. You should look at my website and see some of the adorable pictures I have, sometimes I dress them up in hats and stuff, it is priceless! It is CHINCHILLAS GALORE SOUTH FLORIDA - Home

There is nothing cuter than a baby chinchilla!
I agree there is nothing cuter than a baby chinchilla, except maybe a baby sugar glider. Baby guinea pigs come awfully close too.

Oooh! I love your mosaics! And your beiges. And your ebonies. And all of them. Especially MiniMoo.

I do not need a chinchilla.

MaximotheMacaw

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicolette
Mine had the right diet and still stunk. It wasn't unbearable, but it was there. It was mostly caused by my unneutered male; the females and neutered males don't make as much of a stink.
Oh yes. Unneutered males stink!!!!

MaximotheMacaw

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicolette
[/QUOTE]

I keep telling my self the same thing!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Yea you guys do!! :)

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
Ive always wanted to own a Guinea pig/rabbit/chinchilla...something long those lines. I did own 2 ferrets. Im actually surprised no one has mentioned those. I really LOVED their personality. With birds was a no no tho..my male escaped one time in my apartment and almost got my cockatiel..lucky i was home at the time. They seem to have a stink to them too tho..even decented. I always said "one day" id own another. Rats are great too (except for that little story mentioned..lol). But they are super sweet and very intelligient. Never cared for hamsters. I had one gerbil and she was the BEST pet i ever had to this day. She was really one of a kind tho..and ive always been afraid to get another because i never thought any other would compare.

Sugar Gliders...are DOLLS. But someone told me that they projectile pee on walls???? Yep..turned me RIGHT off..lol

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
:omg: Those pics of baby Chinchillas nearly gave me a coronary. SO CUTE!!!

I had Guinea Pigs growing up. I loved them. They were so cuddly and sweet and NEVER bit. I have actually been wanting one now as an adult. But I've stayed strong and haven't gotten one. But now those Chinchilla baby pics make me want one of them. Like that first white one in the pics. lol!!!
My good friend back in California had one. It had a long ramp up to it's cage and in the evening they opened the door and that little guy would come running down the ramp and just be all over the place while we were watching TV. It was cute.

I've been hearing good things about Skinny Pigs lately. Basically they look like hairless guinea pigs. Maybe check them out too. :)

Good luck on making your decision.

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
:omg: Those pics of baby Chinchillas nearly gave me a coronary. SO CUTE!!!

I had Guinea Pigs growing up. I loved them. They were so cuddly and sweet and NEVER bit. I have actually been wanting one now as an adult. But I've stayed strong and haven't gotten one. But now those Chinchilla baby pics make me want one of them. Like that first white one in the pics. lol!!!
My good friend back in California had one. It had a long ramp up to it's cage and in the evening they opened the door and that little guy would come running down the ramp and just be all over the place while we were watching TV. It was cute.

I've been hearing good things about Skinny Pigs lately. Basically they look like hairless guinea pigs. Maybe check them out too. :)

Good luck on making your decision.
Skinny pigs look like hairless guinea pigs because they ARE hairless guinea pigs. :) Not my thing, but a lot of people love them.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I've always liked guinea pigs. Good pets,they really don't have any nasty habits,like biting.When I was a kid we used to let our piggies ride around the neighborhood in a basket on our bikes!

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Thanks everyone!! Lots of good info!

My biggest problem with the Guinea Pigs is cage size. The rescue I would be getting them from requires a 50" x 30" C & C cage which they provide but I do not have a space large enough for a cage that size. The cage would be in my bedroom, my living room is taken up with bird cages, lol

What size cage do your Chinchilla's have? It looks like you can go higher instead of wider? Those Chinchilla's sure are cute!!

Status
Not open for further replies.