• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dumping food bowls

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yes, Elvis has started dumping his food bowls. He has feeder doors on his cage and they're the metal bowls that fit in the doors. You're not supposed to be able to get them out from the inside but of course, Elvis can. :rolleyes: I know you can buy bowls that attach directly to the cage but I like the feeder doors so that other people can change his food and water without opening his cage. I need to figure something out because I'm getting concerned that if he dumps them in the morning, then he has no food until I get home from work. (So far, he doesn't dump his water bowl- just his 2 food bowls.) Is there a way to some how keep the food bowls in? Any thought or ideas?

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My CAG does this, too, if she can get a bowl out of its holder. Luckily for me, only one of four food bowl rings are somehow loose enough for her to do this.

This may be controversial, but my suggestion is to let him spend a day or two like this and see if he stops. (Of course give him food when you get home, but maybe a day without food will teach him not to dump it.)

Good luck.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I vaguely recall someone running something across the top/back to hold them in. Think I can remember where I saw that...not.

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I vaguely recall someone running something across the top/back to hold them in. Think I can remember where I saw that...not.
Yes! There's another member that has a bowl with like a steel frame that he pushes into it from the outside! I can't remember if he bought it or if its something he made though! I will see if I can find it!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@sunnysmom what a devil he is! Omg! Little stinker! :rofl:
I know, right? Just when I think I've gotten a situation under control a new one arises. I have been letting him stay downstairs during the day because the fiancé is still home right now and I figure it's better to at least have some human interaction during the day than to be upstairs in his bigger cage alone. However, once the fiancé goes back to work, I think having him in the bigger cage during the day with even more toys than he has now might help.... Of course, I may go bankrupt if he starts destroying even more toys a day than he does now. :rolleyes: And to think that this was the bird that for the first 3 months sat quietly on top of his cage and wouldn't move. Things have certainly changed.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yes! There's another member that has a bowl with like a steel frame that he pushes into it from the outside! I can't remember if he bought it or if its something he made though! I will see if I can find it!
THanks!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I know, right? Just when I think I've gotten a situation under control a new one arises. I have been letting him stay downstairs during the day because the fiancé is still home right now and I figure it's better to at least have some human interaction during the day than to be upstairs in his bigger cage alone. However, once the fiancé goes back to work, I think having him in the bigger cage during the day with even more toys than he has now might help.... Of course, I may go bankrupt if he starts destroying even more toys a day than he does now. :rolleyes: And to think that this was the bird that for the first 3 months sat quietly on top of his cage and wouldn't move. Things have certainly changed.
Still looking for that, don't remember what it was in it could have been in the food court area...will find it. I can't get over he sat quietly on the top of his cage lol. I think back to how shy & scared Fred was, he is so not that bird now. I used to have to feed him through the cage bars. Now he would rather sit on my shoulder and throw my croutons out of my salad! Lol he's a riot!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
All kidding aside can you get one of those heavy dog food bowls and put his food in that and sit the bowl on the cage floor? Of course he wont like it at first.
I actually put in a lock bowl this morning that attached to the cage. An extra from when the fosters were here. So it will work. But I still need to figure out something with the other bowls because I want people to be able to change his food and water through the feeder doors if I'm away, etc.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are heavier ceramic bowls that are difficult to lift but they may or may not fit in the rings. For example: Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Ceramic Marble Crock Dish Bird Cups, 8-Ounce, Assorted Colors : Pet Bird Feeders : Pet Supplies (comes with a screw on holder if you need to use that). There are also hooded ones Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products BPV1241 10.2-Ounce Hooded Ceramic Bird Cups, Medium, Colors Vary : Pet Bird Feeders : Pet Supplies

I liked the Fenix crocks but Fenix has closed its doors.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo does this too. I put a platform perch under the food bowls as he was going underneath to push them in and out.

What is his method of removal?

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I've wedged a folded wad of paper between the bowl and the ring which always seems to work, but then there's always the chance that you may not be able to get the bowl out either lol.
This bird has an engineering degree. He would be looking under the bowl to figure out what's stopping it. :hehe::huh::roflmao: