• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Greenwing Advice

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
hold off until Sarah and ML can answer. I clean up macaw cages this past weekend, nothing like that though. make sure to take in a fresh sample if you go to the vet. JMHO here looks like coconut shred some of it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hi Joey - it sounds and looks like he has something going on again. The problem with giving him the Baytril is that Vader could very well have a fungal infection instead of a bacterial infection and if he does giving him the Baytril may give the fungus a leg up. Can you smell his breath - if it smells sour he probably has a fungal infection.

For the present - until you can get him to the Dr. put some apple vinegar (6-10 drops in 8 oz) in his water. Hopefully he's drinking. If not, don't let him get dehydrated, Give him some fluids by syringe.

I, obviously, think he needs the Dr., but insist that the Dr. tests for fungal infection and bacterial infection. That can be done at the office with a throat and cloacal swab and looking at the sample under the microscope. Many vets in the US will give an antibiotic and an antifungal at the same time, because medicating for one or the other gives the other a better chance at surviving.

You really need to weigh Vader.

@Macawnutz - his appetite is so bad - do you think he needs some metaclopromide?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Still being on formula the poop is not flipping me out, especially since you say it's unchanged. Still 100% formula? Is he taking any solids yet?

The unwillingness to eat is a concern, how old is he now? Is he weaning?

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
He's just past 4 months now. Poop isn't that concerning to me either because it's always been that way. But I don't really know how it could be worse unless it turned colors. Breath and poop don't smell different or bad and he's still flying around like crazy when I let him out.

He's not eating any solid foods anymore... Was never really that excited about them to begin with.

I'm headed home now and will attempt to weigh him before feeding.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
I've decided on the vet tomorrow morning anyway. Just rather be safe than sorry. There's one that I somewhat trust for lab work 10 minutes away. Had Joey checked there once for about $10. Seems like a no brainier I think. Right?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Can you communicate one on one with this vet? If so will he huff up and get mad if you insist on certain tests? I know that some vets are very "prideful" and want the client to remain silent.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Can you communicate one on one with this vet? If so will he huff up and get mad if you insist on certain tests? I know that some vets are very "prideful" and want the client to remain silent.
Having a Thai friend take him as I have to work. Will be better for communication anyway. I've never had a dr give me attitude here like back home. It's just a big smile with an "everything is okay" ... Which is almost worse.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yep - that is worse.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
So I left my scale at school... Had used it for a math lesson, but they will weigh him tomorrow at the vet.

He ate about 70 cc of formula, spit up maybe 5 cc. He keeps the food down if it actually goes down. Dinner last night and lunch today he just poured it out as soon as I tried to feed it. Maybe I'm feeding too much? Have been on 70cc at morning lunch and dinner for several weeks now.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
My macaw book has data up to 120 days (4 months).

weight: average: 1048
min: 930
max: 1194

food volume min: 35 cc
max: 70 cc

# of feedings: 1-2 x day

Note that everything is slowly decreasing at this point - weight, volume, feedings/day.

Poop looks a little chunky, but the color seems normal. They can change throughout the day, and he's still on formula. But I'm no expert. Even if he's sick, he'll probably continue to act normal.

No doubt about it - while hand-feeding is wonderful, and I'm glad I did it, it's very stressful if you're not really experienced.

Are you a teacher in Thailand? Are you originally from the U.S.? Sounds like an interesting life you're living right now!

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
My macaw book has data up to 120 days (4 months).

weight: average: 1048
min: 930
max: 1194

food volume min: 35 cc
max: 70 cc

# of feedings: 1-2 x day

Note that everything is slowly decreasing at this point - weight, volume, feedings/day.

Poop looks a little chunky, but the color seems normal. They can change throughout the day, and he's still on formula. But I'm no expert. Even if he's sick, he'll probably continue to act normal.

No doubt about it - while hand-feeding is wonderful, and I'm glad I did it, it's very stressful if you're not really experienced.

Are you a teacher in Thailand? Are you originally from the U.S.? Sounds like an interesting life you're living right now!
Thank you so much for the weights. They will weigh him tomorrow but probably won't know where a GW should be at this stage.

Do handfeeding amounts decrease because theoretically they are eating more solids on their own? Or does it decrease because their bodies aren't growing as much anymore? It might be both... I guess my question is that if I fed him 50cc twice a day would that be enough for him?

Handfeeding was wonderful. It was so much easier with the B&G and conures. I feel like I worry too much to really enjoy it this time.

Yes, I'm originally from Tennessee, now I'm teaching 3rd graders here in Bangkok. It is a bizarre place to be. I've been here about 8 years now though so I think I've been desensitized to all the strangeness.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
50 cc's fit in the range (35 to 70) of the data. The sample size was 10 birds, so not a terribly large pool to compare to, but enough to curb some of your worry. Everything's decreasing at this point - their weight as well. They're growing at a much slower rate, shedding baby fat as they fly. And they need less food since their growth has slowed, so don't expect to see him eat an equivalent amount. Watching them lose weight is difficulty, but it's normal. Culturing him for fungal infection seems pretty easy, so if you're worried you should do it. One less thing to worry about... Can you buy a good yogurt there? As you add a bit of vinegar to his water (and be careful with this) try adding some yogurt to his formula. Or mix it into the mixture I described to you yesterday - however you think he'll actually eat the greatest volume of it. There may be some probiotics you could use as well, though I can't recommend any particular brand. You'd want one with many different strains in it - I've heard 10 is a good number to shoot for when shopping for probiotics. If he's been on antibiotics, it may be a good idea anyway. If he needs it, I'm sure the vet has something more effective. Try not to worry - he's made it this far, they're programmed to survive, and you're keeping an eye on things!

Are you planning on ever coming back to the states? 8 years is a long time... Sounds like you're home. But bringing those birds with you... would that be hard?

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
So he weighs between 950g and 1050g. Wouldn't stop moving long enough for the scale to settle.

They said he has a small amount of yeast, but not enough to warrant an anti fungal- and a lot of bacteria. The doctor was told he's been on probiotics so again the question is how do they know it's bad bacteria? Nonetheless, they have given Baytril, metaclopromide, and a liquid vitamin. Now the question is would you guys start giving these things now? Or would you reduce the amount of formula given each time? It seems like I might have been over feeding him.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Ohhh and yeah, this is home for now @Fia Baby But I have looked into taking them back to the USA in case I have to go back. Quite complicated with CITES and was impossible at one point because of the avian flu. I'm not sure if they've eliminated that restriction now or not.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I know that they are the only vets over there, but good grief my head wants to explode:atomic:. do you want me to email Dr. Tony ???

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
I know that they are the only vets over there, but good grief my head wants to explode:atomic:. do you want me to email Dr. Tony ???
This is the teaching hospital too, so any other private exotic vets were most likely trained here. Lol. Obviously I don't want to medicate just for fun, but I have less reservations about the Baytril now that he's older.