• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Greenwing Advice

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
He gets zupreem in the morning and either a nut/seed mix or fruits and veggies in the evenings. Only supplements are a few drops of palm oil and a scoop of a probiotic daily.

You guys know I hate giving antibiotics without proof of need anyway, but especially now I worry they will reset his whatever immunity he has built up to zero.

I'm not sure what to do about better ventilation as I have never heard of an air-conditioned room making birds sick. I do run it all the time, but it isn't cold. It just keeps the room from becoming an oven. I could put a fan up there and keep the windows open, but Thailand is hotttttt.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
He gets zupreem in the morning and either a nut/seed mix or fruits and veggies in the evenings. Only supplements are a few drops of palm oil and a scoop of a probiotic daily.

You guys know I hate giving antibiotics without proof of need anyway, but especially now I worry they will reset his whatever immunity he has built up to zero.

I'm not sure what to do about better ventilation as I have never heard of an air-conditioned room making birds sick. I do run it all the time, but it isn't cold. It just keeps the room from becoming an oven. I could put a fan up there and keep the windows open, but Thailand is hotttttt.

Do you clean the air conditioner and filter regularly. Used need to wash the filter at least every 2 weeks. More often if it is dusty. I wash my filter with hot water and dish soap. I then soak it is 50/50 white vinegar and water. Rinse well and dry. Then put it back into the air conditioner. I wipe down the external parts of the air conditioner with vinegar/water. This is to prevent any mold.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Do you clean the air conditioner and filter regularly. Used need to wash the filter at least every 2 weeks. More often if it is dusty. I wash my filter with hot water and dish soap. I then soak it is 50/50 white vinegar and water. Rinse well and dry. Then put it back into the air conditioner. I wipe down the external parts of the air conditioner with vinegar/water. This is to prevent any mold.
I'll get up there with the f10 and try to pop the filters off tomorrow for a good cleaning.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That's a good idea with the A/C. I imagine it is humid in Thailand and molds and bacteria could grow in it.

Just to check; No peanuts or sunflower seed in the mix. Keep the fruit given to him very low - too much sugar. And you can increase his RPO to about .3+ml per day. Make sure he gets plenty of green leafy veggies - Swiss Chard, /spinach, Kale dark ones and yellow veggies like carrot, sweet potato, beets are great too.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
I give sunflower seeds for (a very lazy attempt at) target training. No peanuts though. I'll try and get some kale and spinach tomorrow.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
remember when you and I were talking about growing food out on your deck /balcony, you could grow greens out there very easily. carrot, greens, spinach, cukes, herbs like basil, cilantro, parsley, etc., etc. of course they veggie will not be huge because they are in pots, but it works.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Well, even with a high powered fan and both windows open, it's simply too hot upstairs for them. I cleaned out the air conditioning units and sprayed them down with generous amounts of F10. I also plan to open the windows in the evening for ventilation. That's really all I can do at this point.

PS. I would love to grow my own veggies @Rockie's mom, but right now I Stimpy don't have the extra time to put into a small garden. I'd forget to water it once and it would all die lol

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
i'll pm you some gardening hints for decks/balconies.