• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ever seen an Amazon that looks Like This Here's Tango?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Could be a multitude of things causing that coloration... the only way to know for sure if Tango is carrying a mutation would be to breed him to another bird and see if any of the offspring come back with the same coloration. (breed for a few years, with at least a few clutches) If they don't, then you may need to breed one of the offspring back to Tango and again, see if any offspring come back with the coloration (could take at least 2-3 clutches before seeing it show up?)

Since I imagine that's probably out of the question, he may remain a unique individual!

I can try asking some other mutation enthusiasts if I can share Tango's pictures! Although some more details photos of tail and wings would be great, too!

Welcome to AA! :D

Vistadeck

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tina Johnson
The ASPCA was inundated and several came down to Calgary from Edmonton to help out.
I got her from Calgary in 2015 not 2016 ..I cant remember where they said the house that she came from was at ..I assume it must have been around Calgary or they would have gone to the Edmonton SPCA :)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Tango is drop dead beautiful. never seen one like him.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
All amazons are precious but he's definitely beautiful. The colors on my amazons have improved with their diet.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
The ASPCA was inundated and several came down to Calgary from Edmonton to help out.
Oh I don't remember being told that when I adopted her ....but I'm sure it must be because that's the only big seizure I heard about during that time period :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I keep looking at that eye ring and wondering if he's a hybrid with an Amazon like the Mealy or the Cuban. He's really something special though! Do you have a weight on him, that might give you some more indication. His coloring makes me think really exotic like a mix of the Vinaceous amazon or the Imperial amazon.

At any rate, welcome to AA! Definitey share lots of pictures!

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
Welcome Tina and Tango! He's gorgeous, I've never seen coloring like that :D

BirdyGirl

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Erica
Wow! Tango sure looks to be one of a kind! What a beauty! The phrase "red factor mutation" popped into my head, although I don't know much about that. I know I've read about red factor mutations when it comes to African Greys... not sure that's even a "thing" with Amazons?

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
He is gorgeous! Thank you for taking him in and welcome!

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What an awesome Zon! Welcome to AA!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I was going to suggest that maybe you send his picture to Howard Voren and was stunned to realize that Voren passed away in June of 2015...guess that's not a possibility anymore.

Vistadeck

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tina Johnson
I would like to see a full molt, he has had a lot of feathers replaced but the change has mostly been in a tremendous improvement in their quality. He is on Harrison's pellets, A few nutriberries and greens, fresh veggies, fruit every day - always a variety as I prepare food for a U2 and a Caique as well.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
He almost looks like my Galahs! At least his head does!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Adorable!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am curious to see how this bird will look after being in your care for a while. In the bath pictures, I think I can see some green feathers poking through. I'm leaning toward dietary/liver issues, but time will tell. Has the bird had a chem panel and/or liver function test? The eye ring and forehead coloring is a bit perplexing, I admit. Some of the coloration is reminiscent of Voren's "chocolate raspberry" blue fronts.

Thanks for saving him!