• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goffin Cockatoo questions.

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Birds are really more companion animals than they are pets. Especially a parrot. Even lovebirds, they are so social I would only get them in pairs. We got my Rascal lovebird as a single and didn't have him too long before getting him a friend. He was a velcro bird, would not leave me. I loved it but my husband didn't. He got less attention than the bird!
Anyways the point of this is, a parrot will not be too happy in a room not interacting with people or other birds. They really need to be part of the family. Please do more reading before deciding. I had always wanted a macaw. After having my rb2 I realize no way is my house big enough for that bird to be comfortable. Something I never thought of. And I thought about it for years! Until I had the chance to bring Freddy home! And he is just like having a small child.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Birds are really more companion animals than they are pets. Especially a parrot. Even lovebirds, they are so social I would only get them in pairs. We got my Rascal lovebird as a single and didn't have him too long before getting him a friend. He was a velcro bird, would not leave me. I loved it but my husband didn't. He got less attention than the bird!
Anyways the point of this is, a parrot will not be too happy in a room not interacting with people or other birds. They really need to be part of the family. Please do more reading before deciding. I had always wanted a macaw. After having my rb2 I realize no way is my house big enough for that bird to be comfortable. Something I never thought of. And I thought about it for years! Until I had the chance to bring Freddy home! And he is just like having a small child.
I was just asking about the room because I didn't know if it would be safer or not for it. But I could probably put it in the living room. I didn't mean to make it seem like it would just be a pet, I would have it out with me as soon as I got home from school until I go to bed. And also on top of this what's a good feeding schedule? Once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and once in the evening? And this is what I'm doing for research lol. This and looking up videos, and care guides, and food recipes, and harmful things. I just like asking a lot of questions on here, because it can get me a lot more personal experiences than google can.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
But would the diet I mentioned above be adequate for a conure? I really like a couple (quite a few) conure types: Half moon conure, Golden capped conure, Nanday conure, Pineapple conure, Maroon bellied conure, Painted conure, and sun conures. There's a kid at my school who breeds conures and parakeets, and he has a clutch of pineapples right now, but they won't be for sale until November... I'm probably not going to get a bird, be it a conure or a cockatoo, for another 1-2 years. (If I get one this early, will most definitely be a conure, because I don't have the funds to buy and feed a cockatoo at the moment).

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I am glad you are doing your homework. Many people get different types of birds not knowing what they are in for. Just like me when I wanted the macaw. I read a book first and decided I wasn't ready for that. Now I realize my house isn't even big enough, and that I never thought of!

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Carrots, Butternut squash, a little mango, kale, yellow and red bell peppers, ginger, quinoa, a little brown rice, chick peas, a little banana, ginger powder.

Broccoli, a little spinach, orange bell pepper, peas, beet root, steel cut oats, green beans, pomegranate, a little pear, turmeric powder, fresh mint.

Carrots, a little spinach, a little mango, Orange, red, and yellow bell peppers, beet root, quinoa, green beans, chick peas, a little pear, ginger powder, fresh mint.

Butternut squash, broccoli, kale, orange bell pepper, ginger, beet root, a little brown rice, green beans, a little banana, turmeric powder.

Would these be a good schedule to switch off of every week? Every week it gets some of the same foods, but it also mixes it up every now and then. And it might not be every week, but whenever the chop runs out.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Maybe throw some grapes, bok choy, cucumber, raspberries, kiwi, blue berries, melon (cantaloupe, water melon, honeydew), pumpkin, a little apple, corn, strawberrie, cabbage, and sweet potato.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Carrots, Butternut squash, cabbage, pumpkin, blue berries, a little mango, kale, yellow and red bell peppers, ginger, quinoa, a little brown rice, bok choy, cucumber, chick peas, a little banana, ginger powder.

Broccoli, a little spinach, sweet potato, a little apple, cantaloupe, grapes, orange bell pepper, peas, beet root, steel cut oats, green beans, pomegranate, a little pear, turmeric powder, fresh mint.

Carrots, a little spinach, corn, apricot, water melon, raspberries, a little mango, Orange, red, and yellow bell peppers, beet root, quinoa, green beans, chick peas, a little pear, ginger powder, fresh mint.

Butternut squash, carrot tops, broccoli, strawberries, honey dew, kiwi, kale, orange bell pepper, ginger, beet root, a little brown rice, green beans, a little banana, turmeric powder.

Here's the updated list of food lol.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I'm also really interested in Blue crowned conures now lol. The more I research, the more I find ones I like. But I've narrowed my favorite selection down to a Painted conure, or a Golden capped conure. Edit: Dangit! Now I just went and found Opaline Black capped conures. They now replace Golden capped, and tie with Painted! Is it smart to order birds online? I can't find any in state, but I can find them online for sale.

Last edited:

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Ok, ok. My absolute favorite after a lot of consideration, is a Painted conure. Except the only place I can find them is online through shipping.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I'm going to create another thread just for the conure so these don't get too messed up lol.