• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First time rescue

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
The worst case scenario, I will meet just the right dedicated bird lover who would be willing to adopt her from me if I cannot get her to a point that is suitable for my family. My initial motive was to save her life and get her out of a bad situation so she had a chance, and then judging on how it goes either remain her care taker til death do us part, or find just the right person who has the time and knowledge and lifestyle to give her what she needs. Her health and well being is my main priority, nothing else
Whether you will be her final owner or just a jumping off point to her forever home, you have already done so much for her! :swoon:Her life changed for the better the day you decided to take her home. It sounds like she's had a hard 30 years; the rest of her life will never be that way again thanks to you.

I was by no means a bird person two weeks ago, but I knew cats, candles, Teflon and Lysol/ bleach were big no nos to have around birds, yet these things were all in the same room as the bird.
And I'm impressed that you knew so much about birds without being a bird person. :) Even some beginner "bird people" don't know those things and their pets suffer for it. So thank you again for speaking up!

Beakycheeks

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erik
I had been following a cockatiel group from a distance because my wife's always denied my requests to get an African Grey. Thought maybe a tiel would be better to start out with. I picked up a few FAQs from that group. If I hadn't, I never would have picked up on all the dangerous crap that this bird was dodging on a daily basis.

On a positive note, bird has been with me for 12 days and I have gotten her from a 90% seed diet down to 80% veggie 10% fruit 10% seed. And after a week her droppings have gone from black and white to a nice medium green and white. Which I read is the proper color for a healthy bird eating lots of veggies and fruits.
It seems a birds poop is one of our best ways to monitor their health, so I will continue to watch for any changes that ever occur.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Your picture shows the eye color as being very dark - dark brown or black. Would you say that's accurate? If so, you have a male. Females have reddish brown eyes. Look at his/her eyes in a bright light, and you will know for sure. There are sometimes different behavioral concerns, depending on sex.

Beakycheeks

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erik
It is a rich chocolate brown when in the light. Perhaps I can get a more clear picture if lucky. Will try tonight before she goes to bed.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
That would be good - use a flash light if you have to.

Beakycheeks

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erik
I just can't seem to capture her eye color :( will just have to wait til I can spare the cash for a DNA test I guess. I want to get her screened before to Long. And make sure she is good and healthy. She seems ok, but we missed our first avian appt due to her not cooperating with me and the carry cage.

Beakycheeks

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erik
Been visiting my local avian rescue to volunteer lately. Was told a towel is a great way to transport her around from room to room. Well my bird turns into a demon when she See's a towel. It's crazy, as people make it sound so easy and I question myself often. I think some birds just have far more baggage than others. I sure hope in time she turns into a trusting cuddle bug.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Lots of birds hate towels because that's how they're restrained at the vet. Not a good association. :(

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Cockatoos, especially the smaller ones, can be bit more phobic than some others like macaws. If yours doesn't like towels and is terrified, then I'd lose them unless you have a real emergency (like your house is on fire and you can't get her out of the cage). I'm interested to learn the sex - I'm wondering if you have a male based on your description. I'd expect to see a definite reddish cast to the eyes if it were a female. Really though, sex doesn't matter at this point. If he/she is stressed easily and you're still trying to build trust, I wouldn't put him/her through the stress of the blood collection, unless you're doing it for other reasons.

Beakycheeks

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erik
Ok. Thanks for the advice. I just didn't want to seem careless by not having gotten her checked at least once. Perhaps when we move in the spring I will schedule her vet when I already have her out on the way to the new house.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
You are such a sweetheart to rescue Phoebe! She is a lucky Too! :welcome:

Smbrds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Shawn
Congrats on taking Phoebe in. She is a ham. Sounds like she's settling in nicely and on a good diet regime now. It will be a ride but you're doing everything you can to meet her needs. :welave:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
The cage he has is pretty decent size. You'll want to get one that is similar size. I wouldn't down size in cages if possible :)