• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus chicks

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
I hope you dont mind me asking another, question. So will the daily massages, heat soaks, etc, re-locate the spine and hip back into place? Still a bit confused. I know you are doing the best thing for him. :hug8:
I don't mind the questions. I asked plenty of the vet. The massaging and manipulation are to encourage him to use his muscles and to keep him limber as he is healing. If he begins to move on his own and gains muscle strength his spine may straighten some. It is not terribly twisted. The impact caused trauma. Hopefully once the inflamation lessons he will be inclined to move.

There is not a surgery for this particular injury if that is what you are asking. There is no break or crack or crushed anything.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I really am grateful that he has Kathy to take care of him while he's trying to heal. I have a lot of hope that he'll regain motor in his legs, even if he does have a dominant side.

Thank you all, awesome people of AA, for sending healing thoughts to this special little man

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am so very sorry Kathy and Jenny. I hope that he heals as well as possible. Matt

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
OH NO! Poor baby boy. Lots of tears and healing thoughts.

Deej

Real Name
Deena
Kathy how is the baby boy doing? Does there seem to be any improvement at all? :( I am hoping with time he regains the use of his legs, he has been on my mind since you posted about him.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Oh no, just seeing this. Sending many prayers for him to heal up:hug8::hug8: Thank you for taking such good care of him:hug8:

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
Kathy how is the baby boy doing? Does there seem to be any improvement at all? :( I am hoping with time he regains the use of his legs, he has been on my mind since you posted about him.
Very little, Deena. I have felt and seem him move his toes a bit but not his legs. His tail rests to his left a bit, so I have been massaging the base of his spine and gently pushing his tail end to the right. When I do this he will react with his feet sometimes by curling his toes on his left foot mostly. I thought his right leg was going to be the first to come around if they do but now think it may be his left leg which is not usually pulled up as tightly to his tummy.

It's been a week today.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Sending My thoughts and prayers for the little guy:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Deej

Real Name
Deena
:( Aw man, I was hoping for a better update. You know, I'm happy to hear that you are seeing movement in his toes though, maybe that shows his nerves are still okay and it is just going to take time and a whole bunch of TLC. I will send extra healing vibes and positive thoughts his way. I'm really pulling for him. :heart:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:( Oh no! Seeing this for the first time. Sending lots of healing thoughts.:hug8:What a little trooper!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Im so sorry you and the baby are going through this. Sometimes it sucks being a breeder. I hope you start seeing improvement soon.

CrazyBirdLady

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jaime
I am also just seeing this. Poor baby boy! What a difficult situation for you, baby boy, and Jenny.

:hug8: to you all.

HowlsOfAngels

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
Poor little guy, hopefully he'll regain at least partial use.

I have a horse that, as a yearling, slipped in some mud, rolled, and struck her shoulder. The muscle atrophied, the shoulder was flat as a pancake within a week, and the radial nerve was gone. After three months of daily massaging and flexing she could lift it and use it rather effectively while she grazed and ran. I called around and found that one of the best things I could due for her, to help stimulate the nerve and muscle, was electro-acupuncture. She had two sessions and was very sore afterward, but after a week of recovery she gained more muscle tone and furthered her limited range of motion. The hoof is still a bit funky, grows more like a donkies than a horses due to the other legs adaptations, but a year later and she can run like the dickens, rear up, and act like a total brat without anyone knowing that she's a bit disabled; she'll never be a riding horse, but she is very happy tearing up her pasture.

Perhaps acupuncture, or electro-acupuncture may be able to help your boy as well? I know it's difficult enough finding an avian vet much less a vet who practices acupuncture, but thought it may be worth mentioning. Good luck with your boy, nerves are a difficult thing to heal/regrow but his chances for recovery are higtened by his youth.

Links: American Academy of Veterinary Acupuncture | To improve animal health care by the advancement of veterinary acupuncture and Traditional Oriental Veterinary Medicine through education, research and leadership , FIND A HOLISTIC VETERINARIAN