• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Complications due to band- advice needed

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Welp, I have just gotten back from the vet, and Geralt is a lucky boy. They initially tried to remove his band with their usual tools, but he had to be anesthetized.

They managed to remove the band without complications, but it was worse than it looked. The band appeared lose at fest, but the real damage had been masked by the band. A lot of the skin and tissue beneath it was dead, and he started picking at it and tearing off hunks of skin and flesh. He's only at a 3/5 on the health scale, due to his foot and injured tailfeathers and weighs 39grams.
Thankfully, we were still at the vet waiting for my aunt and her dog, so we got him to see the vet again quite quickly.

Now, he's in a cone to keep him from getting at his foot. The vets joked about him having 0 survival instincts because he got his head stuck while they were putting the cone on him.

She told me to keep his foot and leg clean and to apply polysporin. If he shows signs of infection, I have to go pick up medication they essentially have on stand-by for him. At the time I got him back, I was so stressed out that I could hardly speak and had a massive nosebleed (I have anxiety issues), and forgot to ask a few questions.

This is where I need the advice;

1- I have to keep him in the little medical cage I have because he can no longer perch, due to the cone of shame. What can I do to keep him comfortable at night?
2- What kind of toys can I give him?
3- Should I scrape off bits of his cuttlebone into his food?
4- How do I keep him from constantly tipping over?
5- I bought a fresh tube of polysporin just for him. How can I get him to extend his leg?
6- What can I do to keep him from chewing at the cone?
7- I have to keep him away from Triss to keep him from regurgitating for the rest of the week, will she be okay?
8- Will he be alright if he tips over overnight, or should I set an alarm just to check on him every few hours?
9- Do the dishes I put with him look alright?
10- he keeps tipping over his water, what can I do to prevent this?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How stressful. I hope he heals quickly. That cone seems huge. I'm not sure what to suggest. I am sure others will have advice for you.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
It is absolutely huge, but the vet said he needed it to stop him from tearing up his leg.

poor little guy kept tipping over or falling into his water, so I've moved that into a lid, but he is so stressed and tired and seems to have no strength in his previously banded leg...

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
:( So sorry about this. Are you sure that cone is the right size? Is your vet a certified avian veterinarian? It looks like he can't balance at all with it and if he tips over and you're not around/awake, he could be in trouble.

I can't answer all of your questions but with respect to the water tipping over, use a heavier/weighted bowl so that it's more balanced. To keep him comfortable, just provide soft and safe surroundings. Maybe some shreddables will help distract him, although that cone seems pretty difficult to forget.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Wow, that cone looks huge! I can imagine your concern for Geralt :(

For your medical cage, I would suggest putting down a towel on the floor. If he has problems getting to his food, I think putting it in his cage without the cup would be fine too for the time being or maybe have ones that are shallower. For water, not sure if it would be easy or not to have him use a water bottle. For toys, I would place some small foot toys on the floor but also hang some so he can reach them if he stands. During this time, he will need extra TLC, so I would also spend some time hand feeding (and providing water by hand too) to make sure he is fed and well hydrated.

For applying the polysporin on his cage, can you do it if hes perched on your finger? My sennie had a foot injury when I adopted her, so I actually put the antiobotic cream on my finger first and then had him step on to it.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
:( So sorry about this. Are you sure that cone is the right size? Is your vet a certified avian veterinarian? It looks like he can't balance at all with it and if he tips over and you're not around/awake, he could be in trouble.

I can't answer all of your questions but with respect to the water tipping over, use a heavier/weighted bowl so that it's more balanced. To keep him comfortable, just provide soft and safe surroundings. Maybe some shreddables will help distract him, although that cone seems pretty difficult to forget.
Yes, she was an avian certified vet. I might call her to see if I can trim it later, once he's calmed down. He can sort of walk with it, but he keeps getting distracted with the cone, attacking it, and then rolls over.

Poor baby got all wet before I managed to take out his water dish and replace it with a smaller/heavier one.

Wow, that cone looks huge! I can imagine your concern for Geralt :(

For your medical cage, I would suggest putting down a towel on the floor. If he has problems getting to his food, I think putting it in his cage without the cup would be fine too for the time being or maybe have ones that are shallower. For water, not sure if it would be easy or not to have him use a water bottle. For toys, I would place some small foot toys on the floor but also hang some so he can reach them if he stands. During this time, he will need extra TLC, so I would also spend some time hand feeding (and providing water by hand too) to make sure he is fed and well hydrated.

For applying the polysporin on his cage, can you do it if hes perched on your finger? My sennie had a foot injury when I adopted her, so I actually put the antiobotic cream on my finger first and then had him step on to it.
Yeah. :C poor guy basically attacked and tore the skin off from where his feathers end to the top of his foot. He needs to be kept away from it while it heals, or he'll keep tearing at it. The vet said he likely couldn't even feel his foot before we got the band off.

I'm not sure if he can actually use foot toys, with how his other foot is doing. He does have a big hanging rawhide, bead and rope toy in his cage, along with a soft ring of soft ring that comes with shell and cuttlebone bits I could put in there. I also have some pre-shredded paper and a little basket he likes, but I'm not sure if he'll be able to get in and out of that.

Geralt is pretty afraid of people and doesn't perch on anyone. Today was the first time I actually got to touch him.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm not sure if he can actually use foot toys, with how his other foot is doing. He does have a big hanging rawhide, bead and rope toy in his cage, along with a soft ring of soft ring that comes with shell and cuttlebone bits I could put in there. I also have some pre-shredded paper and a little basket he likes, but I'm not sure if he'll be able to get in and out of that.
My quaker doesnt use the foot toys as foot toys, either :) But she will chew on them so that was what I was thinking as a possibility for Geralt.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
My quaker doesnt use the foot toys as foot toys, either :) But she will chew on them so that was what I was thinking as a possibility for Geralt.
Oh, I see! I'm not sure if he will be able to get at them, but I can try.
Do you think he'd like a clean sock to cuddle with?
I have some nice, clean slipper socks he can cuddle with.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
25497936_1411517825643484_5501271345973852905_n.jpg Awww I am so sorry this happened to your little darling. I think the cone is outrageous. I hope you or a friend is on FB. Here is a link to one of the best collars for tiny birds. She does a great job and if you explain the issue perhaps she can get one to you quickly.

Protective Parrot Petals by Pam - Home | Facebook

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
1- I have to keep him in the little medical cage I have because he can no longer perch, due to the cone of shame. What can I do to keep him comfortable at night?
2- What kind of toys can I give him?
3- Should I scrape off bits of his cuttlebone into his food?
4- How do I keep him from constantly tipping over?
5- I bought a fresh tube of polysporin just for him. How can I get him to extend his leg?
6- What can I do to keep him from chewing at the cone?
7- I have to keep him away from Triss to keep him from regurgitating for the rest of the week, will she be okay?
8- Will he be alright if he tips over overnight, or should I set an alarm just to check on him every few hours?
9- Do the dishes I put with him look alright?
10- he keeps tipping over his water, what can I do to prevent this?

Medical cage is a good idea.
He may not even be interested in toys so I would put them on the back burner for right now
Not much calcium in a cuttlebone so that can be on the back burner also
The tipping over is caused by the collar. (see the link I gave you)
You will need help of another person to hold him so you can extend his leg, gently of course
He will chew at the cone for a while because it looks like it is made out of paper or thin plastic, not sure
Just give Triss a bit of extra attention while your other one is in the medical cage and collar
The food dishes look ok to me. If you could get a small weighted bowl for the water it may help. They sell them for dogs and cats. Think about cleaning a small heavy stone that could go into the water and weigh the water bowl down.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I just feel bad for him being in the medical cage, it's so small and tiny.
Not sure if I can rely on someone to be there to help all the time, but I'll do my best.
I do have facebook and I'm going to message her right away.
The cone is plastic with medical tape around where his neck is to keep it from irritating him too much.
Didn't think of a stone, but I think I may try that. I've already had to take away his bigger thing of water since he kept falling into it. Once he's more comfortable with his cone, I may give him that instead.

Thanks sosoSO much for the link to PPPbP, though! I hope she can help us with something for Geralt. Poor guy is absolutely miserable.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Make sure the water dish is very small so he does not fall into it. I would remove the water at night as a safety precaution. It does take a while for birds to get used to the cone. The Petal cones are Velcro closed and she will want to know what body part you want protected. Once he is used to the petal cone put him in his regular cage that is padded just in case with perches lowered. Better to be in a mall age than a larger one right now.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Make sure the water dish is very small so he does not fall into it. I would remove the water at night as a safety precaution. It does take a while for birds to get used to the cone. The Petal cones are Velcro closed and she will want to know what body part you want protected. Once he is used to the petal cone put him in his regular cage that is padded just in case with perches lowered. Better to be in a mall age than a larger one right now.
Right now, he's got a jar lid as a water dish, as he falls into anything even remotely larger.

I've contacted her right now with what I need, and hope she can get back to me soon.

Poor Yen doesn't understand what's going on, either. She's so used to having him flying with her and she's trying to rescue him from his jail. :sad2:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
O no! I hope he improves quickly! Poor guy. I have glass(not breakable, it is really thick and heavy) dishes I use sometimes.
For veggies and the like I usually just use plates for humans.
C5324E43-D087-4588-9531-7FAEBF324B75.jpeg BEF48F47-A561-42B0-AC9A-4F5165D9607C.jpeg
When Henkie was sick I Made little hammocks for him, but that might be dangerous for him.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I have glass things like that, but with the way he keeps falling into his water, I'm worried he might drown with anything deeper than what he has. I usually use them for the lovebirds' morning baths.

He's shown just a tiny bit of improvement, but I'm still worried about his leg. He was able to grab the side of his food dish with his bad foot, but it looks like he may have gotten down to the bone. This is going to be a rough week...

Garet

Real Name
Garet
If I weren't so worried about him, this'd almost be funny. I snapped that quickly before helping him back up again. I'm not good with stress but I can't take my anxiety medication since he needs me here and those things knock me out cold...

Attachments

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I got in contact with her I hope she can make something for Geralt and have it shipped ASAP. Thankfully, my dad has a card that allows him to make online purchases, and I have a few hundred left in the bank (and a few thousand more frozen for their medical expenses and mine).

And it sounds like Triss may be laying another egg. I do NOT need this today!

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Aw, Im so sorry -- this is so stressful! :sadhug2:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
It is absolutely huge, but the vet said he needed it to stop him from tearing up his leg.

poor little guy kept tipping over or falling into his water, so I've moved that into a lid, but he is so stressed and tired and seems to have no strength in his previously banded leg...
Does he like millet? If so, consider hanging or clipping a sprig inside his hospital cage that way he doesn't have to try to bend over and reach into a bowl. As for water, maybe one of those hanging water bottles?