• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swaz

Moving in
Juhi...I am sorry Mitthu is not feeling well....please make sure that they are not near any draft path...I heard the wonter is getting really cold there this year, make sure you have some sort of heating coil available without teflon. Most of our heaters there have teflon so make sure of that. Secondly Humidity is not a factor there....There is a wild bird sanctuary in Delhi they have some great people working for them but they take the birds they heal so you can if probably get somebody who know people from there they can probably help. You can also get in touch of Dr Shivani, I can't pm you here but I sent you a pm on Orkut. She is based in Mumbai but she offers telephonic consultations. Mitthu get well soon. :hug8:
What vet are you using in Delhi?

Juhi882

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
Juhi...I am sorry Mitthu is not feeling well....please make sure that they are not near any draft path...I heard the wonter is getting really cold there this year, make sure you have some sort of heating coil available without teflon. Most of our heaters there have teflon so make sure of that. Secondly Humidity is not a factor there....There is a wild bird sanctuary in Delhi they have some great people working for them but they take the birds they heal so you can if probably get somebody who know people from there they can probably help. You can also get in touch of Dr Shivani, I can't pm you here but I sent you a pm on Orkut. She is based in Mumbai but she offers telephonic consultations. Mitthu get well soon. :hug8:
What vet are you using in Delhi?
thnx swati

i'm in lucknow. i've just been in touch with our canine vet and he says dosen't have exp with birds

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Juhi hope Mitthu is no worse anyway, and will be showing signs of improvement soon. Have you been able to find a good Avian Vet that can help yet?

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
sometimes he seems to be fine and sometimes not...!
i mean today morning his nares were clear,no discharge, but in the after i found a very tiny bit of the area wet and even his poop sometimes is normal and sometimes is 'wet"...its like on and off.
other than that he's acting normal..
he made that sucking kind of noise again today and then was kind of like picking his nose..! dose that make sense i don't know how to put it in right words....
as far as baytril and clavamox i tried few pharmacy but couldn't find them, its night here so i'll call my canine vet in the morning and ask him if he can provide me with them....

oh and yes we have just ONE avian vet in our country and that's miles away . i'll try and get her contact no. and talk to her

i just hope whatever it is is not getting worse from inside..!

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
UPDATE......
I found an avian vet she's in another city so i called her up and told her abt all the symptoms and she thinks it could be 'sinusitis'(hope i spelled it right) so she suggested an antibiotic ENROFLOXACIN injection 10% to be diluted by the ratio of 1 ml to 10 ml of water and 1.5 ml of the solution to be given twice a day for 10 day......
she is such a nice lady, i bugged her with sooo many calls and every time she was soo sweet and nice...bless her

Last edited:

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
i'll start the meds from tomm. morning as its night time here..

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Good luck will be thinking of you and know they will kick in and probably help your little friend after just a few doses. Good luck ,:hug8:good luck.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Stop-Caution!

Hi, I agree the Baytril is a good choice to give your bird not knowing the exact root of his problems. I do not like to give my birds injections unless they will not take the medication any other way. From your post it looks like the vet gave you a vial of Baytril 10%. This means there is 100mg of Baytril in 1ml of liquid. When you dilute it 1:10 with water, each ml will have 10mg of Baytril, and 1.5ml will have 15mg of Baytril. The 15mg of Baytril is a heavy dosage for a 1000gram bird, way to much for your bird! Please give me the weight of your bird so you can get the dosage correct.

If your IRN weighs approx 115g the dosage should be .15ml of the solution described in your post.

I would try giving meds orally first before giving injections.

gary

Last edited:

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
Stop-Caution!
Hi, I agree the Baytril is a good choice to give your bird not knowing the exact root of his problems. I do not like to give my birds injections unless they will not take the medication any other way. From your post it looks like the vet gave you a vial of Baytril 10%. This means there is 100mg of Baytril in 1ml of liquid. When you dilute it 1:10 with water, each ml will have 10mg of Baytril, and 1.5ml will have 15mg of Baytril. The 15mg of Baytril is a heavy dosage for a 1000gram bird, way to much for your bird! Please give me the weight of your bird so you can get the dosage correct.

If your IRN weighs approx 115g the dosage should be .15ml of the solution described in your post.

I would try giving meds orally first before giving injections.

gary

oh i'm soo sorry i just forgot to mention i AM suppose to give this orally to my bird.....
and i'm not sure abt his weight as i don't have any means to weigh him... but he's an IRN so should be within 150 grms...he's a bit 'fat' when compared to my other IRN hence i'm guessing within 150
i am also planning on buying a nebuliser....

what should i do?? should i go ahead with 1.5 ml or less??

Picture 168.jpg

Picture 169.jpg

Last edited:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Take a picture of the syringe you are using and mark it to show where you are filling it. Please note that the correct dose is 1.5mg of Baytril for a 115g bird, or .15ml the way you have cut the10% solution to a 1% solution described in your previous post.

You should be using a 1ml syringe and filling it a little over 1/8 of the way up. The syringe should be marked.

gary

Last edited:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
You can buy a kitchen gram scale at department stores. People use them for weighing foods.
You do not need a bird scale.
If the bird is nervous to stand on it, I cover mine with a towel (exposing just the numbers), reset the scale with the towel on it, then weigh them.

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
i don't have a syringe right now that is why i was planning on starting the med tomm morning and its late here so won't be able to get one now. i'll get a syringe tomm morning and post a pic, and only then i'll start the med.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Since medication syringes are cheap, buy 10 of the 1ml size.

gary

Swaz

Moving in
Juhi, looks like you were able to contact Dr Shivani? If you need a scale, try looking in the postal scales. Another thing, try and buy the syringes from the human medical store....

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
i've beem trying to give mitthu med. for 2 days but everytime i manage to put the med inside his beak he shakes his head and splashes around all the meds.(you know what i mean?)

can i add the med to his food? or just soak a tiny piece of bread in the med and give him??

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, sorry you are having a hard time with the meds. A couple of questions, did you get some 1ml med syringes? How much medication are you giving at one time? Did you mix with water or fruit juice? Did the vet show you how to give meds by syringe?

You can mix in food or put on bread if your bird will eat it. If you put in food it is hard to monitor how much medication they are taking in.

gary

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
hi gary...
i couldn't find 1 ml syringe so i got couple of 2.5 ml syringes...and i'm giving him1/8 of the 1 ml marking as u suggested infact 1 am giving a tiny bit less then that just to be on the safer side. and i mixed the med with water...
the vet i contacted is long distance.
and then on top of it mitthu is scared of the syringe, if i try to hold him but the moment he sees the syringe in my hand he freaks out. i'm scared he'll hurt hmself this way
i have no experience in giving medicines as i never had any health issues with them before...
as te med is very small quantity i was thinking abt soaking a tiny piece of bread with it as he loves soaked bread and he's a pig...!!

Picture 230.jpg
is this much ok?

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
One of my birds had been frightened of a syringe with meds at first too.. to make it seem a little less scary, I fed myself some water with it and talked about how wonderful it was, in a very happy way.. I then used a different syringe for the bird (didn't want to get my saliva in there) and he was very interested in it since, to him, it turned into people food. :cool1:

Good luck I hope your little one is feeling better soon.

- Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.