• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goffin Cockatoo questions.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
It really depends why they're screaming. In the mornings, most birds scream. I don't think there's much to do about that. Elvis quiet downs as soon as I uncover him in the mornings. If he's screaming because he's scared or startled, I tell him it's okay. If he contact calls, I answer back. If he's screaming because we're playing and he's having fun, I just let him. But if it's that annoying I'm not getting what I want or having some type of birdie tantrum, yes, it's best just to ignore it. It's sometimes hard to do because you really want them to just stop. But you don't want them to learn that they get what they want by screaming whether it's attention, out of the cage, etc.
Ah, that makes sense lol :)

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
This thread got kind of dropped off lol. But I thought of somemore questions, Like: What is the best way to give water? I've seen people use bowls, or they use this weird kind of bottle thing that has a little dish at the bottom? And how long should a cockatoo have dark (how long should they sleep)? Do cockatoos really enjoy listening to music? And a follow up question, what is their favorite genre of music? (lol) And then finally, do they like bathes?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
What is the best way to give water?
All my birds have used bowls/dishes, so that's what I use.
And how long should a cockatoo have dark (how long should they sleep)?
I like my 'toos...and all my birds... to have 11 to 12 hours of sleep every day.
Do cockatoos really enjoy listening to music? And a follow up question, what is their favorite genre of music? (lol)
Milton does like music...at times. I usually have oldies music on our satellite radio...my wife listens to the Elvis channel in the other room. ;)
And then finally, do they like bathes?
Milton would LIVE in the shower if he could. When he hears someone in the bathroom, he runs over, opens the door, and yells, "WANT A WET NOW!" The bird is literally obsessed with water...:D

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I use bowls. Water bottles can build up bacteria and a lot of birds don't know how to use them. My bird gets about 10 hours of sleep. I would like him to have more but with my work schedule it's hard for me to get him to bed before 8:30 and he insists on being up by 6:30. Elvis loves when I sing to him but just looks confused when I play music for him- like he doesn't understand where it's coming from.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Elvis loves when I sing to him but just looks confused when I play music for him- like he doesn't understand where it's coming from.
You'd think Elvis would really like music...considering his name...;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You'd think Elvis would really like music...considering his name...;)
Or a better taste in music other than my singing. Of course, he usually sings along which makes my singing voice seem like Idina Menzel in comparison. Lol. One time Howie even rushed in to see what was wrong and I explained that Elvis was just singing. Lol.

PenderRedHed

Checking out the neighborhood
Coastal North Carolina, just outside of Wilmington
Real Name
Barbara Hardin
Hey to all the other goffin owners of older birds, and by older I mean just not babies. Do goffins scream for joy??? Mine hasn't done that so far. He just sort of attempts to talk when he gets riled up. The only "screams" he does are contact calls to me when I walk out of the room and the typical "no! Don't put me to bed in my cage away from you!!!" Screams. Also in the morning if I am taking too long to get him out and he knows I'm up. His attempts at words are so adorable. I've always loved the voices of cockatoos. They sound so happy and they seem to have a lot of inflections in their babbaling. So does anyone have a goffin that screams for joy??? Did I just get lucky or is this pretty normal for a goffin???

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I only use bowls for water with my Goffin's although I've used water bottles with other birds in the past but they got good at removing them so no more water bottles. I could imagine that a Goffin's would be able to remove one very quickly. Also more difficult to clean out the bottles although I did have a special cleaning brush for them.
My Goffin's does like music. She bobs up and down and dances. She gets about 10-12 hours of darkness and she loves bathing. She uses her water dish as a bathtub and after she's emptied it and I refill it she will continue bathing.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
All my birds have used bowls/dishes, so that's what I use.

I like my 'toos...and all my birds... to have 11 to 12 hours of sleep every day.

Milton does like music...at times. I usually have oldies music on our satellite radio...my wife listens to the Elvis channel in the other room. ;)

Milton would LIVE in the shower if he could. When he hears someone in the bathroom, he runs over, opens the door, and yells, "WANT A WET NOW!" The bird is literally obsessed with water...:D
I was wondering about the showering thing because I've seen birds that absolutely go crazy for it, and then I've also seen birds absolutely hate it lol. Thanks for the input!
I use bowls. Water bottles can build up bacteria and a lot of birds don't know how to use them. My bird gets about 10 hours of sleep. I would like him to have more but with my work schedule it's hard for me to get him to bed before 8:30 and he insists on being up by 6:30. Elvis loves when I sing to him but just looks confused when I play music for him- like he doesn't understand where it's coming from.
That's what I was thinking on the water bottle too, but I've seen people use them and just wondered about them.
I only use bowls for water with my Goffin's although I've used water bottles with other birds in the past but they got good at removing them so no more water bottles. I could imagine that a Goffin's would be able to remove one very quickly. Also more difficult to clean out the bottles although I did have a special cleaning brush for them.
My Goffin's does like music. She bobs up and down and dances. She gets about 10-12 hours of darkness and she loves bathing. She uses her water dish as a bathtub and after she's emptied it and I refill it she will continue bathing.
I really hope when I get one it dances like that. It's so cute when they do from what i've seen lol.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
LOL. Elvis does that with his water bowl too!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
LOL. Elvis does that with his water bowl too!
I think Keno read my mind when I posted about her bathing in her water dish. After I posted that I went upstairs and Keno and the bottom of the cage were wet and most of the water in the dish was gone.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think Keno read my mind when I posted about her bathing in her water dish. After I posted that I went upstairs and Keno and the bottom of the cage were wet and most of the water in the dish was gone.
LOL. On shower days, I'll change Elvis's papers like 4 times. It's like once he has a bath he decides the entire day must be dedicated to bathing.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
LOL. On shower days, I'll change Elvis's papers like 4 times. It's like once he has a bath he decides the entire day must be dedicated to bathing.
:laugh:
Of course they generally take the baths after we have given them fresh water and replaced the paper.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
On shower days, I'll change Elvis's papers like 4 times. It's like once he has a bath he decides the entire day must be dedicated to bathing.
Yes, E did have a couple of days like that when he was here...:)

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Maybe to start off with birds I could start with maybe a conure? This is a new thought I just had. I'm relatively young, but from what I remember of the rules, I'm not allowed to say my age. But do conures eat roughly the same diet? (Chop, Pellets, and seeds?) And do would it be able to eat the same kinds of pellets and seeds? (Volkman avian science hookbill seed, and Hagen tropican lifetime formula for parrots). And if you don't want to go back to where I posted the chop recipe I'm going to go with, I'll post it again. Carrots, Butternut squash, a little mango, kale, broccoli, a little spinach, bell pepper, ginger, peas, beet root, quinoa, steel cut oats, a little brown rice, green beans, chick peas in water (or fresh), pomegranate, a little banana, a little pear, turmeric powder, ginger powder, and mint. And does the 20% of body weight apply to conures to? If so, a sun conure (the I most want), or a pineapple conure, weigh about 100-120 grams, so would I feed 1/2 tbsp chop, 1 tbsp pellet, and 1/4 tbsp seed?

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
And I also like gold capped and Maroon bellied.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If you're a minor, I would think very carefully about if getting a bird now is a good idea. There are young people on here who are wonderful bird owners. But if you plan to go away to school, travel, etc a bird can be a hindrance. And a life long commitment. A goffin can live 50 plus years. A conure probably in the 20s, I think. I'm guessing that's older than you are. And a bird needs to be a family commitment. Since it means no Teflon pans, no candles, etc. Just some things to thing about. But yes, conures are also very nice birds and are probably less difficult than a cockatoo.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
If you're a minor, I would think very carefully about if getting a bird now is a good idea. There are young people on here who are wonderful bird owners. But if you plan to go away to school, travel, etc a bird can be a hindrance. And a life long commitment. A goffin can live 50 plus years. A conure probably in the 20s, I think. I'm guessing that's older than you are. And a bird needs to be a family commitment. Since it means no Teflon pans, no candles, etc. Just some things to thing about. But yes, conures are also very nice birds and are probably less difficult than a cockatoo.
I don't mean to make it seem like I'm really self obsessed I guess, but I think of myself as pretty responsible. I have maintained 6 fish tanks for over a year now by myself (with the occasional fish food 4 dollars from mom), I have a leopard gecko, and 28 chickens I care for mainly by myself, but sometimes my mom comes and helps me feed and water them at night. And I've been looking at colleges and the one near me starting next year has all the courses I was going to go out of state for which are Marine biology, Invertebrate zoology, and aquatic zoology. So I might not have to leave for schooling, and I have to take a 1-2 years at said college because I'm taking classes through them right now. We don't really use candle except for incense, but my dad is allergic to them, so my mom's considering getting rid of them already. And as for the non stick pans, why are they bad for birds?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
""PFCs: Global Contaminants: Teflon and other non-stick pans kill birds. Bird enthusiasts and veterinarians have known for decades that Teflon-coated and other non-stick cookware, if heated to high temperatures, is acutely toxic to birds. ... The new heat lamp bulbs were polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) coated."
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...s-kill-birds&usg=AOvVaw1wX7UGVCChxWlgjqyNCbSJ

There is an awful lot you don't know that can kill a bird in a blink.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
""PFCs: Global Contaminants: Teflon and other non-stick pans kill birds. Bird enthusiasts and veterinarians have known for decades that Teflon-coated and other non-stick cookware, if heated to high temperatures, is acutely toxic to birds. ... The new heat lamp bulbs were polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) coated."
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjoiP-L3u3cAhUMQ6wKHVs1DRwQFjACegQICRAL&url=https://www.ewg.org/research/pfcs-global-contaminants/teflon-and-other-non-stick-pans-kill-birds&usg=AOvVaw1wX7UGVCChxWlgjqyNCbSJ

There is an awful lot you don't know that can kill a bird in a blink.

Oh, goodness. Thank you guys for telling me about this. I think my mom has 1-2 non stick pans. But I could probably convince her to get rid of them lol. Or I could keep the bird at the other house. We're building a little extension on the house we rent out where I'm going to put my fish tanks, would a conure be ok being in the same room as 6 fish tanks? Or would the humidity be too high? The room will of course be ventilated, insulated, heated, and cooled. And are there any other very common things that can kill a bird? I will probably get a de-humidifier for the room.