• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goldfish tank help, ours is just sad looking

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Hoping Carole sees this @waterfaller1 and anyone else with goldfish tanks :)
We never did find a place for the comet goldfish my niece received as a party favor over the summer. It became apparent they needed a larger tank than the 10 gallon we had them in asap. So my sister had to go out and purchase them a 60 gallon tank. I know 75 gallon is better but she couldn't afford that. Sadly we only had the decorations and plants from the 10 gallon. It's been about a month and we need to do something with the tank. My sister wants to do live plants which I think will be nice but I keep reading the goldfish will eat them.
I am hoping for some pictures of everyone's tanks and ideas that don't cost a fortune.
Also what filter do you guys use, I think we need to add a canister filter to the tank.

I am not very creative with this stuff and the internet info is a little overwhelming.

What is the best food? Right now they just get Tetrafin gold fish food.

And they live with a Pleco and Corey, is that ok? My sister got them to help with the algea and waste in the tank.

Is there a preferred fish forum to go on for more info?

Here are Goldie (white comet-used to be gold/white as baby) and Sharky (gold comet) and their sad looking cage.

jan232014056.jpg jan232014078.jpg jan232014080.jpg jan232014109.jpg

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I would get some tall plants for decoration and maybe some big pieces of driftwood!

As for the pleco and cories it depends as to if they'll be okay in there. You are going to want to make sure the pleco isn't a common pleco, if it is it'll get WAY too big for that tank.

Then the cories the biggest thing is you need to keep them in groups of 6 or more.

starrynightxxi

Meeting neighbors
common plecos get around 2ft when full grown, so not a little fish! They also have a reputation for going after the slime coat on big slab-sided fish, although this might be more common with the slow fancies. I haven't experienced this personally, but I have seen it happen to people on other fish forums. Bristlenose plecos are generally safe, unless those guys get big enough to try to eat the pleco, then you might have a problem!

Regardless of the species of the pleco, he's going to need to be fed. He won't likely survive off the bit of algae in the tank for a long time, and that tank doesn't look like it has a speck of algae in it.

The cory, it isn't ideal to have him in with the goldfish, and he won't eat "waste". None of those fish will. He might scavenge food that drops to the tank floor, but but goldies don't leave much lol As has been mentioned, cories are schooling fish and more comfortable in groups, they also prefer temperatures higher than goldfish.

Goldfish may or may not eat live plants. Type and individual can make the difference. Mine have never touched the java fern or anubias that I had in the tank, BUT they are constantly rooting through the gravel and any plants not secured to something WILL end up floating. I haven't tried it, but plants with more delicate leaves might be more at risk.

Fake plants can look pretty good. It's all about how it's done. Get tall plants and plant them thickly in a couple spots.

Here's two shots of my 29 when I first got Pants. The plants are all fake(except the moss balls in the second picture,) the background is a 3D deal I got at an aquarium society auction

If you get fake plants, try to get the ones with weighted bottoms, not the ones with little plastic boat-like bottoms. Those ones will float if they get uprooted, which they probably will if you don't have a deep gravel bed (which you're better off not having.)

With a tank that size, a canister filter may be best, although many on the goldie forum I'm familiar with like the Aquaclear/Fluval Aquaclear hang-on-back filters. I haven't used those before.

For food, enh, the stuff in the stores is all a bit iffy, even from the good brands. I do like Omega One and Spectrum, and even Hikari (MSG aside,) but they all have pretty high protein levels and goldfish should have more fiber and vegetation. The lower quality brands are made up mostly of grains, which they also don't need too much of, so it's a crapshoot. Gel food is a good option if you don't mind making the food yourself (there are mixes, but you can make your own, too,) also frozen and fresh foods are readily accepted by every fish I've ever met lol

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hi Crystal.Do not keep a pleco with your goldfish. If a common he will get way too big as mentioned, and put out a lot of waste. Bristlenose plecos will attack and take chunks from your goldfish. Had it happen just a little while back and lost two really nice goldfish.
Your cories also as mentioned should be in groups of six or more, they also need a soft substrate like sand to do well long term. If you want some small fun fish that will help a little get some otocinclus catfish. They stay tiny and are fun to watch. Their diet also needs to be supplemented with algae wafers, and put a piece of zucchini or cucumber on a fork once in a while for them. Mine love it. So will your goldfish.
As for decorating, you can either go minimalist, and give them the wonderful space to swim, or fill it up with decor, which makes it more difficult to keep clean, and a bigger chore each week at water change time. You should be changing at least 50% per week. I would go to Koko's and look through the photos. Some people really make a beautiful tank with not much in it. For example, a floating silk plant that is sold for reptiles, and a few anubias in pots across the bottom looks great.
First I would suggest a plain black background. You need to add at least one airstone with an air pump. You can also do a bubble wall across the back which looks great. I would suggest an extension for your filter, which will pull water closer to the bottom. Make sure you are turning 10X at least per hour the volume of the water. So you want something at least rated at 600 GPH. You could also just add a second HOB on the right side, and push the one you have over to the left a bit. Think lots of aeration, oxygen, flow.. and filtration.
As for food, I recommend a good quality pellet. One without ethoxyquin and other nasty ingredients, and one with krill, salmon, or herring in the first few ingredients. Give frozen bloodworms just before a water change. And offer fruits and veggies to make them really healthy. Fasting them for a day on occasion, then defrost, warm up, deshell, a few frozen peas will keep their system moving and eliminate the possibility of constipation.I also give Repashy soilent green. It is a fabulous food that you make from a powder. It is really easy to do. You would have to order it online most likely. It is not sold in big box stores. New Life Spectrum makes really good food. I like Hikari too. I was feeding the omega one but recently stopped after realizing it had ethoxyquin. My favorite pellets are made here in Florida, called Southern Delight Veggie Krill.I am not a fan of the homemade gel recipes. Too many foods in those that will compromise your water quality.

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I see you said the internet is too overwhelming. I will find some nice pics of setups to give you some ideas. :cool:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I also want to add that since you have gravel you need to clean it, at least a portion of it every time you do a water change. Some people like pythons for this job.I am gathering some pics for you. ;)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Some nice minimalist set ups
1377127_10151729534198019_430318974_n.jpg

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
here is a tank the same size as yours with two filters gftank.jpg

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Just wanted to add, that Koko's is really a great friendly forum for goldfish keepers. It is where I found all of these tanks, and it is no more overwhelming than AA. You can learn a lot there, and have fun too. :hug8:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Thank you so much guys for the excellent info!!

@waterfaller1 Thanks so much Carole!! When I said the internet was overwhelming I meant trying to figure out which forum was good to use with the most accurate information. There seems to be a lot of goldfish info out there that is contradicting. I should have done more research on the Pleco and Cory, that is my fault.

Thank you so much for all the info!!! And I love, love, love your tanks Carol! Just gorgeous! I would love to take out the gravel and do something like yours with the stones.
I am checking out the Koko's forum :)

Sadly right now we are very short on cash, so can't do much soon. But they are ok with what's in there right now right? I will just try to get them a better food on payday. But I wanted to start gathering info and price out pimping out their tank lol.

Where did you get all your beautiful fake plants? Are they silk?

I will need to find a place for the Pleco and Cory now. The pleco we got said it only grew to about 12" and listed a 50 gallon min tank size, that is why she picked him.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
common plecos get around 2ft when full grown, so not a little fish! They also have a reputation for going after the slime coat on big slab-sided fish, although this might be more common with the slow fancies. I haven't experienced this personally, but I have seen it happen to people on other fish forums. Bristlenose plecos are generally safe, unless those guys get big enough to try to eat the pleco, then you might have a problem!

Regardless of the species of the pleco, he's going to need to be fed. He won't likely survive off the bit of algae in the tank for a long time, and that tank doesn't look like it has a speck of algae in it.

The cory, it isn't ideal to have him in with the goldfish, and he won't eat "waste". None of those fish will. He might scavenge food that drops to the tank floor, but but goldies don't leave much lol As has been mentioned, cories are schooling fish and more comfortable in groups, they also prefer temperatures higher than goldfish.

Goldfish may or may not eat live plants. Type and individual can make the difference. Mine have never touched the java fern or anubias that I had in the tank, BUT they are constantly rooting through the gravel and any plants not secured to something WILL end up floating. I haven't tried it, but plants with more delicate leaves might be more at risk.

Fake plants can look pretty good. It's all about how it's done. Get tall plants and plant them thickly in a couple spots.

Here's two shots of my 29 when I first got Pants. The plants are all fake(except the moss balls in the second picture,) the background is a 3D deal I got at an aquarium society auction

If you get fake plants, try to get the ones with weighted bottoms, not the ones with little plastic boat-like bottoms. Those ones will float if they get uprooted, which they probably will if you don't have a deep gravel bed (which you're better off not having.)

With a tank that size, a canister filter may be best, although many on the goldie forum I'm familiar with like the Aquaclear/Fluval Aquaclear hang-on-back filters. I haven't used those before.

For food, enh, the stuff in the stores is all a bit iffy, even from the good brands. I do like Omega One and Spectrum, and even Hikari (MSG aside,) but they all have pretty high protein levels and goldfish should have more fiber and vegetation. The lower quality brands are made up mostly of grains, which they also don't need too much of, so it's a crapshoot. Gel food is a good option if you don't mind making the food yourself (there are mixes, but you can make your own, too,) also frozen and fresh foods are readily accepted by every fish I've ever met lol
Your tank is gorgeous!!! Thank you so much for all the great info!