• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First time rescue

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Fruit trees make great perch material (Apple, peach, cherry etc). Nice shapes. Pretty dense wood because they're weight bearing trees.
cherry is not safe

Beakycheeks

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erik
Ashame about the cherry, I can get them pretty cheap. But plenty of others to still choose from.
Somebody just got a bit more spoiled today, I think her cage is finally filled. Of course she prefers her free boxes above everything else. But hey, I tried. The rope swing and perch is definitely a big hit, she loves em.
Lastly, she has potty trained herself in the smaller sleep cage, nearly two weeks now and maybe two or three poops missed her poop pad. Must admit it's amazing how much easier it is to quickly disinfect and clean when there not poop everywhere. 15183063734560.jpg 15183064210822.jpg 15183064788085.jpg 15183064786773.jpg

Beakycheeks

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erik
Was super windy outside today, so my girl was happy to let me wrap her up under my coat while we were out and about for a few minutes
Was my first time trying it as she still gets nippy from time to time, but she just clucked and cuddled the whole time.
Her nipping is so much better than the first few weeks, I am willing to pet her with my eyes closed 95% of the time now. I was told it's the best way to get over trust issues with a bird. So far it's worked quite well, and she continues to blossom.
Will be glad when the hormones subside tho as she is pretty loud right now. And need this weather to warm up so we can enjoy more outside time. She really seems to like hopping around all over the place

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Awww what a smart birdie! How are the kids with her now? Last I read your oldest was just getting into trusting her too :) our Freddy has really just started being very comfortable with coming out of his cage and with us petting him. We have not been able to pick him up yet. He flew off his cage about 2 mos ago, found himself in an unfamiliar part of the house and because he was scared I was able to pick him up. Normally I would have been scared to death but was so concerned about his safety I didn't hesitate. It took him 6 weeks to get over that. And has just started venturing out of his cage and flying again. He's careful though, he flies from the cage top to the floor and back again. I got a boing for him and know he'll love it. I'm astonished how fast you are progressing with yours! I think I read her name is Phoebe?

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I think it's just amazing how Phoebe intuitively picked up that you would be good for her at your customers home. Animals really are amazing and they do have a sixth sense

Beakycheeks

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erik
Nancy I'm in a tough spot with the kids, Phoebe has been integrated with the whole family all day with her new cage being in the living room for about a month or so now. She enjoys the company I'm sure, but the two time I tried letting my son pet her while I was holding her I got bit really bad. Tonight we tried and it left me bleeding and disappointed.
I was told it would be better for him to try and interact if I'm nowhere around and out of site, but I don't want him getting hurt or confused if she does something he doesn't know how to handle. I think just waiting another 6 months or so with him watching me handle her so he has a better idea of what to do when situations arise before we try again.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
The person here I think could really help is @JLcribber gosh he's like a cockatoo whisperer lol. I would not let anyone touch Phoebe while you are holding her. I wonder if she sees that as an intrusion and you get the bite because you're allowing it. I am guessing you are her chosen person. Joe is my Freddy's favorite person. I do not try to touch Freddy when Joe is around at the chance someone getting bit. You are right to let your son handle her when he has better knowledge of what to do. Has your son held her yet?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The person here I think could really help is @JLcribber gosh he's like a cockatoo whisperer lol. I would not let anyone touch Phoebe while you are holding her. I wonder if she sees that as an intrusion and you get the bite because you're allowing it. I am guessing you are her chosen person. Joe is my Freddy's favorite person. I do not try to touch Freddy when Joe is around at the chance someone getting bit. You are right to let your son handle her when he has better knowledge of what to do. Has your son held her yet?
You catch on quick my dear. :) That's pretty sound advice.

the two time I tried letting my son pet her while I was holding her I got bit really bad. Tonight we tried and it left me bleeding and disappointed.
You have a human/mate bond with Phoebe (it's not very healthy but it is what it is). That means just about anyone who is not you is "competition" for your affections and something to be driven off. Especially if you "flirt" with this intruder. This is a perfectly natural behaviour. The relationship and environment is "not" natural and therein lies the problem.

I was told it would be better for him to try and interact if I'm nowhere around and out of site, but I don't want him getting hurt or confused if she does something he doesn't know how to handle.
That is how basically "everybody" else will become friends and form their own "unique" relationship with Phoebe. It will never be like yours and may even need to be hands off (for now anyway). Phoebe will not be the same bird when you are not there. The moment you enter the scene, you will become the sole focus and everybody else gets demoted to dirt (time for them to put their guard up and beware).

I think just waiting another 6 months or so with him watching me handle her so he has a better idea of what to do when situations arise before we try again.
That's a good idea. I don't think he should "handle" her until like you said he is much more familiar with her moods, body language and what to expect. There is no rush. Remember this is a journey, not a race. For now he can still interact with her "safely" without having to hold/handle her. It's just as much about her getting to know him as your sone getting to know her. How old is your son?

If you haven't read this article yet you should. It helps tremendously to understand the behaviors and ways to handle them.

Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Thank you John! The only one my Freddy has bitten is my Joe lol. I have read that article and refer back to it now and then. And have also taken your advice, things are good, Freddy's fun but a little stinker, he has a mischief streak but I like that. He's also a little clown sometimes he scares me to death with his antics on his cage top! Then I say be careful! And he plops himself right side up and looks at me, crest raised chirping loudly. Always the last word! @Beakycheeks, this advice works! My Galah is very smart, it doesn't take long for them to learn. Freddy knows words, I can tell from his reaction to things I say. Starting target training as soon as I can get him not afraid of his training perch! That arrived yesterday along with his new large Boing!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Another thing I wanted to add, no one in my family has been able to hold Freddy yet but we interact with him just fine. Each week he gets closer and closer to each one of us. His comfort level is also different with all of us. Birds are very intuitive. My son is....hesitant with Freddy. I think he's afraid in a sense. Freddy knows this because he lets my son get within so many inches of him and he'll make a quick move or flap his wings, something like that. Then my son says "what's with you?!" I can tell Freddy's proud when he gets to tease him. That's exactly what it looks like too, teasing. But he doesn't do that with Joe or I. :laugh:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Freddy knows words, I can tell from his reaction to things I say.
My son is....hesitant with Freddy. I think he's afraid in a sense. Freddy knows this because he lets my son get within so many inches of him and he'll make a quick move or flap his wings, something like that. Then my son says "what's with you?!"

Freddy can read energy and body language on a level way above human. Yes he knows what’s going on. It’s not the actual words. It’s everything else. Tone. Attitude. Reaction.

You could have told him he was a rotten scoundrel But if you said it with the same energy it would be interpreted the same way. And he’ll learn the language with association.

They can smell “fear” like stink on poo. The most highly tuned sense they have. You’re scared of me. I do not trust you.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Freddy can read energy and body language on a level way above human. Yes he knows what’s going on. It’s not the actual words. It’s everything else. Tone. Attitude. Reaction.

You could have told him he was a rotten scoundrel But if you said it with the same energy it would be interpreted the same way. And he’ll learn the language with association.

They can smell “fear” like stink on poo. The most highly tuned sense they have. You’re scared of me. I do not trust you.
It's very interesting how he reacts to us. We are absolutely crazy about him. Joe is the fun one. He may be the favorite but when I show up with food, it's all me! Freddy eats right off of a fork when I eat with him and feed him things I have. He's spoiled I know lol. I give him his own food but always has to try mine. He's adorable!