• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Check out the craftsmanship

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
This is Blu's new construction project.

Bottom view
20170224_112848.jpg

Top view
20170224_112917.jpg
20170224_112926.jpg

He's been working on it for a while.

He used to just place the straws under the java bottom and keep them there for a few minutes. Then he would go in the cage and go gather them back up to the top and do it over and over again.

He's finally figured up how to weave them in and now I guess it's good enough to where he's satisfied, and has left them alone. Now he's building some kind of wall or something. :)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I love that's busy and I think it's awesome to see what his creation will look like

But... my worry wart self can't help but wonder how long I should let it stay up for?

I worry that it may be hard to clean correctly up there.

I worry about if this could put him in hormonal overload?

I worry that he may be upset if and when I have to take it down.

He isn't really that territoral of his cage towards me anymore. So that's not really my worry. It's kind of funny actually. When I get real close to his "nest" sometimes he goes into like an excited state and starts this loud chirpy song kind of vocalization. Like-"Oh, you're close to the nest! This is the houuuse!" But he's not mean.

I just don't want his testes to enlarge from too much hormones. Is that possible?Like..is he preparing for babies that are never going to happen? Can building a nest be a bad thing?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
You do know that Quakers are the only parrots that weave their own nests in the wild or in captivity? Both sexes will do it with anything they can find that they can bend to weave with. If they have a timothy grass tunnel (open at both ends) like mine do, they will weave things at either end or even into their cages. In the wild each nest has 3 sections, an entryway, a first room and a back nest area. When they're in the wild they build their nests onto each other so that together they turn into one big condo of Quakers. Unfortunately that is what also causes the fires in transformers and field lights which is why their nests are taken down in some states.

The actual weaving is a good activity for your Quakers - it's keeping them busy and it is something that is part of their genes. I have 3 Quakers who are easily 3rd-4th generation "domesticated" and one who was rescued as a wild injured chick here in Chicago. They are all weavers in their own right.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I love that's busy and I think it's awesome to see what his creation will look like

But... my worry wart self can't help but wonder how long I should let it stay up for?

He isn't really that territoral of his cage towards me anymore. So that's not really my worry. It's kind of funny actually. When I get real close to his "nest" sometimes he goes into like an excited state and starts this loud chirpy song kind of vocalization. Like-"Oh, you're close to the nest! This is the houuuse!" But he's not mean.

I just don't want his testes to enlarge from too much hormones. Is that possible?Like..is he preparing for babies that are never going to happen? Can building a nest be a bad thing?
Tis mearly a state of mind my dear. Blu is being a happy healthy quaker.

IMG_3654.JPG

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
You do know that Quakers are the only parrots that weave their own nests in the wild or in captivity? Both sexes will do it with anything they can find that they can bend to weave with. If they have a timothy grass tunnel (open at both ends) like mine do, they will weave things at either end or even into their cages. In the wild each nest has 3 sections, an entryway, a first room and a back nest area. When they're in the wild they build their nests onto each other so that together they turn into one big condo of Quakers. Unfortunately that is what also causes the fires in transformers and field lights which is why their nests are taken down in some states.

The actual weaving is a good activity for your Quakers - it's keeping them busy and it is something that is part of their genes. I have 3 Quakers who are easily 3rd-4th generation "domesticated" and one who was rescued as a wild injured chick here in Chicago. They are all weavers in their own right.
Very cool! I knew that quakers are notorious weavers and that they build huge houses but I did not know there was a predetermined number of rooms and layout to the house. How interesting! Thanks for sharing!

I may look into the Timothy hay tunnels. I bought a sea grass mat for him a while ago but I'm always nervous he can get a nail caught in it. Maybe I will set it up on a weekend that I'll be able to supervise.

Tis mearly a state of mind my dear. Blu is being a happy healthy quaker.

View attachment 244485
:lol: Thank you!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Very cool! I knew that quakers are notorious weavers and that they build huge houses but I did not know there was a predetermined number of rooms and layout to the house. How interesting! Thanks for sharing!

I may look into the Timothy hay tunnels. I bought a sea grass mat for him a while ago but I'm always nervous he can get a nail caught in it. Maybe I will set it up on a weekend that I'll be able to supervise.

:lol: Thank you!
I wouldn't worry about a Quaker getting a nail caught on any kind of weaving - the little devils can chew themselves out of anything once they set their minds to it ... I'll take photos of the set ups for my Quakers so you can see it and give yourself some peace of mind.

I forgot to mention - apart from the fact that their nests have 3 spaces only certain family members are allowed in to different sections - like security almost.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra

If it helps at all, I have 2 girls Loofa and Daisy sharing a cage and a tunnel and they both weave and neither have laid eggs recently. The two boys are in separate cages and each have their own tunnel and each does his own weaving. And they don't necessarily weave into their tunnels, they are just as happy weaving into the cage side, ladders or platform perches and will use feathers, drinking straws or anything else including popsicle sticks. JJ & Baby have also stolen pens, pencils and my :blind: glasses:cantsee: :knockknock: to use for construction purposes. :bash::bash:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
That's so funny that they steal your stuff, Sandra! I would love to see their set ups sometime!

And so interesting that they only allow certain others in certain rooms. Maybe that's why Blu gets that excitable alarmy type of song chirp when I stand towards the back of his cage. It's so funny it's like he's allowing me (sort of) but also he's announcing something. There's definitely something different about when I move towards the back of his cage than when I'm in the front. :hehe:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I finally got some pictures of JJ's construction project. We cleaned cages and replaced old timothy grass habitats so JJ had to start all over again. I took these last night and I hope they come out okay.

IMAG0607 (640x447).jpg The front view with millet sprigs and dry leaves cut off an indoor grass plant

IMAG0601 (640x447).jpg
Dried/dead grass leaves

IMAG0604 (447x640).jpg Side view going towards the back

IMAG0606 (640x447).jpg
The back view of his construction while he was at work last night

IMAG0607 (640x447).jpg IMAG0608 (640x447).jpg IMAG0609 (640x447).jpg IMAG0610 (640x447).jpg

Watching me suspiciously as I took more photos ....

Attachments

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Yeah, JJ is a builder at heart and Baby Blue is trying but isn't nearly as successful. Loofa and Daisy will weave every now and then but not with the same enthusiasm. So I try to keep any used millet sprigs, or dried grass leaves from indoor plants for JJ and Baby to pick up and build with.

JJ's bad because he'll steal the tiels full millet sprigs and end up with not only a built nest but a fully stocked larder for himself too!

This is what one of the huts looks like before the weaving starts

IMAG0602 (640x447).jpg

Baby's working on his ...

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Very cool :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I have to admit that it is neat to watch JJ because I can give him sprigs and stuff and I'll tell him "stick" and he knows he can take it for his nest. Of course, it doesn't mean that he'll use the one I've offered, just that he knows there are "sticks" available for building. He's boosted pens, pencils and my glasses before now ...

Loose shoe laces are also a favourite ...