• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus chicks

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Poor little guy, hopefully he'll regain at least partial use.

I have a horse that, as a yearling, slipped in some mud, rolled, and struck her shoulder. The muscle atrophied, the shoulder was flat as a pancake within a week, and the radial nerve was gone. After three months of daily massaging and flexing she could lift it and use it rather effectively while she grazed and ran. I called around and found that one of the best things I could due for her, to help stimulate the nerve and muscle, was electro-acupuncture. She had two sessions and was very sore afterward, but after a week of recovery she gained more muscle tone and furthered her limited range of motion. The hoof is still a bit funky, grows more like a donkies than a horses due to the other legs adaptations, but a year later and she can run like the dickens, rear up, and act like a total brat without anyone knowing that she's a bit disabled; she'll never be a riding horse, but she is very happy tearing up her pasture.

Perhaps acupuncture, or electro-acupuncture may be able to help your boy as well? I know it's difficult enough finding an avian vet much less a vet who practices acupuncture, but thought it may be worth mentioning. Good luck with your boy, nerves are a difficult thing to heal/regrow but his chances for recovery are higtened by his youth.

Links: American Academy of Veterinary Acupuncture | To improve animal health care by the advancement of veterinary acupuncture and Traditional Oriental Veterinary Medicine through education, research and leadership , FIND A HOLISTIC VETERINARIAN

Thank you very much Miranda. I have been reading anything I can find, which is extremely limited regarding avian physical therapy -- especially relating to legs. It would be a miracle if one on the list you provided is within driving distance of me! I will look.

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I've not looked in on this thread for a while, please give my over the net adopted son a kiss from his virtual adoptive mom and I hope that time heals what has happened to the little man. :(

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I've just seen this and I'm so sorry :hug8:

Best wishes for you and the little guy!

yvette

Real Name
Yvette
Poor little fella...Hope things get better quickly. He is in good hands with you, and Im sure with your love you will get him well. Thinking of you :hug8:

Dulphinz

Meeting neighbors
Cutest babies :). Hope your little Skipper is recovering and getting better! Heartbreaking:(

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
How are the two cuties going and in particular how's my man Skipper travelling?

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
How are the two cuties going and in particular how's my man Skipper travelling?
They are just two weeks short of 5 months old! Both still getting a bit of a feed from parents -- Rose feeds Skipper and Sailor feeds Jersey. Skipper needs a bit more comfort feedings of course.

He's made some minor improvements but still cannot use his legs. We manage though and he is a good natured fellow. He has done a bit of low level flying but has little control. He is happiest on the floor of the bird room, somewhere I want no bird to be, but I've made an exception for him. He can use his wings and beak to navigate a bit.

Jersey is a nice girl too. Independent but still willing to fly to me when the urge hits. She is naughty to her brother so I have to watch her around him. Thankfully she doesn't approach him too often. All the other birds are nice to him.

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Aaaaah, brother and sisterly love, you can't beat it. :D

I have a sibling who is disabled also and my brother and I treated her like normal and were evil on several occasions to her. :lol:

Does it look like Skipper is going to remain with little/no use of his legs? Is that the prolonged forecast for him?

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
We don't know if things will continue to improve or if this is it. I think a lot of it is up to him. That is basically what the vet told me and at the time I didn't understand exactly. But now that he is over the trauma of the fall and not in discomfort, I see that he is trying to do certain things, but not others.

He wants to pull himself up with his beak as high as he can reach, but he doesn't assist with his legs or feet. Of course maybe he cannot. When I massage them he does curl his toes and occasionally open them and will move the lower joint/wrist but he does not move his hips and rarely moves his elbows.

It is very different caring for a bird who cannot even sit. He does best eating if I put the food on the floor/paper with him. Bowls are a bit of a hassle for him. Water has no interest to him regardless how I offer it. I trimmed the feathers around his vent in an effort to keep him clean. Let's just say it's a full time effort to keep him clean, safe and stimulated.

Last edited:

artgeek09

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Jessica
Poor buddy. It's good to hear though that he's being so well taken care of. I think about you and your flock often and send continued prayers for lil man's improvements. How does he stay hydrated if he isn't interested in water if you don't mind me asking?