• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Frantic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8: hope the kitty comes home soon

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Still no Amelia, and no sightings :( I've got my neighbors on the lookout too (I live in the BEST neighborhood, I swear. Everyone is so nice).

Going to keep trying to find her, making some flyers and my neighbor is going to help me post them on all the mailboxes around here so everyone can see them :( There was a reporting of a cat hit on Portland, but it wasn't her, I don't even think it was a cat...looked more like a fox or something. Very sad, but I was SO RELIEVED when it wasn't her.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Still no Amelia, and no sightings :( I've got my neighbors on the lookout too (I live in the BEST neighborhood, I swear. Everyone is so nice).

Going to keep trying to find her, making some flyers and my neighbor is going to help me post them on all the mailboxes around here so everyone can see them :( There was a reporting of a cat hit on Portland, but it wasn't her, I don't even think it was a cat...looked more like a fox or something. Very sad, but I was SO RELIEVED when it wasn't her.
I don't know if you have one in your area but one of my clients has a company where they use search dogs to track missing pets. They have a pretty good rate of being able to identify where the animal has been. Worth a try.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Have posted on CL?

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Natalie, as I said before, many, many cats revert to being little wild animals if the get panicked, and most indoor cats will panic if they get out. They're not like dogs, and they're very good at remaining hidden.

As someone else said, if you don't have to worry about someone else getting out, leave some windows partially open, especially the window where she was before.

We have a large cat enclosure that our cats can access through one of the windows. Just last week, five of our cats got out - the screening over the top had developed a slit that we hadn't noticed. All of our escapees went into hiding. The only way we got them back is by shutting everyone else into rooms so that we could leave the back door open. I rigged it with a string and sat up all night, out of sight, pulling the door shut with a string whenever someone ventured in. It took all day and all night, but we got them.

If you can't do that, you really are going to need to set humane traps, preferably several. My sister ended up setting half a dozen traps all around her house for the six weeks it took her to recapture her cat.

The sooner you do one of the things mentioned above - open door/windows, or humane traps, the better your chance of recovering her.

ETA: And my guys weren't totally frantic; since they have the enclosure, the outdoors isn't foreign to them. Still, there was no way we would have been able to get within grabbing distance of even the ones we caught glimpses of.

Last edited:

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Thanks for the advice. I've been leaving the back door open all day and we've been letting the dogs hang out in the garage or just keeping them upstairs. I'll have to do this, go get some humane traps and set them around the house.

Oh, an update: Still no sign, or sighting of her :( We've had storms last night again, but thankfully most of my signs were laminated so they should have withstood the rain just fine. I've left food out each night, but it remains untouched. Not even nibbled on by a raccoon or something to give me hope :(

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
It could take a few days for her to come back. Cats are funny that way. :hug5:

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Don't give up - it can take weeks. Since you saw evidence that she tried to get up to a window, the very strong likelihood is that she has remained very close to the house.

A coworker of mine, after scouring neighborhoods for miles around, found her escapee under a foundation planting two weeks after the escape. And, as I said previously, it was six weeks before my sister's cat was caught in one of the humane traps.

Status
Not open for further replies.