• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Chaz our hybrid Macaw is poorly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
So relieved to hear this latest news Ann. I hope John makes steady progress from now on and so very happy all the fids and furries behaved! :hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Fed Chaz his lunch from the syringe and then put him back into his cage. He was a bit fluffed up this morning so had his lamp on and that soon warmed him up. I left his cage door open to give him the option to come out if he wanted and for the first time since being poorly he clambered up to his two cardboard boxes that we had attached to the top of his girlfriends cage. He clambered inside and started making his usual coooing noisies!Nice to know we are getting back to normal in some things anyway. :D
Will leave him out for awhile and then feed him again and put him back into his cage before jay comes out and maybe have a fight with him!:)

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I'm glad things seem to be heading in the right direction! :hug8:

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
So glad things are looking up for all of you--may you have many more days like this.

:hug8::heart::hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Chaz has been in his box all afternoon and so full of himself it is laughable. He still has a lot of condition to put on and we are working on that with the formula feeds which he loves. Suppose it is going to take time and patience and that we have plenty of.
Expecting a call from Billa our vet as soon as she has the results from the last blood tests.
It is such a relief though to see him making progress, it is at the back of my mind though as to what caused it all and just hope it can be sorted.
He has always been on "fast forward" and nervy since coming to us so am thinking the change in his mannerisms now is down to the issues being addressed and Chaz having faith in us to do what we can for him. Hope it continues and he can start to enjoy his life again.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
All things take time Ann and seeing a big turn around for him is Great!....:hug8::heart:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Well worrying the yobs would be back I could not sleep until after 2.30am but had a good night besides. Will be on the phone most of the morning answering hospital calls and trying to sort out John's problems. Thinking Billa our vet would be a better bet! Chaz is doing so well under her care.
Yesterday had to catch him by throwing his towel over his head!He was on a mission to stay free and easy, what a change in a bird, thank goodness.
Once in his towel he reverts back to being all sunshine and light.
Been giving him his calsivec (probabaly spelt wrongly) straight into his crop with his formula. His two injections a day came to an end but need to know should he be having it more often than the normal twice a week like the others.Anything to save having to give him injections again.
Billa will be ringing through the blood results from his liver tests probably today so can ask her advice then.
It is a tonic seeing him back in his box during the daytime and cooing to me through the ,many holes he has made in it.
Thank you all for being there for us.:hug8:

BayuCah'ya

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emily
Ann, I've been away from the forum for a while and just now saw this thread, but I'm so glad to hear Chaz is doing better! You must be so relieved! :hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Billa has been extra busy helping other unfortunates today so expect we will hear tomorrow on the outcome of Chaz's last blood test.
He is back to his cheeky self but now has an air of confidence about him that was missing in the past.
Think he is truely only now beginning to feel well and we are only now seeing the true Chaz.
He is no longer on what I call "fast forward" he is letting me know exactly what he wants and when!
Until he has shown signs of putting on his old condition will continue to feed him the formula and hope it will aid his recovery quicker.:)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Billa our Vet has been on the phone and told me all the results are now back. Chaz's white cell count is now down into normal range from high.
Thinks he has had a low grade infection for a very long time and it suddenly took hold and made him this ill.
His liver function test is still not right but we pick up a drug tomorrow to add to his formula feeds to help him there.
I did right to put his calcium into his formula feeds and need to carry on but just the twice a week now as that is back within normal range.
This morning he grabbed the spoon in his formula mug and threw the food all over the place, so that is a different healthier Chaz! Did not mind clearing it up for him, had it been John doing it he could clean up for himself! Ah ah. :)
He has just had his first shower in awhile and enjoyed it all.
Still a way to go but we are going in the right direction and that is all that matters.:hug8:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
This is great news!!!!!!!!!
Did you vet say anything about giving him Milk Thistle for the liver????
WellVet.Com Dosage:
Birds:

• 10 seeds per 100 grams body weight added to the regular diet daily

If you can get milk thistle seeds you might try to find this: WellVet.Com

:hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Thanks for all your valuable help Billiefaye, I shall be looking into trying to buy some milk thistle as soon as I have had a word with Billa.
Today I am too pooped to think straight. Have just cut down three young saplings that had started to grow too close to our shed the Bolt hole as John has named it. (it is somewhere he can go to and get away from me for a rest!)
It is a job that has been on my "to do" list for sometime and now a weight off my mind.
Whilst I am still in my gardening clobber I am going to spray some weeds to make room for more to grow back!
Chaz guzzled down his lunch and is now in his box making his usual cooing noises through the holes he has made in it.:hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Just back home from our Vet's Billa and she has given me one tablet of Denamarin that is normally given to a medium size dog. I have to shave a little off this tablet into Chaz's formula daily to aid the recovery of his liver.He had todays dose with his lunch.
The change in his behaviour the past few days is just like seeing a flower open, he is gorgeous and nothing like we have ever known. Long may it continue.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:Thinking of you ann.

Status
Not open for further replies.