1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Check out the craftsmanship

Discussion in 'Quaker Causeway' started by CrazyBirdChick, 2/24/17.

1. CrazyBirdChick

CrazyBirdChick Rollerblading along the road

Diane
    Nice work, JJ! Thanks for posting Sandra! Is he upset when you take down his projects? I'm nervous to take down Blu's but I'm going to have to at some point.

He is constructing every day. I go through coffee stirs like tp. I bet at the store people wonder why I buy so many bags.

Lately he's been adding some kind of upright wall to his ladder. He's very neat with his work.
    20170316_195434.jpg

2. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sandra
    You can also try plain popsicle sticks and drinking straws as well as shoelaces. They will try to weave with anything if they are in a weaving mood!

And no, we are not happy when a built up nest is taken down. I try to leave the nests up for as long as possible. Usually they get chewed up too so by the time I take them down they almost don't have a "floor".

jmfleish and CrazyBirdChick like this.
  3. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    There's nothing better than a talented builder. :D

jmfleish, greys4u, DQTimnehs and 3 others like this.
  4. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sandra
    :hammer: Takes one to know one, John ;). Seriously though, they do a really interesting job of weaving and, when it comes time to take "nest" down, those things are darn sturdy. And it keeps their beaks busy.

5. CrazyBirdChick

Diane
    I just wanted to update this with the progress so far. This is how it looks today...

20170517_215017.jpg
    Not quite as neat anymore but it's sturdy! :)

I think I've bought out the whole inventory of coffee stirs from every Jewel food store in my city. So I've started giving him regular drinking straws for the project too. At first he didn't like them but he's learned that they bend well and work nicely. :D

Bonus * The following picture was taken a while back. It's funny cause every once in a while he'll neatly place some stirs in his ladder like this...

20170416_203919.jpg

But for some reason he always takes them back down at the end of the day. I'm not sure why but they don't quite meet his standards :lol:

Eloy, jmfleish, DQTimnehs and 4 others like this.
  6. WendyN

WendyN Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month I Can't Stop Posting!

Wendy
    Pretty darn awesome!

jmfleish and CrazyBirdChick like this.
  7. zoo mom

zoo mom Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Elaine

Maybe he just considers the ladder a storage place for building materials.

8. schnitzle

schnitzle Walking the driveway

Leah
    This is so fascinating! I've always appreciated weaving, but avian weaving is even better!

Sarahmoluccan and CrazyBirdChick like this.
  9. CrazyBirdChick

Diane
    Could very well be! :)

10. jmfleish

jmfleish Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Premium Vendor Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Jen
    OMG! What a trip! Your little guy is a very busy little weaver! I'm totally fascinated by this. It's too bad that other birds don't do this. I've heard of a few 'toos tying cages together but this is amazing!

CrazyBirdChick likes this.
  11. nu2birds

nu2birds Walking the driveway

Kurt
    I had no idea Quakers were such industrious and accomplished home builders! Wow Sparky good job! Their weaving is amazing.

CrazyBirdChick likes this.
  12. CrazyBirdChick

Diane
    Blu would be so proud if he could read! I'm going to tell him what you all are saying about his skills. Thanks so much! :)

schnitzle and Eloy like this.
  13. cnyguy

cnyguy Jogging around the block Avenue Veteran

Gary
    Blu is quite a good builder. :) Ralph still likes to just arrange and rearrange his sticks, and after a while, he always squawks for me to pull them apart so he can start over. If I put more sticks in the bottom of his cage than he thinks he needs, he'll push some out onto the floor to get them out of his way. :D

Perriewinkle and CrazyBirdChick like this.
  14. CrazyBirdChick

Diane
    :lol:

15. zoo mom

zoo mom Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Elaine
    Ralph is obviously a minimalist.

cnyguy and CrazyBirdChick like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)