• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First time rescue

Beakycheeks

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erik
Thank you all so much for the encouraging words.
Today we began getting her past the fear of towels. She was shivering after her bath ND I didn't want her to be cold. Now knowing she ferociously attacks towels outside of her cage. I quickly tossed her towel into the cage to see how she responded. To my delight and surprise she went from punching holes thru it, to tunneling inside as she rubbed her face on it. Which coincidentally dried her tummy feathers which was my goal. I think in time we can associate blankets and towels with snuggles and warmth instead of restraining and whatever bad memories she has of them. She was even calm enough to let me stroke her and preen her neck as she explored thru the towel. I'm beyond delighted and hopeful. We also walked thru the house together and hung out by the window as well which was a first for her, and she didn't bite or seem to restless.
So many barriers I want to break with her, but always at her own pace.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:fairy2:I am so happy for you both. It's exciting to hear y'all's progress. So much so quickly. She is flourishing under your care. :goodjob:

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Hello everyone I am first time bird owner, and began this new journey by rescuing a 30 year old lsc2 named Phoebe.
I am a general contractor and while at a customers home I noticed they had this cockatoo, I was by no means a bird person two weeks ago, but I knew cats, candles, Teflon and Lysol/ bleach were big no nos to have around birds, yet these things were all in the same room as the bird. I expressed my concerns about them. And the owner told me how the bird hates them and would not let them pet or feed her. She immediately came to me with feet reaching thru the bars when I had to leave. She told me of I would like to take her I could.
So I spent the next week visiting the bird and building trust, scheduling a vet appt for the day I brought her home and replaced all my wife's cookware with new ceramic coated SS and glass.
The bird is 30 years old and has a strained relationship with the previous owner of ten years, so she has alot of trust issues, bad habits and instant mood swings. She also still glares at my wife and children as if looks could kill and she wants them gone.
So here I am, I got her in a safe place now and am working to show her love, healthy foods and healthy ways to enjoy one another.
She was on a very fatty seed diet for I don't know how long, so currently I am working to get her on a 70-20-10 veggie pellet fruit diet, but so far she hasn't warmed up to it yet. But she does love the sweet potato I give her as treats each day so that's a start.

Would like to share photos but apparently Photobucket wants $40 a month to link the photos, so idk how
Welcome Erik!I joined this site just before getting my Galah cockatoo, Freddy. He was traumatized as a baby and was told didn't trust people, but he chose our family. It's only been 5 weeks and he eats healthy fruits & veggies off of a hanging skewer (for birds & small animals), comes out of his cage, plays with us, learning to use toys, steps upon a perch, and justlast night is starting to let us gently touch him! They are VERY smart and learn VERY quick. The 2nd day of meeting him he started eating out of our hands. We're so happy we have him. Freddy is 7 yrs old. I jus saw this post, and hoping Phoebe is doing well.:)

Beakycheeks

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erik
Phoebe is doing well. Diet is better, her feathers are healthier etc etc. But my home is definitely not ideal for her. She doesn't like children and would thrive in a single person home. She has jealousy issues that I have yet to get past. And this leads to her having very limited out of cage time as she gets aggressive if more than one of us is around at a time. Hoping to keep her happy enough she doesn't pluck until we move and I can figure out how to cordone her own area where she can't get to my infant daughter. I want her so badly, but my kids safety isn't worth the risk.
I rescued her on a whim out of heart break not knowing the full details on just how much these birds need. Was definitely a tough first bird to learn with.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Like I said, even if you aren't able to keep her, thank you for changing her life! :angel6: You are and angel for that. A whim to you maybe, but a miracle for Phoebe!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Like I said, even if you aren't able to keep her, thank you for changing her life! :angel6: You are and angel for that. A whim to you maybe, but a miracle for Phoebe!
Well said!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Phoebe is doing well. Diet is better, her feathers are healthier etc etc. But my home is definitely not ideal for her. She doesn't like children and would thrive in a single person home. She has jealousy issues that I have yet to get past. And this leads to her having very limited out of cage time as she gets aggressive if more than one of us is around at a time. Hoping to keep her happy enough she doesn't pluck until we move and I can figure out how to cordone her own area where she can't get to my infant daughter. I want her so badly, but my kids safety isn't worth the risk.
I rescued her on a whim out of heart break not knowing the full details on just how much these birds need. Was definitely a tough first bird to learn with.
Wow I don't blame you I would not have her out at all when you have your daughter but of course you figured that out. My friend doesn't recommend cockatoos for families with children because of the care and unpredictability of them. They say birds are really not yet domesticated since they have only been kept as pets for a few hundred years, unlike dogs that have been kept for centuries. But I like birds. I had always wanted a large bird but at the time I wanted to look into it my son was 12. That wasn't going to work. So I waited for him to grow up lol. I'm sure her attitude has to do with the rough life she's had :( that's too bad.

Last edited:

Beakycheeks

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erik
She is beginning to bond with my middle son which is nice. He can give her treat's and give beak / head scratches thru the cage. But he always goes right to her after school and thru out the days to spend time with her. My wife daughter and other son don't have the desire yet. Altho i hear whispers that my wife does sneak treats to her when I'm not home. She just won't admit it.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:D My stepkids used to be too afraid of Buzz to give him treats, then I showed them how they could slip treats to him through the bars with a slotted spoon. I came home one day after work to see most of the nuts in the nut bowl were gone! We had a talk about how I'm proud of them for being brave, and happy that they were getting to like him, but that too many treats can make him sick.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
She is beginning to bond with my middle son which is nice. He can give her treat's and give beak / head scratches thru the cage. But he always goes right to her after school and thru out the days to spend time with her. My wife daughter and other son don't have the desire yet. Altho i hear whispers that my wife does sneak treats to her when I'm not home. She just won't admit it.
Wow! That's so awesome!! She's warming up much faster than Freddy is, but she's also much older and I bet her whole life hasn't been hard. We aren't yet able to give Freddy head scritches, but he is starting to let us gently pat his back and tail. He has never been in a family before us. I'm really glad your family is paying attention to her and she likes the attention. The fact that it goes on when you are not there is perfect, since you are the favorite. Wow you really are a birdie angel :angel3:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Sounds like the jealousy issues are fixing themselves! :angel1::yes4: I really hope it continues well, your family is a wonderful environment for a bird like that. Because they crave attention and she would get a lot of it from a family. Is your son learning how to read her body language? My son was able to pick right up on that, faster than I when we first got birds.

Beakycheeks

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erik
Nancy, I would be careful touching wings and tail this time of year. Birds are not domesticated and it translates into sexual stimulation. It's the only time they are naturally touched in those areas. It's hard not to, but it can create problems as they get sexually frustrated over time.
I often share the small bits of advice and wisdom I gained thus far with my son. So he knows to watch for eye pinning and different postures or behaviors that signify she is over stimulated or about to lunge for an attack.
Orphsparrow, thanks. This is the cage I will be getting for her before the months end.
Her current one is 30" w 30"h and 22" deep. She looks small in it, but I think she could really use a lot more space considering how much time she spends in the cage when I am at work.

Attachments

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@Beakycheeks Nice cage. :laughing12: I can't wait to hear how Phoebe likes it.

Beakycheeks

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erik
Messaged the seller of the cage tonight after work saying I had the money and was ready to buy it. Got the response that someone else put a deposit on it after I spoke with them the day before.
Told them I could be there in ten minutes with the full asking amount if that helps, and they took my offer. Said the other buyer was out of state and would rather sell it locally and be done with it. Such a relief, I was really upset when I thought I missed it.
Cage is in my truck and just waiting to be cleaned.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Too's are awesome birds. I never thought in my wildest dreams that I'd ever own one. Thought I was pure Amazon but nooooo. We ended up with a Female Umbrella Cockatoo back in July of 2014. She was a bird that was in my other half's Family her entire life since she was a baby. She has no history of ever biting and that's true to this day. She has been in homes where they smoked, thank god we have her. She was passed from home to home between the Aunt and my Mother in Law.

They are smart, VERY smart. Takes time with them. Sounds as if you are on the right road to this birds care. Thank you for saving her!

I look forward to more stories and progress with Phoebe. :umbrella2:

Beakycheeks

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erik
Toos are surely crazy little clowns with huge personalities. And each bird is raised different and has different traits. I am pretty sure if their was a questionnaire that decided what bird is best for a person, very few would end with a too. After reading on all the birds, I think I would wind up with a male Eclectus as the ideal bird for my home. But that's neither here nor there now. I have Phoebe and will make the best possible home I can for her.
Just can't wait to get the new cage cleaned and built. I'm probly just as excited as she will be when she realizes what happened.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Toos are surely crazy little clowns with huge personalities. And each bird is raised different and has different traits. I am pretty sure if their was a questionnaire that decided what bird is best for a person, very few would end with a too. After reading on all the birds, I think I would wind up with a male Eclectus as the ideal bird for my home. But that's neither here nor there now. I have Phoebe and will make the best possible home I can for her.
Just can't wait to get the new cage cleaned and built. I'm probly just as excited as she will be when she realizes what happened.
Do all that stuff right in front of her. She’ll love it.