• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goffin Cockatoo questions.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
In 5-10 years I'm thinking I want to get a Goffins Cockatoo. I know it's a really long time away, but I need time to prepare. Now I'm going to start off with all the knowledge I know about goffins. I know they live 40-50 years, they are one of the loudest cockatoos, their diet should be 60-70% seed/pellet and the other 30-40% should be fresh fruits and veggies, some of which I would feed are Mangos, Romaine lettuce, Spinach, Green beans, Banana, Apple, Orange, and a bunch of others depending on what I had on hand, they like to be handled a lot, they like baths, I have a 5 foot tall 3 foot wide and 3.5 foot long cage, but it would most likely be out most of the time except for at night, I would have a lot of knotted rope toys, brightly colored acrylic toys, branches, soft wood toys, and this foraging wheel I was looking at that they have to solve a little puzzle to get the food/treat, and sometime they like to fly correct? Now onto the questions. What sicknesses are common to these cockatoos? What are some other foods they really like? What is a good pellet/seed for them? What are some good DIY toys I can make for it? What is a good toy company to buy from? There will most likely be more questions later, but I can't think of any more at the moment.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Good questions!! I'm not sure about the most common illnesses are. In term of food I'd avoid pellets with food coloring. @Mizzely has great info about food. I'd use seeds as treats but not as staple part of their diet. Using skewers are great and easy for making DIY toys. We have great vendors here you buy toys from :) What country are you from? Then I can narrow great online shops you can use :)

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Good questions!! I'm not sure about the most common illnesses are. In term of food I'd avoid pellets with food coloring. @Mizzely has great info about food. I'd use seeds as treats but not as staple part of their diet. Using skewers are great and easy for making DIY toys. We have great vendors here you buy toys from :) What country are you from? Then I can narrow great online shops you can use :)
United states, Utah to be exact. :)

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I'll tag @sunnysmom ...she is owned by a cute G2, Elvis...:)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The best pellet is the one they will eat :)

There are many to choose from! I've made a list here: Pellets for Parrots | Lil Monsters Bird Toys

I also try to avoid dyed pellets and ones that have sugar, but sometimes those are the ones our parrots start on and that's okay :)

I would use seeds as a treat. Pellets should make up probably 50+% of the diet, with 5 to 10% nuts and seeds and the rest veggies, and only a little fruit.

Here is an easy way to make chop:

My Chop “Recipe“ | Small Parrot Toys by Lil Monsters Bird Toys

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
The best pellet is the one they will eat :)

There are many to choose from! I've made a list here: Pellets for Parrots | Lil Monsters Bird Toys

I also try to avoid dyed pellets and ones that have sugar, but sometimes those are the ones our parrots start on and that's okay :)

I would use seeds as a treat. Pellets should make up probably 50+% of the diet, with 5 to 10% nuts and seeds and the rest veggies, and only a little fruit.

Here is an easy way to make chop:

My Chop “Recipe“ | Small Parrot Toys by Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Thank you so much for those links! So do you think a good diet would be a 50-40-10 or a 60-30-10 pellet to chop to nuts/seeds? And as for pellet Goldenfeast Goldenobles size 2 seems good. And as for nuts and seeds, I don't really no what to do. And then for chop I read through all the ingredients and I chose Carrots, Butternut squash, a little Mango, Kale, Broccoli, a little Spinach, bell peppers, ginger, peas, beet root, quinoa, steel cut oats, a little brown rice, blanched green beans, blanched chick peas, pomegranate, a little banana, a little pear, turmeric, ginger powder, and mint. I chose a lot so the bird would have a lot of variety to eat. Or would this be too much variety? And I think I would make a big batch and just freeze it. When and how much would I feed everyday? I like the snack baggy idea. And would 3 tbsp of pellets, 2 tbsp of chop, and .5 tbsp of seeds/nuts work for a goffin?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
either ratio should work. I don't know specifically how much a Goffins eats but most birds eat 15 to 20% of their body weight daily.

Goldenfeast is good as long as you supplement Vitamin D3 as it contains none. Vitamin D3 for Our Birds | Small Parrot Toys by Lil Monsters Bird Toys

Your mix sounds fine; I try to keep it simpler just so I can change it up more so they don't get bored. I feed fresh in the am and remove leftovers at lunch time

Volkman and Higgins both make good seed mixes

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
either ratio should work. I don't know specifically how much a Goffins eats but most birds eat 15 to 20% of their body weight daily.

Goldenfeast is good as long as you supplement Vitamin D3 as it contains none. Vitamin D3 for Our Birds | Small Parrot Toys by Lil Monsters Bird Toys

Your mix sounds fine; I try to keep it simpler just so I can change it up more so they don't get bored. I feed fresh in the am and remove leftovers at lunch time

Volkman and Higgins both make good seed mixes
Oh, so I'm guessing another kind of pellet would be good, one that has D3. Is Hagen Lifetime granules for parrots good? If so I think I would choose that one.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh, so I'm guessing another kind of pellet would be good, one that has D3. Is Hagen Lifetime granules for parrots good? If so I think I would choose that one.

That's the one I currently use most of the time :) I have to change a lot because my quaker is picky :lol: but that one he took to right away!

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
That's the one I currently use most of the time :) I have to change a lot because my quaker is picky :lol: but that one he took to right away!
Oh that's good! And for the seed/nut mixture I was thinking the Volkman Acian science super parrot formula. It's unfortunate that I won't be able to get a bird for that long. It might be possible in 3-4 years also, but very, very unlikely. 5-10 is more likely.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh that's good! And for the seed/nut mixture I was thinking the Volkman Acian science super parrot formula. It's unfortunate that I won't be able to get a bird for that long. It might be possible in 3-4 years also, but very, very unlikely. 5-10 is more likely.

It is good that you are learning now, but don't stop! Even things we knew when I got my first quaker 7 years ago have changed little by little :)

That and the Volkman Eclectus mix are what I am currently feeding. I really like them!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Goffin's gets Volkman Avian Science Super Hookbill and Caitec Oven Fresh Bites pellets as well as veggies. She is not into fruit. Treats she gets include Avicakes, Lafeber Parrot Popcorn, Avian Organics Baked Treats, roasted and unsalted cashews and pine nuts, almonds and walnuts in the shell. Treats are limited and rotated.
You are preparing well ahead of time and along the way a different bird could possibly interest you.
Why a Goffin's? I have no experience with the larger 'toos but I wouldn't say that the Goffin's are the loudest 'toos. I know that the larger ones are VERY loud and both my Bare-eyed 'too and my YNA can be a lot louder than my Goffin's.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
My Goffin's gets Volkman Avian Science Super Hookbill and Caitec Oven Fresh Bites pellets as well as veggies. She is not into fruit. Treats she gets include Avicakes, Lafeber Parrot Popcorn, Avian Organics Baked Treats, roasted and unsalted cashews and pine nuts, almonds and walnuts in the shell. Treats are limited and rotated.
You are preparing well ahead of time and along the way a different bird could possibly interest you.
Why a Goffin's? I have no experience with the larger 'toos but I wouldn't say that the Goffin's are the loudest 'toos. I know that the larger ones are VERY loud and both my Bare-eyed 'too and my YNA can be a lot louder than my Goffin's.
I don't know why I like them so much, but I do. From videos I've seen they seem like really great birds. And I also love the tiny mowhawk lol. :) At first I was looking at Moluccan or especially a Major Mitchells, but then I stumbled upon Goffins and fell in love.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Goffins have a REMARKABLE mechanical ability! They're known for being escape artists, and love taking apart things and opening doors...;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
There are many goffins in need of good homes. So when the time comes I hope you consider adoption. My goffin Elvis is a busy, busy boy. He is standing on top of his cage right now shooting plastic clip pieces into the dining room. Sigh. He loves unhooking things. So we hang plastic clips on his cage. He also loves toys made of pine, balsa and cork. I buy mainly from our vendors here on AA.

He doesn't eat as many fruits and vegetables as I would like but we're working on it. His favs so far are carrots and apples. And he adores cashews. I also feed him higgins sunburst seed mix and Higgins intune pellets.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Goffins have a REMARKABLE mechanical ability! They're known for being escape artists, and love taking apart things and opening doors...;)
I have read stories of them getting out constantly lol
There are many goffins in need of good homes. So when the time comes I hope you consider adoption. My goffin Elvis is a busy, busy boy. He is standing on top of his cage right now shooting plastic clip pieces into the dining room. Sigh. He loves unhooking things. So we hang plastic clips on his cage. He also loves toys made of pine, balsa and cork. I buy mainly from our vendors here on AA.

He doesn't eat as many fruits and vegetables as I would like but we're working on it. His favs so far are carrots and apples. And he adores cashews. I also feed him higgins sunburst seed mix and Higgins intune pellets.
I will adopt if there are any around me, they're not very available in Utah, I've found a breeder up north that can get young Goffins/Eggs. I don't know how she gets the eggs, but she seems like a pretty reputable breeder.

M_Riddly

Strolling the yard
First I should say that goffins are not the loudest. They can be loud, but in no way the loudest. In fact, I think they are one of if not the quietest. Now of course it varies bird to bird, but my goffin can scream and you be near him and you aren't deafened. I cannot say the same for umbrellas. You will be plugging your ears and regretting your life decisions if an umbrella too screams near you. As far as toys go for goffins, I gotta say, mine loves everything that isn't an actual bird toy for some reason. All the bird toys I bought are ignored or only occasionally paid attention to. Wads of paper, baby teething toys with different textures, and a mop head that I strung beads and knotted up a bit are my birds favorite toys. Great thing about these is that they are cheep. Baby and toddler toys are safe for children to put in their mouths and chew on so its fine for your bird too. Just make sure you watch your bird so he doesn't bite something off and eat it. If you look up DIY bird/parrot toys its super helpful. I do a lot of that stuff for my birds and they love it. I have read this about other goffins and mine is the same way, he has the attention span of a gnat. Yes they have great capabilities but there is a chance you will end up with one who has no attention span for toys. That is why you should provide a lot of them at once and rotate them out a lot. The jingly cat balls at the dollar tree are another favorite of my goffin and parrotlets. My goffin's favorite veggie is green beans by the way. He will munch on them hungry or not. Either its food or something to play with and chew up. Same with lettuce but not as much of a favorite.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
First I should say that goffins are not the loudest. They can be loud, but in no way the loudest. In fact, I think they are one of if not the quietest. Now of course it varies bird to bird, but my goffin can scream and you be near him and you aren't deafened. I cannot say the same for umbrellas. You will be plugging your ears and regretting your life decisions if an umbrella too screams near you. As far as toys go for goffins, I gotta say, mine loves everything that isn't an actual bird toy for some reason. All the bird toys I bought are ignored or only occasionally paid attention to. Wads of paper, baby teething toys with different textures, and a mop head that I strung beads and knotted up a bit are my birds favorite toys. Great thing about these is that they are cheep. Baby and toddler toys are safe for children to put in their mouths and chew on so its fine for your bird too. Just make sure you watch your bird so he doesn't bite something off and eat it. If you look up DIY bird/parrot toys its super helpful. I do a lot of that stuff for my birds and they love it. I have read this about other goffins and mine is the same way, he has the attention span of a gnat. Yes they have great capabilities but there is a chance you will end up with one who has no attention span for toys. That is why you should provide a lot of them at once and rotate them out a lot. The jingly cat balls at the dollar tree are another favorite of my goffin and parrotlets. My goffin's favorite veggie is green beans by the way. He will munch on them hungry or not. Either its food or something to play with and chew up. Same with lettuce but not as much of a favorite.
Thank you so much for all the knowledge! I didn't really know how to phrase that lol. :) But with the green beans, do you blanch them or just feed them raw?

PenderRedHed

Checking out the neighborhood
Coastal North Carolina, just outside of Wilmington
Real Name
Barbara Hardin
In 5-10 years I'm thinking I want to get a Goffins Cockatoo. I know it's a really long time away, but I need time to prepare. Now I'm going to start off with all the knowledge I know about goffins. I know they live 40-50 years, they are one of the loudest cockatoos, their diet should be 60-70% seed/pellet and the other 30-40% should be fresh fruits and veggies, some of which I would feed are Mangos, Romaine lettuce, Spinach, Green beans, Banana, Apple, Orange, and a bunch of others depending on what I had on hand, they like to be handled a lot, they like baths, I have a 5 foot tall 3 foot wide and 3.5 foot long cage, but it would most likely be out most of the time except for at night, I would have a lot of knotted rope toys, brightly colored acrylic toys, branches, soft wood toys, and this foraging wheel I was looking at that they have to solve a little puzzle to get the food/treat, and sometime they like to fly correct? Now onto the questions. What sicknesses are common to these cockatoos? What are some other foods they really like? What is a good pellet/seed for them? What are some good DIY toys I can make for it? What is a good toy company to buy from? There will most likely be more questions later, but I can't think of any more at the moment.