• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dumping food bowls

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You need to find a bowl like this. It's old and made by Hagan. They can't get these off.

WaterBowl.jpg

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
I use one of these. This brand attaches to the outside or inside of the cage. It'll fit in an open feed door.
Amazon.com : Birds LOVE Bird Feeder Seed Tray for Lovebirds, Cockatiels, Canaries, Sun Conures-Bird Food Dish and Seed Catcher - Mess No More Bird Feeder for Cage-Hanging Cup for Outside or Inside Cage: Pet Supplies

UPDATE: I don't believe this one would be large enough for a Too. There is a larger one available at Amazon, tho.
Amazon.com : KINTOR No-Mess Bird Feeder NO Assembly with Rough-surfaced Stainless Steel Perch (M-6.3x6.3x6.3inch) : Pet Supplies

Wedging a piece of paper between the bowl and ring (Nancy) is an excellent idea, BTW, and very inexpensive as well.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
[
There are heavier ceramic bowls that are difficult to lift but they may or may not fit in the rings. For example: Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Ceramic Marble Crock Dish Bird Cups, 8-Ounce, Assorted Colors : Pet Bird Feeders : Pet Supplies (comes with a screw on holder if you need to use that). There are also hooded ones Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products BPV1241 10.2-Ounce Hooded Ceramic Bird Cups, Medium, Colors Vary : Pet Bird Feeders : Pet Supplies

I liked the Fenix crocks but Fenix has closed its doors.
I found it @sunnysmom ! a. Bowl Holders - Don's Birds
Found this in an old post....its a guy that makes holder.
Thanks! I will look into both!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Jingo does this too. I put a platform perch under the food bowls as he was going underneath to push them in and out.

What is his method of removal?
He some how wedges them out from the top. Of course, this probably was made easier by him dismantling the door. Maybe it's not tight enough now?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
This bird has an engineering degree. He would be looking under the bowl to figure out what's stopping it. :hehe::huh::roflmao:
Yes, he would. He watches everything I do too.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You need to find a bowl like this. It's old and made by Hagan. They can't get these off.

View attachment 294037
I use one of these. This brand attaches to the outside or inside of the cage. It'll fit in an open feed door.
Amazon.com : Birds LOVE Bird Feeder Seed Tray for Lovebirds, Cockatiels, Canaries, Sun Conures-Bird Food Dish and Seed Catcher - Mess No More Bird Feeder for Cage-Hanging Cup for Outside or Inside Cage: Pet Supplies

UPDATE: I don't believe this one would be large enough for a Too. There is a larger one available at Amazon, tho.
Amazon.com : KINTOR No-Mess Bird Feeder NO Assembly with Rough-surfaced Stainless Steel Perch (M-6.3x6.3x6.3inch) : Pet Supplies

Wedging a piece of paper between the bowl and ring (Nancy) is an excellent idea, BTW, and very inexpensive as well.
Thanks. I'll look into it. I'm pretty sure he would remove the paper but it's worth a try too.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Yes, he would. He watches everything I do too.
I told you...he's probably Einstein reincarnated. Wow. :rofl: He's cute as a button though. I can't get over how cute he is.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I told you...he's probably Einstein reincarnated. Wow. :rofl: He's cute as a button though. I can't get over how cute he is.
Awww, thank you. :xflove: I think he's pretty cute too.

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
We've tried several types of bowls with our G2. He was able to eventually figure out how to remove them all. It didn't matter what type of nut was used to secure it, or how tightly it was on, he would work at it until the bowl clattered free.
We solved the problem, at least temporarily, by getting several large bolts with wing nuts, and scattering them around his cage and play stand. We have to find the pieces and put them back together several times daily, but he at least leaves his bowls alone.
We buy many of his toys in the infant department: teething rings, shape sorters, electronic music makers, etc. Most of them are durable enough to last a couple weeks, at least.
We've also been making our own bird toys. A bit time consuming, but much less expensive.
Acrylic bird toys seem almost indestructible, but given time, I'm fairly certain he can destroy those as well. Hasn't happened yet, though.
Some of his favorite toys are simple household items, however. He loves the cheap, tube type ink pens. We remove the ink tube and let him have the pen and cap. He loves tying them in intricate knots with shoe strings, then shredding the pen tube.
We sew buttons and bangles on to a piece of material, as he loves to remove things like that (I now own several shirts with all the buttons removed, and several pairs of jeans that are missing buttons and rivets).
We thread colored plastic beads on to colorful para cord, then braid three strands together, with several knots spaced a few inches apart. These can sometimes keep him busy for several hours.
When we aren't looking, he'll attack my shoe laces when I leave my shoes beneath the coffee table. I've spent many a bemused minute figuring out how to untie the intricate knots he puts in the laces.
Having a G2 really is like keeping up with a very intelligent toddler.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
We've tried several types of bowls with our G2. He was able to eventually figure out how to remove them all. It didn't matter what type of nut was used to secure it, or how tightly it was on, he would work at it until the bowl clattered free.
We solved the problem, at least temporarily, by getting several large bolts with wing nuts, and scattering them around his cage and play stand. We have to find the pieces and put them back together several times daily, but he at least leaves his bowls alone.
We buy many of his toys in the infant department: teething rings, shape sorters, electronic music makers, etc. Most of them are durable enough to last a couple weeks, at least.
We've also been making our own bird toys. A bit time consuming, but much less expensive.
Acrylic bird toys seem almost indestructible, but given time, I'm fairly certain he can destroy those as well. Hasn't happened yet, though.
Some of his favorite toys are simple household items, however. He loves the cheap, tube type ink pens. We remove the ink tube and let him have the pen and cap. He loves tying them in intricate knots with shoe strings, then shredding the pen tube.
We sew buttons and bangles on to a piece of material, as he loves to remove things like that (I now own several shirts with all the buttons removed, and several pairs of jeans that are missing buttons and rivets).
We thread colored plastic beads on to colorful para cord, then braid three strands together, with several knots spaced a few inches apart. These can sometimes keep him busy for several hours.
When we aren't looking, he'll attack my shoe laces when I leave my shoes beneath the coffee table. I've spent many a bemused minute figuring out how to untie the intricate knots he puts in the laces.
Having a G2 really is like keeping up with a very intelligent toddler.
Those are really good ideas. Thank you. Elvis really likes nuts and bolts so I should work on more things like that for him. Very interesting that your goffin ties knots. So far Elvis hasn't tied them but he loves untying them. They really are so smart.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
This bird has an engineering degree.
You are correct...I watched that bugger undo nuts and bolts...and a couple of different type locks while he was here...and he's fearless...he undid them while he KNEW I was watching him! :jawdrop1: I've never seen a bird so mechanically inclined as Elvis.

He's progressed even more in the last few months, as @sunnysmom has chronicled...a mechanically inclined 'too with a desire for mischief is one LARGE handful...;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You are correct...I watched that bugger undo nuts and bolts...and a couple of different type locks while he was here...and he's fearless...he undid them while he KNEW I was watching him! :jawdrop1: I've never seen a bird so mechanically inclined as Elvis.

He's progressed even more in the last few months, as @sunnysmom has chronicled...a mechanically inclined 'too with a desire for mischief is one LARGE handful...;)
LOL. He is fearless - unless you are a sweeper or dust mop. Then he's terrified. But yes, he has no qualms about working on locks, doors, etc. while you are watching. I'm constantly looking for ways to keep him mentally stimulated. Unfortunately, he's afraid of the forager/puzzle toys too. I guess I have to work on getting him past that because I think he would enjoy them if he could get over his fear.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
LOL. He is fearless - unless you are a sweeper or dust mop. Then he's terrified.
:rofl: what is it about these items! Fred doesn't mind the carpet sweeper or vacuum but is terrified of the dust pan and brush! He's a trip! Right now ignoring me yesterday and today (unless I have food) because I worked several shifts back to back the beginning of the week. I have to practically beg for his attention now! He looks at me as if to say YEAH RIGHT WHY DON'T YOU GO BACK TO WORK! :banghead: stubborn thing he is.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
:rofl: I can't even imagine! They are so cute when you know they're up to no good when all you can see are their tail feathers or they peak around a corner to see where you are! Fred does that!!:hehe: I don't believe he's fully settled yet. He's very comfortable and just starting to fly pretty often. But I get glimpses every now and then of a bird that's a little different.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:rofl: I can't even imagine! They are so cute when you know they're up to no good when all you can see are their tail feathers or they peak around a corner to see where you are! Fred does that!!:hehe: I don't believe he's fully settled yet. He's very comfortable and just starting to fly pretty often. But I get glimpses every now and then of a bird that's a little different.
Fred is a cutie. I always said an RB2 was my fantasy bird. Now that I have a G2, I don't know if I can handle 2 cockatoos (and the fiancé says absolutely not) but they are so, so pretty.

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
Unfortunately, he's afraid of the forager/puzzle toys too. I guess I have to work on getting him past that because I think he would enjoy them if he could get over his fear.
we bought a toddler electronic toy that has a light touch to activate it. In the beginning we kept it on the coffee table away from his cage and we would randomly activate the toy because he was afraid of it. Each week we would move it slightly closer to his cage. We then placed it on his bird stand that is next to his cage and only activate it when he was not on the stand. We finally put it on top his cage and we never activated it there after. Think it was over a week when he was finally able to be brave enough to not only go near it and touch it, but actually touch it hard enough to activate it himself. The first time he immediately ran away but then stopped to turn and see that it was not chasing him. He wold then do his "do-da-do" strut back over and look at it. It is not his favorite toy still but he sometimes does activate it and it no longer frightens him. You can try desensitizing in that manner.

And the big bolts and wing nuts my husband was discussing, he got about the largest he could get at the home depot or menards type store had. I had my doubts that our G2 would be able to hold it and undo it, but he does. I had also found wonderful large plastic ones on line. Another favorite toy is an acrylic ring toss and rings. He takes the rings on and off and moves them to the other posts.

Try thick zip ties! Even just to his cage and let him pry and chew them off. Grab those crazy buckets with different sizes, starting with the small easy ones and moving to bigger ones. And you don't even need to pull them tight. They are a toy all by themselves! just tie tight enough he cant strangle himself.

Our G2 came to us from a home where, all but the husband was afraid of him and once the circle of Rio biting and screaming for attention, and the family in turn, becoming more afraid of his biting and tired of the screaming, out casting him more and he was moved out to the garage, away from the family and interactions. Amazingly he did not take to plucking but instead would crunch and throw his food for the only entertainment he could muster up. (seeds spouted and were growing in the bottom of his cage) Poor bugger. So upon his arrival he takes his food and still crunches it on occasion, but not near as much as he used to. And we learned to only put enough food in his bowl for one feeding at a time, 2-3 times a day, about the size that could fill his crop. We would avoid filling his bowl during the times he was wasting food, and closer to the times we actually saw him eating it. Otherwise we were going to end up in the poor house with the amounts of food he was throwing away. He is now better occupied with human interaction and toys. whew.

The G2 is his, the B&G is mine. The B&G is having a bit of a time with hormonal male macaw stuff. He keeps building nests and is waiting for me to lay an egg. Not as romantic as it may seem.

sherri, the wife of the mad house

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
JLcribber said:

View

Oh, the feed cup that attach to the outside and supposedly cannot be removed by a bird, appears it is attached using a wing nut, so if your bird is allowed to play on the outside of the cage, as ours do and are not kept in their cages unless we are not here, they would learn to remove the wingnut and it would come crashing down. Ceramics are hard for our birds to pick up so that would be something you could try. Too smooth and heavy. I found ramekins affordable (bought for creme brulee) and use for bowls on top and on the floor inside the food bowls. Again, finding ceramic or glass to fit in a ring...

Before ordering or buying, work through it in your brain, as if you were this bird.

People on here have such great ideas!

sherri

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
we bought a toddler electronic toy that has a light touch to activate it. In the beginning we kept it on the coffee table away from his cage and we would randomly activate the toy because he was afraid of it. Each week we would move it slightly closer to his cage. We then placed it on his bird stand that is next to his cage and only activate it when he was not on the stand. We finally put it on top his cage and we never activated it there after. Think it was over a week when he was finally able to be brave enough to not only go near it and touch it, but actually touch it hard enough to activate it himself. The first time he immediately ran away but then stopped to turn and see that it was not chasing him. He wold then do his "do-da-do" strut back over and look at it. It is not his favorite toy still but he sometimes does activate it and it no longer frightens him. You can try desensitizing in that manner.

And the big bolts and wing nuts my husband was discussing, he got about the largest he could get at the home depot or menards type store had. I had my doubts that our G2 would be able to hold it and undo it, but he does. I had also found wonderful large plastic ones on line. Another favorite toy is an acrylic ring toss and rings. He takes the rings on and off and moves them to the other posts.

Try thick zip ties! Even just to his cage and let him pry and chew them off. Grab those crazy buckets with different sizes, starting with the small easy ones and moving to bigger ones. And you don't even need to pull them tight. They are a toy all by themselves! just tie tight enough he cant strangle himself.

Our G2 came to us from a home where, all but the husband was afraid of him and once the circle of Rio biting and screaming for attention, and the family in turn, becoming more afraid of his biting and tired of the screaming, out casting him more and he was moved out to the garage, away from the family and interactions. Amazingly he did not take to plucking but instead would crunch and throw his food for the only entertainment he could muster up. (seeds spouted and were growing in the bottom of his cage) Poor bugger. So upon his arrival he takes his food and still crunches it on occasion, but not near as much as he used to. And we learned to only put enough food in his bowl for one feeding at a time, 2-3 times a day, about the size that could fill his crop. We would avoid filling his bowl during the times he was wasting food, and closer to the times we actually saw him eating it. Otherwise we were going to end up in the poor house with the amounts of food he was throwing away. He is now better occupied with human interaction and toys. whew.

The G2 is his, the B&G is mine. The B&G is having a bit of a time with hormonal male macaw stuff. He keeps building nests and is waiting for me to lay an egg. Not as romantic as it may seem.

sherri, the wife of the mad house
Poor Rio. How lucky he is that you ended up with him. I bet he's so thrilled to have toys and attention now. I don't know much about my G2's history or his age- other than that he's over 25. It took him probably about 6 months to really come out of his shell- but he certainly has, full force. LOL. Thanks for the great suggestions.