• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ever seen an Amazon that looks Like This Here's Tango?

Vistadeck

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tina Johnson
Hi folks, first post for me here. I adopted my Amazon about a year and a half ago from our local Humane Society here in Calgary - he was part of a seizure. I have no background but they, and my Avian Vet have done extensive medical examinations and tests - he's reasonably healthy, but was fed junk food before us.

Anyway, they think he's a Yellowhead Amazon but his colours are quite bizarre. The vets think he's about 20-30yrs.

Only thing close to his looks I could find on the internet were mutation colours of some blue fronted Amazons - love to hear anyone's comments or observations of what he looks similar to. He is adorable and love him to bits! Tango IMG_3292.JPG

IMG_3293.JPG

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! I don't know what kind he is but he is very handsome!

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
He looks like one of a kind !

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think he is a hybrid with mutations. JMHO
He is very beautiful.
Welcome to AA. What is his name?

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Tango is such a pretty babe! Welcome to the both of you. :)

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Was he part of the seizure from the hoarded house ...I have a Blue Fronted Amazon from that seizure she is about 7 yrs now but she is normal coloring ...I got her in late Oct 2016 I think ....he is a beauty :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Welcome to AA. Tango is a pretty boy.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
:welcome2: Tango is gorgeous. So unique:swoon:

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
He is absolutely beautiful! I'm in love! Double yellow heads are my favorite species..
He is so unique!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Searched and found a red color mutation Blue fronted Amazon..looks kinda like him :)
blue_fronted_amazon2.jpg

Edit ..maybe a combo of a double yellow head and a red color mutation Blue Fronted ...neat :)

Last edited:

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:welcome2:

Vistadeck

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tina Johnson
Was he part of the seizure from the hoarded house ...I have a Blue Fronted Amazon from that seizure she is about 7 yrs now but she is normal coloring ...I got her in late Oct 2016 I think ....he is a beauty :)
Was that Edmonton? I couldn't find any details other than that, multiple birds, about Sept 2015, took a few months before he got to me.

Vistadeck

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tina Johnson
That is the same picture I have seen that I thought was one of the closest, thank you for posting it!

Searched and found a red color mutation Blue fronted Amazon..looks kinda like him :)
View attachment 248174

Edit ..maybe a combo of a double yellow head and a red color mutation Blue Fronted ...neat :)

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Was that Edmonton? I couldn't find any details other than that, multiple birds, about Sept 2015, took a few months before he got to me.
I got her from Calgary in 2015 not 2016 ..I cant remember where they said the house that she came from was at ..I assume it must have been around Calgary or they would have gone to the Edmonton SPCA :)

Last edited:

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's certainly unique. I'd be more likely to think he's got some age or dietary issues that are preventing normal pigment production. He may molt a few normal green feathers as time goes on if you get him on a good diet. Or not. I know of some macaws and a few other species that develop more maroon in their dark green feathers as they age. Lucky he got out of the crummy living situation he was in.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
He's certainly unique. I'd be more likely to think he's got some age or dietary issues that are preventing normal pigment production. He may molt a few normal green feathers as time goes on if you get him on a good diet. Or not. I know of some macaws and a few other species that develop more maroon in their dark green feathers as they age. Lucky he got out of the crummy living situation he was in.
My mom and I were talking about that very same thing this evening because Lagatha had very poor quality color in her feathers when I got her and almost no blue on her face and now she has bright green feathers with a beautiful blue front and her wings are just an array of colors :)