• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juhi882

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
my mitthu (IRN) is making a wierd kind of noise,(like we do when our nasal passage is blocked) and also jerking his head as if trying to gett off something....
i think he has cold!!!
do birds get cold??
what should i do? couple of days back for few days every morning i used to notice tiny drops of water on his nares

its winters and we don't get enough sunlight at our place.
i'm really worried, though he's acting normal

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
i wouldn't know even if it was a sneeze!
i don't know how a bird's sneeze sounds like as i've never had any health issues with them so far this the first time i'm noticing something unusual

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
but something sure is bothering him.though right now he's calm and resting on his perch

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It sounds like some kind of respiratory infection to me. Especially when you mention nasal discharge and wheezing. Personally I would be heading to the vet as soon as possible.

They hide their illness very well and if it's noticable that to me means he is already sick.

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
this is what i was worried about. i don't have an avian vet around here :(
and haven't noticed the discharge for past couple days..

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
hun theres an old saying WHEN IN DOUGHT FIND OUT that means vet time look on line for a vet and in your yellow page phone book dont be suprised either some one here will post a vet near you
sending good vibes your way

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
sounds like a respiratory infection....you need to find some sort of vet..if no avian vet some other kinds of vets are bird friendly and know a lot.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
So what is happening? Is your bird any better yet? Hope you can get help for him and nip whatever is happening in the bud before it becomes serious. Good luck.

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
he seems to be fine now not making that noise anymore, playing and eating like a pig.:lol:
i'll wait till morning and if he makes that noise again i'll take him to our canine vet which is just 2 blocks away and see what he has to say.....
just hope he has some knowledge abt birds

thnx everyone :hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Do let us know how he is by tomorrow as I for one will be hoping all is well. :hug8:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
my mitthu (IRN) is making a wierd kind of noise,(like we do when our nasal passage is blocked) and also jerking his head as if trying to gett off something....
i think he has cold!!!
do birds get cold??
what should i do? couple of days back for few days every morning i used to notice tiny drops of water on his nares

its winters and we don't get enough sunlight at our place.
i'm really worried, though he's acting normal
Yes birds can get upper respritory infections...is your bird inside the house or outside and what are the temps where he is?
Does he spend more time fluffed than normal?
Here are some sites you might want to read:
Winged Wisdom Magazine. Signs of Illness in parrots and exotic birds
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - The Avian Respiratory System - Pet Birds
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Avian Respiratory Disorders Part I - Pet Birds
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Avian Respiratory Disorders Part II - Pet Birds
This site has a LOT of good information in it!
Winged Wisdom Magazine, Ezine - Pet Birds, Pet Parrots & Exotic Birds Magazine

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
thnx ann :hug8: this means a lot to me
i'll sure update u in the morning
so far he's doing good. he is the most active of my 2 babies. he just can't sit idle even for 5 mins and he is active as ever eating, playing, screaming, whistling, bullying chhotu and everything that he normally does. but still i'll keep a close eye on him
i don't want to take him to the canine vet. i've had a bad experience with my dog once but we took him to another vet and he was fine in the end but with my birds i don't wanna take any risks knowing that i won't have an avian vet in the end to look to.....

thnx billie those are some really imformative links. but mitthu dosen't have any other symotoms as yet he just made that noise in the morning and i haven't heard him do that again. i haven't found discharge for couple of days now and his poop which was a bit watery back when i noticed the fluid looks fine to me now. but as i said i'll still keep an eye on him.
and i see him fluffed up only when he is about to sleep otherwise he is pretty much normal and active
the temp. yesterday here was 27 max and 9 min and they are inside the house always

kristen
i don't have a humidifier.i'll go to the market tomm. first thing in the morning and see if i can find one

and i was just wondering could it be just water that he was trying to clear? because sometims he dunks his head in the water with his food...

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
Today morning i found his area around the nares wet...:(
his poop was rather watery....
the rest is fine his breathing is even and he's not making that noise again

i'm really worried now.
i called the vet i was talking abt and he said he dosen't have much knowlege abt birds but he'll try and help me.
i don't want to take any risks with that. what should i do..
there is this indian pet community i'm a member of and we have some big breeers of india there i posted my query there too and one of the best breeder suggested that i should use T MINIC( its a children's cough syrup) 4-5 drops in 50 ml of water..

i'm not sure
should i go ahead with it..??

it really sucks to live somewhere you can't even have proper care for ur babies...

Last edited:

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Juhi :hug8:I'm so sorry that you don't have access to a vet that knows birds. I wish your fid a quick recovery :)

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, I see you are in India. If your bird continues to have respiratory problems and draining from the nares you may need an antibiotic. Please talk this over with the vet you are going to see. If this were one of my birds , I would consider Baytril or Clavamox. If you get antibiotics from a non avian vet, please double check the dosage as we have seen problems before.

Hope you bird is doing better today.

gary

Last edited:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
How does his droppings look?

Is he molting now?

If molting is he fully covered at night? I have found that sometimes while molting and fully covered it can contribute to some respiratory symptons.

You can also listen to see where the sound is originating in his body.

You canine vet can probably have a culture done.

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
his dropping is scattered and watery (hope that makes sense) but not his every dropping its also normal sometimes...
no he's not molting but i do cover them at night but not fully
he's not making any sound now, not since yesterday morning when i first heard it....

Gary,

i talked to our canine vet this morning he said he dosen't have much knowledge and experience with birds....
i find his nares wet only in the mornings when i wake them up, rest of the day its fine...
he's an Indian ringneck
could you pls suggest the dosage for baytril or clavamox and how often should i give him?
will i find these meds at the normal pharmacy? are they meant for pets or humans?
any special diet for him?

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
A couple of things you might try. Fill your bathroom with steam and then put him on a perch or hold him in the steamy room for 15-20 minutes. For the watery poops I would try adding several drops of organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar to his drinking water, (Bragg is a good brand). I would only us antibiotics if holistic medications do not work or an emergency. The antibiotic Baytril and Clavamox are avian antibiotics.

Keep your bird warm 85-87 degrees and hydrated if you feel he is sick.

gary

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
One thought to add. If you live in India, it is my understanding that most of the country is pretty humid. If the humidity in your location stays around 40-50% humidity, then a humidifier is not needed and could actually be harmful. When the humidity is too high it is more beneficial for fungus, mold and bacterial growth.

Your baby probably does need to see a vet and it's too bad you don't have avian vets available. If your dog vet is a good vet he will do the research and contact other vets to help your bird. Good luck.

ML

Status
Not open for further replies.