• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goldfish tank help, ours is just sad looking

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
Thank you so much guys for the excellent info!!

@waterfaller1 Thanks so much Carole!! When I said the internet was overwhelming I meant trying to figure out which forum was good to use with the most accurate information. There seems to be a lot of goldfish info out there that is contradicting. I should have done more research on the Pleco and Cory, that is my fault.

Thank you so much for all the info!!! And I love, love, love your tanks Carol! Just gorgeous! I would love to take out the gravel and do something like yours with the stones.
I am checking out the Koko's forum :)

Sadly right now we are very short on cash, so can't do much soon. But they are ok with what's in there right now right? I will just try to get them a better food on payday. But I wanted to start gathering info and price out pimping out their tank lol.

Where did you get all your beautiful fake plants? Are they silk?

I will need to find a place for the Pleco and Cory now. The pleco we got said it only grew to about 12" and listed a 50 gallon min tank size, that is why she picked him.

Yeah...where did you get the plants? AND rocks? Would shells from the beach be ok to put in a tank, or would they leach something bad into the water? Could they be boiled, bleached or baked to make them safe? @waterfaller1

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The stones came from a landscape supply. The plants I ordered from a very special place, an online site. I have his e-mail and can get you the name{it escapes me at the moment} These are not available anywhere else I have ever been able to find, and they are not listed on the site. They are not cheap, about $10.00 each, plus shipping for all. They cost me about $150.00 for 13.
You are welcome. Hope you enjoy koko's and learn a lot there. Take the pleco and cory back to the store. If it was a big box store, they will take them back, no explanation needed.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Shells from the beach are not safe for a fw setup unless they were boiled, bleached, and you only used a couple, and it was a really big tank. Otherwise there is the potential for it to change the PH. Stick with freshwater safe items. Even some rocks can affect PH. If in doubt, there is a vinegar test.

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hoping Carole sees this @waterfaller1 and anyone else with goldfish tanks :)
We never did find a place for the comet goldfish my niece received as a party favor over the summer. It became apparent they needed a larger tank than the 10 gallon we had them in asap. So my sister had to go out and purchase them a 60 gallon tank. I know 75 gallon is better but she couldn't afford that. Sadly we only had the decorations and plants from the 10 gallon. It's been about a month and we need to do something with the tank. My sister wants to do live plants which I think will be nice but I keep reading the goldfish will eat them.
I am hoping for some pictures of everyone's tanks and ideas that don't cost a fortune.
Also what filter do you guys use, I think we need to add a canister filter to the tank.

I am not very creative with this stuff and the internet info is a little overwhelming.

What is the best food? Right now they just get Tetrafin gold fish food.

And they live with a Pleco and Corey, is that ok? My sister got them to help with the algea and waste in the tank.

Is there a preferred fish forum to go on for more info?

Here are Goldie (white comet-used to be gold/white as baby) and Sharky (gold comet) and their sad looking cage.

View attachment 166558 View attachment 166559 View attachment 166560 View attachment 166561
Thank you for upgrading them!!!!
First up, PLEASE GET RID OF THE PLECO!!! Not only do they have a mega-huge bioload, they don't eat all the late. Not to mention they will suck your fish to death. This almost happened to my darling goldfish.
Second of all, cories need groups if at least 5, preferably more. I'd rehome them.
Next, I love the forum Fishkore. MAKE DURE YOU KNOW THE NITROGEN CYCLE!!
My goldfish eat all my plants, but they're great for the water quality, and the Goldie's really enjoy them. I just replace them every month.
Are you doing water changes?

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
The stones came from a landscape supply. The plants I ordered from a very special place, an online site. I have his e-mail and can get you the name{it escapes me at the moment} These are not available anywhere else I have ever been able to find, and they are not listed on the site. They are not cheap, about $10.00 each, plus shipping for all. They cost me about $150.00 for 13.
You are welcome. Hope you enjoy koko's and learn a lot there. Take the pleco and cory back to the store. If it was a big box store, they will take them back, no explanation needed.
Thanks! Do you have black sand on the bottom of your tank?

It was was petsmart where we got them. We will take them back this week.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
She does. :) I'm getting black sand soon. :) :dance5:
Thanks! Do you have black sand on the bottom of your tank?

It was was petsmart where we got them. We will take them back this week.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm planning on getting it from Fosters & Smith. :) Petsmart also sells it, but I don't like supporting them.
Make sure the sand you get doesn't mess with your Ph. :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
It's not sand. It's called Tahitian moon sand, but it is actually a fine gravel. Get the live kind, you can take your fish out to a bucket, add it, then add back the fish soon after it settles. Leave an airstone in the bucket and cover it until they are ready to go back. Drain water from your tank into the bucket for them, and for the displacement of the TMS. Do a water change, add the live packet, then add back the fish.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I ordered a whole case, it's much cheaper that way. I also ordered it through a small specialty saltwater shop, that way I did not pay for shipping.

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
Did you know exactly what you wanted? How did you know he had it? Did you let him pick? Your tank is 90 gallons(I think?)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I gave him tank size, dimensions, he picks after you give him a rough idea what you want{ie: lots of green with a pop of color; lots of color; all green, etc. Then he send pics. Then you can say yes or no. With me I asked him to replace some more flowery ones with straighter ones, more pics, then I was happy and he shipped them!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Sure they can. It may look strange though, as you may get away with some quality looking silk plants looking somewhat real, but mixing them will give away the fake ones over real.

Kaylea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kaylea

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
Sure they can. It may look strange though, as you may get away with some quality looking silk plants looking somewhat real, but mixing them will give away the fake ones over real.
Makes sense! I was just thinking that it would be nice to have the immediate gratification of 'grown' plants while the live plants were growing. And, I thought maybe the fake ones might put off something that would kill the real ones and/or maybe the real ones would make the fake ones slimy. I dunno. :rolleyes:

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I love goldfish, I would love to get another tank. We just don't have the room at the moment, plus I'm trying to upgrade Babalu's cage :hehe:
I found that tank and filter cleaning was kind of a pain... How is it for your tanks? I had an 80g I think, with a canister filter.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I love goldfish, I would love to get another tank. We just don't have the room at the moment, plus I'm trying to upgrade Babalu's cage :hehe:
I found that tank and filter cleaning was kind of a pain... How is it for your tanks? I had an 80g I think, with a canister filter.
They're dirty!! I have a 60 gallon filter on my 29. I'm thinking if doing 3 55 canisters on my 90 when I upgrade. :)
I typically do 35% weekly, with gravel vacuums twice a week. :)