• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus chicks

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you for sharing! They are very sweet! Matt

Crackseed

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Seth
So very awesome Kathy :) I'm experiencing all the baby bird foibles now but I don't think I expected to be quite so concerned over how clumsy these little guys can be when learning to move around :O

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
So very awesome Kathy :) I'm experiencing all the baby bird foibles now but I don't think I expected to be quite so concerned over how clumsy these little guys can be when learning to move around :O
They are clumsy and need to rest often after each adventure. I think its cute when they just STOP right where they are and lay down!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Look at them growing up so fast and exploring their awesome playarea!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They look all grown up! Matt

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I am in absolute love with all of these pictures!!! The lighting in the last two is so beautiful, it accentuates their colors. Out of curiosity, how long does it usually take for them to lose that baby coloring in the beak? I can't remember if I've already asked you that... I feel like I've already asked about a thousand questions :lol::o:

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
For those watching this thread I have some difficult news. The little male took a fall and injured himself. He has a dislocated lower spine and separated pelvis. He cannot move his legs. Much physical therapy and massage *may* result in him regaining use of his legs. We just don't know. Meanwhile I am learning to hand feed as his parents are unsure how to react.

This happened Friday evening when he was sleeping on a rope with his head tucked behind his head for the first time. He fell straight down and landed on his front side. I was close by and raced to him. His legs were extended behind him.

Without knowing what his eventual abilities will be or what his recovery will be I have told Jenny that we cannot count on him going home to her.

Please keep her in your thoughts. She was so looking forward to having a green man join her family.

Deej

Real Name
Deena
I am so sorry to hear this news. :( This is so sad. Healing vibes going out to this young boy that he is able to regain the use of his legs and I'm sending extra thoughts for his parents because they are confused about this also. My thoughts are with you and Jenny while we all wait with you to see how he progresses. Give the handsome boy a gentle hug for me.

sweet francis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
lindsey
Oh no! I too am so sad to hear this news :( Sending healing thoughts to the poor little guy.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I am SO sorry to hear this news, it's been so much fun watching your little ones grow and to read this is really saddening. I hope :angel1: your little man pulls through and :fingerscrossed: that Jenny is able to be his mom at some time in the future. :hug8::hug8:

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
So sorry to hear this! :hug8:Sending healing thoughts to the little guy!!

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
I'm so sorry, I hope he recovers :hug8:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So sorry to hear this :(

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
Oh no! I hope he recovers. :(

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Oh man, I am so sorry the baby boy got injured. Dislocated lower spine and hip? Can it be popped back into place? (sorry I am ignorant on this, and dont know how one would fix this?)

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
No, the vet did not think she should "do" anything to his back. It is the synsacrum portion that is twisted to the left, if you want to look at a skeletal diagram.

I have been massaging him and giving him warm soaks but now I can work on him without fear of damaging him. It is very sad to see him so helpless, but he is being such a good boy. I expect this will take a long, long time to heal (to whatever degree it heals).

The irchium/pelvis is separated assymetrically. That is probably causing some swelling/inflamation. We are hoping metacam will help with this.

I think one toe clenched a bit today when I was blow drying him after his soaking. That is huge. His right leg seems to have more control than his left although at first I was not sure if it was involuntary movement. After the xrays I allowed myself to breathe.

Thanks for your kind thoughts. Poor little guy. He was so very good for the vet. Then he had his first piece of ice from my soda since we went to town. He sure enjoyed that. Very daunting to think he is so dependent on me. I'll tell you what, hand feeders deserve credit.

I wrapped him in a towel and stood him upright in a plastic pitcher and finally was able to get him to take formula. Very difficult when they are lying down. Plus he has no clue what formula is, what I'm doing since mom and dad are supposed to be feeding him and what that thing I'm putting in his mouth is. But we are getting there. Formula all over him and me and Sailor who was on my shoulder trying to eat the formula off the baby.

Last edited:

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
You deserve credit!

Anyway, sending healing thoughts!! Hope he recovers!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I hope you dont mind me asking another, question. So will the daily massages, heat soaks, etc, re-locate the spine and hip back into place? Still a bit confused. I know you are doing the best thing for him. :hug8:

artgeek09

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Jessica
It's so heartbreaking to hear this :'( I know you're doing the absolute best for him and he couldn't have a better caregiver. Prayers being sent little man can heal and regain control. :hug8: