• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Complications due to band- advice needed

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Does he like millet? If so, consider hanging or clipping a sprig inside his hospital cage that way he doesn't have to try to bend over and reach into a bowl. As for water, maybe one of those hanging water bottles?
He loves millet, but I don't think he's ever had water out of a hanging bowl. I can try to give him some millet and see if he wants it, if I can keep him up long enough TO eat some. I've basically been helping him get to his food and water.

He really doesn't like his cone.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
How wide is his collar? Asking because I had a young "runt" tiel in a collar for a leg injury and it might be the right size for Geralt. None of them like their cones and they're all he*l bent on chewing it off. The one I was given for Baldy has 2 snappers on it and not tape. PM me if you think I can help. I can measure it for you if interested. Baldy is still small for his age and I don't think he'll ever be a big tiel; right now he's about the size of an 8-10 week old tiel and he's older than that.

Last edited:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Annnnnnd he pulled down the millet ontop of his own face and is eating it that way. Geralt noooooo.

It seems to be very wide, even wider than my palm, @SandraK. I'm not sure if that's too wide for him or not, I've never had to collar any of my birds before. I could possibly trim it so he can walk, but I don't know how much I can take off, even if I can.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Baldy's collar is approx 1 1/2" or 3 1/2 cm wide from neck padding to outer edge. I can attach a photo if you want.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Please, I'd appreciate it. This is absolutely ridiculous, he can hardly move.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
This was Baldy in his collar

IMAG1034 (640x447).jpg

I'm trying to find the flipping ruler to I can post the collar against it for size. Could've sworn I put them both down together but now can only find the collar. Go figure, yet another senior moment ...

Garet

Real Name
Garet
That's definitely much better than the one Geralt has! I wish he had that instead of the one they gave him. If I can't get ahold of someone in Canada who can make him something better, I might try to get my brother to help me make him something similar, or go back to the vet and ask for a different size... this is ridiculous.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Hmn, I wonder if I can temporarily use a little bit of paper to keep him from getting at it temporarily? I have a little cupcake thing I can put around his neck. It's paper, and the birds enjoy shredding them.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Okay, so the cupcake thing is working to distract him temporarily, possibly because he isn't exactly very bright when he's angry. He got it off, but stuck his head back in just to attack it some more.

Thankfully, I have a lot more where that one came from. Hopefully, it'll be enough to keep him distracted until I can get his better collar.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I'm trying to attach pix of Baldy's collar but due to Microsquash's latest security update my computer has been FU'd. I'll try to attach, if it doesn't work, I'm sorry next best thing is maybe txt them to a cell phone which SHOULD NOT be posted publicly for everyone's protection. If I ever meet a programmer from Microsquash they might not understand why they'll have a large red wine stain on whatever they are wearing!

So here goes: Not working for me and the Edit menu I used to have is gone. Hubby (comp expert) is out of town until next weekend. I am beyond PO'd and I don't mean post office either. I'm sorry,

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I'm trying to attach pix of Baldy's collar but due to Microsquash's latest security update my computer has been FU'd. I'll try to attach, if it doesn't work, I'm sorry next best thing is maybe txt them to a cell phone which SHOULD NOT be posted publicly for everyone's protection. If I ever meet a programmer from Microsquash they might not understand why they'll have a large red wine stain on whatever they are wearing!

So here goes: Not working for me and the Edit menu I used to have is gone. Hubby (comp expert) is out of town until next weekend. I am beyond PO'd and I don't mean post office either. I'm sorry,
Ugh, Macroserft really is oodles of fun, isn't it? If you want, I could send you my phone number privately?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Is it possible to call the vet back and tell them the color is not allowing your bird to move so that he is balanced and ask if they have something else. I did not realize you are a Canadian and the petals would be a problem to get a hold of. If you have a dropper or syringe you can hydrate him that way and still keep the small water dish in cage. There is a youbube video that shows you how to make a bird collar out of a sock. I will see if I can find it for you.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I did call them and explained the issue. They said it was the right size and it's normal for birds to have problems walking around with it, but that he'd adjust in a day or two.
:mad2: I really hope he does. Poor guy is having a rough time with this :nocomment: thing.

I'm sure I have droppers in the house, but he seems to have figured out how to get at the water in his lid.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
.... HUH, that's pretty smart. I'll have to see what I can do. I might have some of those things in the first vid laying around. The only problem would be getting him to sit around long enough for me to do that. He is really scared of humans. Do you think that sock thing might actually fit over his cone?

Silly Geralt. I accidentally removed his cupcake skirt while righting him, and he wiggled back into it. He tried so hard to get out...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
All you can do is try to work with ideas and what you have on hand and just maybe something will work! There are several videos about people making collars out of things like a water bottle. Many of them are made by young people like yourself.

And Garet please try to get a good nights sleep. You must be exhausted. You can put a night light near the cage in case you want to peek at him during the night. May the Gods of Lovebirds look down upon you both and bring healing of the leg. Oh and I would contact the breeder and let that person know what a mess the leg band has made and the stress it has caused your bird. Perhaps it will help next time this person attaches a leg band to do a better job of it.

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Poor baby! When Presley needed to wear a collar, I made her one out of a toilet paper tube, paper towels, and medical tape. I cut the tube to size, wrapped it with some paper towel for padding, and then wrapped it in a layer of the tape and taped it together around her neck. It threw off her balance at first, but after about a half hour she got used to it and could stand up straight with it on. She was a really good girl about it.

IMG_3036.JPG

Pressie.png