• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Encouraging Cockatiels to mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
I'm planning to try to encourage my Cockatiel pair to mate for the first time, in Mid April or May.

My Female is between 2 and 3 years old, according to her breeder. & By Mid May, my Male will be 9 months old. Any Helpful advice?

-'Ethical War' Posts are not welcome here. I know you all know what I mean. I'm going to breed. You aren't going to change my mind. I'm just looking for helpful advice on how to go about doing so. Thank you :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Breeders Boulevard | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

You can find it on homepage, scroll down :)

I´m sorry I have no specific advice relating to Ninfas, but just in general, try to prepare for multiple outcomes. It is not always as simple as let the birds ´´breed´´, then they will raise the babies. My lovebirds recently had chicks in december and neglected one on day 5. I stepped in and devoted all of my time to raising the birds. I cancelled all plans with friends. I´m 2000 miles from home and have no family here, and my mum came to visit and brought my 2 year old nephew and I had to cut down the time I could spend with them. I had no choice. This same chick is now growing super slow. The other chicks are almost fully grown and have left my house this week, the little one is still with me and I am still devoting time to feed him.

So my advice would be to make sure you have the time to do this, also to research as much as possible and have a vet on standby (and funds for a visit if needed).

If you don´t know how to handfeed, I´d recommend a visit to your local breeder and ask them to show you.

I´m sure some tiel owners will have better advice than me for you.

Last edited:

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
Thank you Zara. I'm sure the admins will move this there. IDK how to do it myself x Anyway, are there any seasoned Tiel breeders out there? Again, no discouragers, please.:cheer::cloud9:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Is 9 months old enough to mate? I have no idea, sorry. Again, maybe a cockatiel owner can help more.
I´m assuming your birds are bonded and are a ¨couple¨?

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just giving you a head's up, you're on a public forum and are going to come across members who do not share your ideals about breeding, and thus, will voice their opinion. Don't take it as a personal attack, but as a lesson. Like I said in a previous post, so many things can go wrong with breeding before they go right, even experienced breeders have misfortunes.
Curious, why do you want to breed, especially so quickly when you just got your birds? Did you get them specifically for breeding?

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
Breeders Boulevard | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I´m sorry I have no specific advice relating to Ninfas, but just in general, try to prepare for multiple outcomes. It is not always as simple as let the birds ´´breed´´, then they will raise the babies. My lovebirds recently had chicks in december and neglected one on day 5. I stepped in and devoted all of my time to raising the birds. I cancelled all plans with friends. I´m 2000 miles from home and have no family here, and my mum came to visit and brought my 2 year old nephew and I had to cut down the time I could spend with them. I had no choice. This same chick is now growing super slow. The other chicks are almost fully grown and have left my house this week, the little one is still with me and I am still devoting time to feed him.

So my advice would be to make sure you have the time to do this, also to research as much as possible and have a vet on standby (and funds for a visit if needed).

If you don´t know how to handfeed, I´d recommend a visit to your local breeder and ask them to show you.

I´m sure some tiel owners will have better advice than me for you.
Thank you! I'm handicapped, but my mom's into hand-raising puppies and wants me to breed the birds, so she'll need to help me with the hand-feeding part. I'm leary of that though, because when I was 11,we took on 4 baby abandoned wild starlings,and they all aspirated, sadly.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you! I'm handicapped, but my mom's into hand-raising puppies and wants me to breed the birds, so she'll need to help me with the hand-feeding part. I'm leary of that though, because when I was 11,we took on 4 baby abandoned wild starlings,and they all aspirated, sadly.
Then why on earth are you tempting fate like this? Raising puppies (mammals) is completely different from raising avians. They are not the same in any context.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
because I was 11, that was 11 years ago. We willl look up much much more information this time around.

@Zara ~ They reach sexual maturity @ 8 months of age. & Yes. He loves her. He will not leave the cage without her.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m sorry but I´m with @Brittany0208

You have tried 4 times in the past and failed. Birds and dogs aren´t the same. Your mum may be a wizard at hand raising pups, but birds are a whole other kettle of fish.

There was a lady on another thread on here not so long ago, she was much older than you but had the same idea, she was breeding her birds no matter what, she went away and came back 2 months later after killing the entire clutch. I just want to put that out there. A little mistake will kill a bird, as you saw, and your age won´t always make a difference.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
because I was 11, that was 11 years ago. We willl look up much much more information this time around.

@Zara ~ They reach sexual maturity @ 8 months of age. & Yes. He loves her. He will not leave the cage without her.

Is there an avian vet near you that you could have teach you how to raise baby birds so you'll at least be prepared/properly educated?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Hi and welcome.

I think good, responsible, reputable breeders are always welcome. You have to start somewhere.
My question is will you be this type? Will you do it as a hobby, or a business?

Morally you'll need to put the birds and babies welfare above all else. Cockatiels are usually an inexpensive bird, and readily available in a variety of places.
Thus the reality of no homes is a possibility. What if yours don't sell? Can and will you keep them? Are you financially capable of vet bills, they will happen.
Will you offer a home back to the birds that are returned?

Do you even like birds? Is this to please your mom, or is your heart invested too?

The many of us who bought birds from good breeders realize the necessity of them.
There are already too many of the other kind.

By the way, what type of dogs does your mom breed? Just curious.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
Hi and welcome.

I think good, responsible, reputable breeders are always welcome. You have to start somewhere.
My question is will you be this type? Will you do it as a hobby, or a business?

Do you even like birds? Is this to please your mom, or is your heart invested too?

The many of us who bought birds from good breeders realize the necessity of them.
There are already too many of the other kind.

By the way, what type of dogs does your mom breed? Just curious.
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE COCKATIELS AND OTHER PARROTS (don't like budgies though) I am excited for breeding, but if It never happened, I would be okay with that. None the less, I'll still give it the old college try. If @ first you don't succeed. lol. I agree with my mom here, it would be a good endeavor. & I want to try to see it through.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Love of the birds you breed is IMO essential. Loved babies make better birds for your customers.

What type of breeder are you thinking of becoming?
There are those who pull the eggs.
Those who pull the chicks.
And those who co-parent.

Babies with no feathers (and eggs of course) need specialized equipment to regulate temperature.
Formula needs to be certain temperature and consistency at different developmental stages. It needs fed a special way so as to not aspirate, nor cause infections.
Knowledge of problems arising needs answers-do you have a mentor? Does or has your mom raised baby birds before?

Status
Not open for further replies.