• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Complications due to band- advice needed

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Make a cone out of cardboard. Big enough that he can't reach the edge to chew it. All you need is a circle cut with a hole in the middle. Cut up a slit so you can get it on him then tape it shut.
I'm just worried he'd find some way to destroy the cardboard if I tried something like that. For now, I'm going to keep using the cupcake things until one of the Canadian vendors I'm speaking to can sell me something I can use to make his life a little more bearable.

The avian vet's back on tuesday, I'll show her the vid then, but I'm starting to think this just might be him not wanting to stand? Now that there's millet he can reach, he's up on his feet!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm just worried he'd find some way to destroy the cardboard if I tried something like that. For now, I'm going to keep using the cupcake things until one of the Canadian vendors I'm speaking to can sell me something I can use to make his life a little more bearable.

The avian vet's back on tuesday, I'll show her the vid then, but I'm starting to think this just might be him not wanting to stand? Now that there's millet he can reach, he's up on his feet!

You can cover the cardboard with medical tape.

Garet

Real Name
Garet

I had to move him back into his regular cage because he was being too messy in the small one and I didn't want him to have nowhere to go. Also, he was able to grab onto the bars and tried to climb the cage. He's unable to with this one.

Attachments

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
My other suggestion food wise is to hang a Higgins treat stick or something similar so that he can reach it without bending over.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
My other suggestion food wise is to hang a Higgins treat stick or something similar so that he can reach it without bending over.
The birds love those, but it'll have to wait for my brother to get up. I don't want to leave him alone that long. Bro's good with watching him.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

My guy lives like this
20180321_090418.jpg

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Awe, poor sweet bab. ;; I really hope Geralt's mutilationis going to be a one-off thing. You guys with self-harming birds are absolute saints, I don't know if I could do what you do. It must be so stressfull.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
:sad4: He is sleeping in the corner of his cage that's closest to me. He usually never sleeps when anyone is this close to him. And he's sound asleep, too. Gosh, this lil guy is a doll.
Ahw sweet baby. I really hope he improves quickly, he seems such a sweet little soul:heart:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Ahw sweet baby. I really hope he improves quickly, he seems such a sweet little soul:heart:
Oh, trust me, he might not be the smartest member of our flock (He got stuck in a cardboard box with two 'doors' and an entire side open a few days ago), but he's absolutely a sweetheart.

Attachments

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
The dumb ones are always the cutest :roflmao:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I'm so sorry for laughing but the "Geralt yer a cupcake now" and his cupcake liner antics are too much :roflmao: He definitely looked good in the video though, hopefully he is adjusting!! Good for you for keeping such a watchful eye. I hope he can get a smaller collar soon. :heart:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I really hope he is adjusting. He went back to falling every now and then while my dad and brother were watching him.

This is getting hard on Triss, too. I took her into the bathroom with me just to give her some time out of her cage while I soaked, and she would not leave her nest. The only time she wants to leave it is when she's in the same room as Geralt and can watch him from across the room. I believe she may be sitting on two or three eggs now as well, but it was hard to tell.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Wowwwwww, apparently, I got him right around his birthday. I'm looking at the tag she gave me and he was born on March 4th, 2016. Poor lil guy. I thought he was closer to two and a half, but he just turned two.