• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Encouraging Cockatiels to mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
, but yes, life goes on.
Your life does, the birds who died because you allowed them to bring young into this world don't.

Egg binding can potentially be avoided with mineral blocks and other suppliments
how can you guarantee that they get the right amount? They may not use the mineral block. Supplements decay over time and quite quickly in water, also the right amount has to be drank, there's no guarante. Breeding puts stress on the body no matter many supplements you give. Why do you think female dairy cows only live around 6 years when the average life span is 25 years...

Getting pregnant can be avoided by taking/using contraception yet women still get pregnant. Some women are more prone to getting than others. Cockatiels are known for chronic egg laying its in their genetics through selective and carless breeding. You are knowingly putting your birds lives at risk.

off to the bird specialty store in Ann Arbor.
Why not keep them? Sounds very money motivated IMO.

@Hankmacaw is the first female tiel I've had in my life, so no, I don't automatically know how to tell when a hen is about to lay, thank you
@Hankmacaw is very knowledgeable and experienced when it comes to the medical side for birds! They have a lot of good advice and suggestions for what we should ask non-avian vets or in times when seeing a vet may take a few days. They have helped 100s of ppl and saved many parrots lives from what have seen on this forum. They are a highly regarded member and know what they are talking about.

Egg binding is serious.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
Your life does, the birds who died because you allowed them to bring young into this world don't.

how can you guarantee that they get the right amount? They may not use the mineral block. Supplements decay over time and quite quickly in water, also the right amount has to be drank, there's no guarante. Breeding puts stress on the body no matter many supplements you give. Why do you think female dairy cows only live around 6 years when the average life span is 25 years...

Getting pregnant can be avoided by taking/using contraception yet women still get pregnant. Some women are more prone to getting than others. Cockatiels are known for chronic egg laying its in their genetics through selective and carless breeding. You are knowingly putting your birds lives at risk.

Why not keep them? Sounds very money motivated
They are a highly regarded member and know what they are talking about.

Egg binding is serious.
They May be highly regarded, but to expect me to automatically know when a female bird is about to lay eggs is quite ignorant, being as Princess is my first female cockatiel

Mama Kirs

Strolling the yard
I was begining to think this thread had come to an end...but no. So much has been said all ready. ..I doubt anyone can get through to the topic owner (right now). All I hope for is that with time all good advise will sinck in and will prevent her from becoming just another propogator.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
To summarize;

Unless you're a veterinarian, don't tell me what to do with my animals! Thank you, G'day.
Have you asked a vets opinion?

we took on 4 baby abandoned wild starlings,and they all aspirated, sadly.

@Zara ~ They reach sexual maturity @ 8 months of age.[/QUOTE]
Wrong

I am excited for breeding, but if It never happened, I would be okay with that. None the less, I'll still give it the old college try. If @ first you don't succeed. lol. I agree with my mom here, it would be a good endeavor. & I want to try to see it through.
How many birds would you let die before you stopped?

Sorry but I'm going to be Debbie downer here. JMHO NO NO NO NO. Please don't even consider this thought, before you even try this, call every rescue, humane society, ask them how cockatiels they have sitting in their rescue, humane society. These birds were born (hatched) sold and ended up in this rescue, humane society because some body decided they couldn't care for this bird.
I'm sorry but DO NOT ADD TO THE PROBLEM, Please. ...

Because it would be a lovely hobby, IDK.
Oh, bc my mother couldn't handle all the work when our dogs were puppies. it was too much at that time.
I'm in a wheelchair. Can't clean cages all that well...
My mother wants them to breed. just saying. So do I.
Your mum is looking for a quick dollar

I know that I must do research. I WILL research.

Out of curiosity... if a chick was born with a medical problem, what would happen to it?
@Zara I honestly have no idea... sorry.
It gets to die?
Troll

Yes, I do get where they are coming from. But everyone, in every walk of life, was a novice at something sometime. I think people forget that.
@Brittany0208 Thank you, I can appreciate that. I will try to gain much more knowledge.

Here is your reality check:
I lost my beautiful baby girl, Sweet Pea (4years old) from combination of hernia from laying too many eggs, which cuz her to go into respiratory distress. She spent almost 3hours in incubator on high oxygen, high humidity, and heat. And died in the veterinarian's hands.

View attachment 295717
Live with that, cuz I am having very tough time living with it.

@rocky'smom I'm very sorry this has happened to your girl. I have lost a bird before.. I know egg binding is a reality, but as long as breaks are taken between breedings, (1 year on, 1 year off) should be fine. Also, not gonna breed them their entire lives, just a couple of times ~ the experience will be enriching for me & my parent birdies.

[B]Still wrong[/B]

[QUOTE="Hankmacaw, post: 2990093, member: 154"][SIZE=6][COLOR=#006600][FONT=Times New Roman]You are far too ignorant of what is required to breed your birds. All I can see is a death sentence for any babies you manage to hatch.
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=#006600]This exhibits your ignorance,- there is nothing you can do to prevent egg binding and if you don't even know how to tell when a hen is about to lay, you are completely out of the game[/COLOR].[/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="WhteRnbwBirdie, post: 2990276, member: 30638"][USER=154]@Hankmacaw
Princess is the first female tiel I've had in my life, so no, I don't automatically know how to tell when a hen is about to lay, thank you. Egg binding can potentially be avoided with mineral blocks and other suppliments. Just looked it up. I would keep unsold chicks for as long as I and their parents could handle them, if worse came to worse, off to the bird specialty store in Ann Arbor. Yes, things will happen, yes, much education is needed, but yes, life goes on.[/QUOTE]

So, re-reading all of this. I suggest, you go online, or get the phone book, and look for your nearest shelter that houses birds, and SIGN UP. The people that work there will be knowledgable and you will learn a lot by volunteering there.
They can teach you about egg binding, they can show you things. Maybe chicks will turn up, you will learn about caring for them, and you won´t be alone doing it. Then maybe in a year or two you can consider if that is something you wish to let your birds do. Remember, there´s no money in it. And you said (look at the quotes) you want to breed because it will be enriching for you. Volunteering at a shelter will be 10 times more enriching and you will learn something too.
You say you want to and will researcch, no better way than hands on experience alongside someone that knows what they´re doing.
Right now, not you nor your birds are ready for breeding - your male is still a baby. Maybe you can start by giving them a better cage?
[/user]

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
When i got birds, i wanted to breed them, cause i thought it would be fun, and cute and stuff. But i was pretty young at the time, but after a little research i realized, it wasn't worth my birds health. I'm telling you i was a whole lot younger than you, but i was smart enough, not to. I looked into nesting boxes and all, i was just as determined. But i couldn't imagine anything happening to my birds, because i wanted to breed them. So i didn't, and i'm so glad i made that choice. Please don't breed unless, you really, really know what your doing!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
15 pages in a thread is more than enough to provide guidance which has been done well. Only problem is person is not understand the complexity and ramifications of not having a mentor in this "venture". I will use the word trolling here - and it fits well.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.

-- Frank Leahy

Status
Not open for further replies.