• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Check out the craftsmanship

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
AMAZING! They are like little construction workers! I knew they built elaborate nests in the wild but had no idea! I wonder if being in captivity and unable to perform their natural activity makes them bored and restless. I see my Quaker moving things around in her cage like she's trying to clean it. I would love to have materials for her to try and build a nest!

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
AMAZING! They are like little construction workers! I knew they built elaborate nests in the wild but had no idea! I wonder if being in captivity and unable to perform their natural activity makes them bored and restless. I see my Quaker moving things around in her cage like she's trying to clean it. I would love to have materials for her to try and build a nest!
You can give her some straws or (unused) coffee stirs or something just to see if there's any interest and if so then you can buy some bird safe weaving materials. I'd love to lnow what happens if you do! :)

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
You can give her some straws or (unused) coffee stirs or something just to see if there's any interest and if so then you can buy some bird safe weaving materials. I'd love to lnow what happens if you do! :)
I will try it! She loves bottle caps and will push them through the slots in her cage. She used to fit them into our vent covers in the floor and drop them then peek down and look at them or push them under the fridge and stove. I'm sure if we looked we would find them everywhere

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I will try it! She loves bottle caps and will push them through the slots in her cage. She used to fit them into our vent covers in the floor and drop them then peek down and look at them or push them under the fridge and stove. I'm sure if we looked we would find them everywhere
That's so cute! I can just imagine her peeking now! :)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
The nest was getting so big he was trying to connect it to the java tree

I took him into his travel cage and outside for some fresh air this morning. When we came back in the house I left him in his cage for a few minutes downstairs while I ran up and took it all down. He didn't even seem to notice. Lol! Back to square one again!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
So what do you guys think? I found some wooden cotton tip applicators and took shoe strings out of her toy shoes to see what she will do. So far she loves the shoe strings
I can't get over how beautiful she is! :xflove:

The only thing I'd worry about with the shoestrings is that I believe they can be a hazard if they wrap around her foot or her neck or something. I would only allow her to play with those when you're 100% watching. I think the rule with string is to keep it short. Like 1/2" or 1" or something.

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
I can't get over how beautiful she is! :xflove:

The only thing I'd worry about with the shoestrings is that I believe they can be a hazard if they wrap around her foot or her neck or something. I would only allow her to play with those when you're 100% watching. I think the rule with string is to keep it short. Like 1/2" or 1" or something.
Okay. Thank you! I worried a little about that to but she's doing fine. I will cut them in shorter pieces. What do you think about the cotton tip applicators? And thank you so much. She is a beautiful little girl. So bright green hence the name Skittles. She looks like a bright green Skittle lol

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Awww, Skittles is a perfect name! I think the cotton tip applicators need to be 100% monitored too. Just because some birds might eat the cotton tips. Most parrots spit out inedible objects but not always (there are a few threads on here about parrots dying or having surgery to remove stuff from their tummies) :wideyed:

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
Awww, Skittles is a perfect name! I think the cotton tip applicators need to be 100% monitored too. Just because some birds might eat the cotton tips. Most parrots spit out inedible objects but not always (there are a few threads on here about parrots dying or having surgery to remove stuff from their tummies) :wideyed:
I had NO idea! That's scary and why I'm on here. Thank you for the education! There's so much to learn and I appreciate the advice I get!