• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ever seen an Amazon that looks Like This Here's Tango?

Vistadeck

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tina Johnson
Thanks for all the posts and interest. I have seen Voren's pics alas too late to contact him but will see after a full molt which he hasn't had sine I have had him since 12-15. He has had a couple of full tests, some liver issues due to his diet before us but just have to be diligent and hope he lives well and happy with us. Just thought I'd post his pic for interest, I will do it again if there are dramatic changes sometime.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Thanks for all the posts and interest. I have seen Voren's pics alas too late to contact him but will see after a full molt which he hasn't had sine I have had him since 12-15. He has had a couple of full tests, some liver issues due to his diet before us but just have to be diligent and hope he lives well and happy with us. Just thought I'd post his pic for interest, I will do it again if there are dramatic changes sometime.
Post often.....he's just gorgeous and we love photos

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I know of some other experts that I can ask! I just need permission to share his pictures! :)

If he's not on it already, you may want to consider giving him Vetri-DMG and/or A/F Milk Thistle. Some people swear by Lily of the Desert Aloe Detox as well, but at minimum, the DMG is a great support for his health!

Vistadeck

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tina Johnson
Thanks! I know we did Milk Thistle for a while as per our vet then I guess he's improved - he is on something else I sprinkle in his food from them, I will look into these thank you! Yes you may share the pictures
I know of some other experts that I can ask! I just need permission to share his pictures! :)

If he's not on it already, you may want to consider giving him Vetri-DMG and/or A/F Milk Thistle. Some people swear by Lily of the Desert Aloe Detox as well, but at minimum, the DMG is a great support for his health!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I think we need some updates! :D

Anyway, shared pictures, receiving some interesting replies!

Judy Looks like it is a pianist (pionus), maybe bronzewing.

Allison I think it might be a pionus/white front amazon hybrid.
My guess is bronze wing/white front amazon

I said that Tango didn't look like a pionus x amazon hybrid, but I've also never seen a pionus x amazon hybrid. *IF* an amazon would hybridize outside of it's species, my first guess *WAS* pionus x amazon, since they are quite similar, come from the same country... but first? Conure x amazon!!! :eek: If anything, looks more like red suffusion (but I kind of have my doubts there) Direct reply to that...

Roelant Pionus x Amazon would be a first indeed. Pionus maximiliani x Amazona albifrons perhaps? Red suffused albifrons?
Any pictures of it's tail: front and back?​

Robin Closest looking species would be St. Vincent amazon, but it could just be the wetness doing that.

Judy I think bronze wing! White cap. Definitely pionus in there!

Roelant
No red Alula in Pionus.
Kris Not a pionus....it's a red suffused Amazon!

Matthew M Do you have their contact info. I'm in Canada I would like to check out this bird in person if they are nearby. (Matt is a breeder in Ontario - too far away)

Tony This coloration is often seen in old Panama and Yellow-crowned amazons that have liver issues. I have photos of several birds and many years ago Scott McDonald looked at one from a clinical point of view and realized that the color changes were health related.

So, if possible, any additional pictures of the lovely Tango for them to debate over? :D

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I sent the picture to one of my vets who specializes in birds and has traveled quite a bit in S. America. Here was his thoughts:

This animal definitely looks life a purpose-bred color mutation. I have seen those at breeding facilities before. I do not think the discoloration is diet or environment related. Very uncommon to see these color mutation Amazons, I have never seen one a a pet. You can find them on google “search “blue color amazon parrot”) some of them look very much like the picture you sent. Based on these photos, your photos seems to show a BF amazon color mutation.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
You know, we never asked if this bird had a band! Any band to track down?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
More responses....

Daema I was also going to say possibly liver damage. I'd run some blood panels just to be safe. Liver damage can cause discolored feathers, such as red or yellow coloration where it shouldn't be.
Also, Pionus and Amazons are two entirely different genus, they can't hybridize. Just like how a Macaw and Cockatoo can never hybridize naturally.

Myself Guess a good question may be...
How do we tell the difference between "chocolate raspberry" (disregarding species) and red suffusion on an unknown bird?
The red suffusion I've seen doesn't come with blue hues. This amazon is *very* blue! That's what's confusing me!
Agreed though on species family. I *want* to lean towards other species, but that beak... just wrong shape/size and color for those other species.

Tony The plumage structure is key in identifying these clinical birds. The feathers have a curled like shape for one.

Tony has pictures of a few amazons with similar coloration in his FB album....
Mutation and Rare Parrots from Around the World | Facebook

So if we could get more photos of Tango, pretty please??? :D

If Tango's coloring is in fact caused by liver failure, and the liver is healthy(er), then Tango should, in theory, return to normal coloration.

Besides the people who say pionus, we agree with your vet in that Tango belongs to the Amazona ochrocephala complex. (yellow headed amazon of some sort)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If Tango came out of a hoarding situation, it's possible that Tango was sold into it. :( Unless the seller could have been the hoarder?

David I have photos of this bird when it was advertised last a couple of years back. I contacted them and explained that most likely the bird has a nutritional deficiency which caused this poor colouration. They did not accept my assessment as they were advertising it as a one of a kind rare mutation and wanted a ludicrous amount for it ...

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
If Tango came out of a hoarding situation, it's possible that Tango was sold into it. :( Unless the seller could have been the hoarder?

David I have photos of this bird when it was advertised last a couple of years back. I contacted them and explained that most likely the bird has a nutritional deficiency which caused this poor colouration. They did not accept my assessment as they were advertising it as a one of a kind rare mutation and wanted a ludicrous amount for it ...
I believe Tango came from the same hoarder that Lagatha came from and then seized and to the Calgary SPCA ..I dont have any more info then that as I wasnt given any more info when I adopted Lagatha ... :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
That's what I was thinking, Annette. Just makes me wonder, if Tango's coloration is indeed health related, then *when* the coloration occurred... i.e. before or after the hoarder received Tango?

And if it is health related, I'd love to see him again if he molts into normal coloration! :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
Hi Tina, If my baby Linnie's would see him they'd say "pretty, pretty, preetty, pretty, pretty baby." That's what they say! LOL! And he "Is" a pretty boy. :) Thanks for the pictures.

Vistadeck

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tina Johnson
Hi sorry been out of the loop here a bit, great post, lots of info thanks! No band, has had lots of vet checks and is quite well, his liver is an issue was fed a junk food diet previously to me but has been on Harrison's, and Some nutriberries. Fresh fruit and veg was on milk thistle and the avian vet has him in for checks. They gave me something to sprinkle on his food I will let you know what it is. He has been with me going on a year and a half the feathers are much better texture and some bright green coming through in small bits I had not seen. --- St. Vincent, Panama wee a couple I thought of too. I will get more pics up soon. Thanks for your interest in my guy :) he is a darling. IMG_3393.JPG IMG_3393.JPG IMG_2541.JPG IMG_2616.JPG IMG_1741.JPG IMG_1944.JPG

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Those pictures are adorable!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
:iagree: He looks like such a sweetie :xflove: Thanks for sharing more pictures. You two look like you've got an incredible bond

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
Awwww! He looks like such a Beautiful, Sweet Boy. You both look like you're on LOVE!!! Who wouldn't be!!!! A Gorgeous Boy and a Mama to love him.:heart:

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
He is pretty, keep us posted of his progress and color changes if any. Congrats.