• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus chicks

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Decided to create a thread for those who like to watch chicks develop. The oldest is 8 days old today:

solo

Real Name
jess
ahh i can see this becoming my favorite thread:D

artgeek09

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Jessica
I love it!!! I'll definitely be coming back to this thread to see those growing babies! IMO, eclectus chicks have to be the absolute cutest!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My goodness! They are so freaking adorable! :heart:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
awwwwwww:heart:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Such sweet babies! I will love following this thread!

Matt

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great pics. I was just googling eclectus pictures last night. When will you know if they are boys or girls? Are you planning to hand-feed or going to wait and see how things go?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Who are the proud mom & dad of these little bubs? :heart::heart: What are ekkie parents like - do they share the duties or is it a strictly "mom" thing? I jokingly had said that the tiels are 1990's parents cause they share all the duties and the gccs are 1950's parents cause dad has the fun and then sticks mom with the chick rearing ... :rolleyes:

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
Great pics. I was just googling eclectus pictures last night. When will you know if they are boys or girls? Are you planning to hand-feed or going to wait and see how things go?
Their colored feathers will emerge at around 21 days. No hand feeding. She is an experienced hen who feeds through weaning. She and I are very close. I've had her since she was 4 months old and have gained her trust which is why I can take pictures of her and her chicks.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
Who are the proud mom & dad of these little bubs? :heart::heart: What are ekkie parents like - do they share the duties or is it a strictly "mom" thing? I jokingly had said that the tiels are 1990's parents cause they share all the duties and the gccs are 1950's parents cause dad has the fun and then sticks mom with the chick rearing ... :rolleyes:
Rose and Sailor (http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-boulevard/103283-gonna-need-new-siggie.html)

Feeding in the nest is left to the hen but the male feeds her. After the chicks fledge the male feeds them and sometimes the hen lets him wean them. I'm curious if I'll have some additional males feeding the fledged chicks this time. I think Jackie might like to help feed.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Interesting - so then Rose is in for a hawl of a couple more weeks and then (hopefully) she'll get a bit of a break from beng "the one"? :D

I'd also meant to add, it's nice when mom feels that you're safe enough to be allowed around the chicks before they're fledged, isn't it? The tiels and gccs were okay with me too and I looked at it as being somewhat of an honour to be entrusted to be around the little ones ... without someone ripping out your throat or threatening your fingers. Then again your fid parents are quite a tad bigger than a tiel or gcc.

Last edited:

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
Interesting - so then Rose is in for a hawl of a couple more weeks and then (hopefully) she'll get a bit of a break from beng "the one"? :D
No, she will feed until they leave the nest and that won't be until they are about 9 or 10 weeks old. I'll find the picture of the last one and see exactly how old he was when he climbed out. Yes, nine weeks is about when they beging the fledging process so she still has almost 2 months on her own. She loves it though.

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
Oh, this is going to be a cool thread.
Can't wait. :3

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy

I'd also meant to add, it's nice when mom feels that you're safe enough to be allowed around the chicks before they're fledged, isn't it? The tiels and gccs were okay with me too and I looked at it as being somewhat of an honour to be entrusted to be around the little ones ... without someone ripping out your throat or threatening your fingers. Then again your fid parents are quite a tad bigger than a tiel or gcc.
I definitely feel honored that she trusts me as much as she does. Of course she will protect her babies but since this is clutch 4 she knows I'm not going to take them. I was happy to realize that although it has been over 3 years since her last chick hatched, she is very calm when I open the lid to her box. She grinds her beak while I'm talking to her or rubs her beak on the lip of the box to clean it. Such a good girl and such a good mom. I learn a lot from her.

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
aww i love your relationship you have with her and your others. :)
can't wait for more updates

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I almost didn't look at this thread since I can't offer any help about breeding questions...but now I'm glad I did :) This will definitely be my favorite thread.