• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Casey's and Keno's Vet appt

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I'm sorry to hear this too! Was the excess urine a symptom of the klebsiella? I tried finding information too. I would be curious as to the cause as well. Get better quick Casey!!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, No! I'm sorry poor Baby! I didn't know what the infection was. When I looked it up it seems to have so many different types that some seem like a mild infection & some seem the worst types. Was the vet able to explain where they thought it may have come from?

I'd never heard of it until today w/ birds. Maybe I just haven't read enough posts yet... I had heard of them getting different types like staph. Just not called Klebsiella.

:bluhug:
Vet told me that it was not one of the worst Klebsiella infections. Casey has been wandering around on the bottom of the cage a lot (copying Shannon) and picking up toys and food that may have poop on them before I've had the chance to clean or toss things. I've never used a grate with him because he didn't used to do that but Shannon takes apart toys and then plays on the bottom of the cage with the parts of the toys and Casey started to copy her behavior. Shannon does have a grate, though. I am going to put the grate into Casey's cage.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Glad to hear it's not one of the worst! I don't keep grates in my cages either... except for Crimson Belly Casey... he would spend an entire night shredding his paper into pulp if he could get to it. Henry sometimes goes in his cage when I'm ready to change their papers and he'll grab his dirty paper and start tearing it up and shaking it all over the place. It's the one time I will do a semi fast approach saying " Yeah, I don't think so !!!!" Gimme that paper... I reach in an snatch it even if he's stepping on it.... then I go back to calm and tell him to go right ahead... have a shred fest.... I have more where that came from. At least he can't shred and fling poopy paper!!!! He does it to get my attention. I use a spritz water bottle to dampen paper before I pull it up to keep the floofies and dust from coming up and if he gets spritzed he makes a funny face and shuffles away to climb back up his bars. I make it like it's no big deal and say " Uh oh!... Sorry!" Lucky for me it doesn't make him mad because it's never used as punishment... he actually loves a spray bath but usually on top of his cage.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are generally respiratory symptoms with K. pneumoniae so I don't know. I have to look back at his paperwork but I think that is what grew on the culture. There were no indicators of kidney or liver issues on his blood work results.
I am going to feed and change Casey's water/food and paper last. I've generally been wearing a mask when I change papers/clean but I haven't been doing that lately so will start doing that again.
I do have grates for a few of my birds because they go down to the bottom and rip the paper up. Casey has never done that. I don't know why I keep a grate in Keno's cage. She pulls up the paper through the grate bars any way and rips it all up.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
There are generally respiratory symptoms with K. pneumoniae so I don't know. I have to look back at his paperwork but I think that is what grew on the culture. There were no indicators of kidney or liver issues on his blood work results.
I am going to feed and change Casey's water/food and paper last. I've generally been wearing a mask when I change papers/clean but I haven't been doing that lately so will start doing that again.
I do have grates for a few of my birds because they go down to the bottom and rip the paper up. Casey has never done that. I don't know why I keep a grate in Keno's cage. She pulls up the paper through the grate bars any way and rips it all up.

Aaarg! Paper shredders! I wish I could put paper in the top tray on Henry and Lola's cage where they hang out but no can do... so I have the lovely task of wiping poo up standing on my tippy toes to wipe the tray. I often tell them I wish I was a couple inches taller....

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Casey came out and I went to get him, he put his foot up to step up and then he lunged (not normal for him during the evening). I know he is not happy with going to the vet and now getting the medication. I caught him with a towel but didn't have him toweled right so put him down and then he started running around the floor. Finally caught him and was able to give him the medication.

My Dusky Conure and Senegal both have grates but they are also able to pull the paper up between the bars of the grates. Don't know why I bother with grates for them but at least they have to work at it so they don't shred the paper immediately.

Wonder what else you could put on the top of the cage besides paper. Plexiglass is probably too slippery.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Casey came out and I went to get him, he put his foot up to step up and then he lunged (not normal for him during the evening). I know he is not happy with going to the vet and now getting the medication. I caught him with a towel but didn't have him toweled right so put him down and then he started running around the floor. Finally caught him and was able to give him the medication.

My Dusky Conure and Senegal both have grates but they are also able to pull the paper up between the bars of the grates. Don't know why I bother with grates for them but at least they have to work at it so they don't shred the paper immediately.

Wonder what else you could put on the top of the cage besides paper. Plexiglass is probably too slippery.
Paper would be ideal because you just roll it up and put fresh down. Plexiglass would still have to have poop wiped off of it and besides.... knowing Henry he would probably freak out about it. I trimmed a couple inches off of a newspaper yesterday and was going to put it in the trash but instead, set it on top of his tray near his little wood crap pile thinking he'd love to shred it. Nope! He won't go near it. Silly bird.

I wonder if you would be able to put something on top of the rail that holds the grate to raise it up a bit higher to keep them from reaching the paper? Or hang some paper strips to give a little paper shredding happiness. I need to order some skewers to do this for the smaller birds.. I have one and did it for Ruby and she likes to shred the folded paper I skewered.

I don't envy you having to give meds to Casey. That would be the end of my good relationship with Henry if I had to do that. Lola gets meloxicam every evening and I have a little pile of cooked apple I place in the center of her evening cup of cooked goods. She eats the apple first. Once in a blue moon it gets pushed to the side. I would try the same with Henry if he needed it but with a medicine you have to make sure they receive giving oral and knowing they get it is important.

Are we nuts or what.. oye!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is there any chance that any of your other flock can get it? As a contagion for lack of a better term from Casey now that it's in side?

(((IamwhoIam))) Personal special huggy's to you. :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Rain Bow I asked about that and vet said things should be OK. Casey is not sneezing and the other birds don't play in or on his cage so no one is near his poop, his food or his water.
Thanks for the hugs. He will be retested a week after I am done administering the antibiotics. Only 5 more days to go.

@Mockinbirdiva I can tell Casey is mad at me but, hopefully, he will get over this. Don't know about raising the grate. I know I can't do that in Jake's cage. I think I would have to move it up somewhat high for Keno. She likes to reach between the grate bars with her foot and pull up the paper. She's a Goffin's and she will always figure out a way to get what she wants. My other 'too, Cody, likes to move her paper around and even puts it in her food dish but her cage did not come with a grate and if I put a grate inside she would freak out. With Jaden I just have to make sure that the paper towels I put on his cage tray are very flat and then he can't usually get to them but he has sometimes surprised me and somehow pulled them up and shredded them.

Yes we are nuts.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@Rain Bow I asked about that and vet said things should be OK. Casey is not sneezing and the other birds don't play in or on his cage so no one is near his poop, his food or his water.
Thanks for the hugs. He will be retested a week after I am done administering the antibiotics. Only 5 more days to go.

@Mockinbirdiva I can tell Casey is mad at me but, hopefully, he will get over this. Don't know about raising the grate. I know I can't do that in Jake's cage. I think I would have to move it up somewhat high for Keno. She likes to reach between the grate bars with her foot and pull up the paper. She's a Goffin's and she will always figure out a way to get what she wants. My other 'too, Cody, likes to move her paper around and even puts it in her food dish but her cage did not come with a grate and if I put a grate inside she would freak out. With Jaden I just have to make sure that the paper towels I put on his cage tray are very flat and then he can't usually get to them but he has sometimes surprised me and somehow pulled them up and shredded them.

Yes we are nuts.
Only five more days......:fortune: I predict you'll be very happy to be done!

I've always thought some birds can be very forgiving. I hope he doesn't stay mad at you for too long. I've watched videos of Goffin's figuring things out and making tools to get what they want. They are quite impressive! And terribly cute little "Toos". Love the pinky-salmon color next the their beak.

The past two weeks little Ruby has been climbing down my pants leg and hanging out while I wipe the floor at night. She flies to me when I open her door and I get busy first wiping the floor down with a damp paper towel. She usually stays on my back while I'm bent over and climbing back up to my shoulder when I stand up. For some reason she is intrigued by my pants and shoes. She can get pretty pinchy with little annoying pinches in an effort to make me stop, stand up and stand still so she can get some cuddles, give me kisses and lick the tip of my nose. I do need to give those toe nails a little trim because it feels like a tiny kitten with sharp claws climbing up and down my leg. Yep.... nothing abnormal about this.... a day in the life of birds.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Only five more days......:fortune: I predict you'll be very happy to be done!

I've always thought some birds can be very forgiving. I hope he doesn't stay mad at you for too long. I've watched videos of Goffin's figuring things out and making tools to get what they want. They are quite impressive! And terribly cute little "Toos". Love the pinky-salmon color next the their beak.

The past two weeks little Ruby has been climbing down my pants leg and hanging out while I wipe the floor at night. She flies to me when I open her door and I get busy first wiping the floor down with a damp paper towel. She usually stays on my back while I'm bent over and climbing back up to my shoulder when I stand up. For some reason she is intrigued by my pants and shoes. She can get pretty pinchy with little annoying pinches in an effort to make me stop, stand up and stand still so she can get some cuddles, give me kisses and lick the tip of my nose. I do need to give those toe nails a little trim because it feels like a tiny kitten with sharp claws climbing up and down my leg. Yep.... nothing abnormal about this.... a day in the life of birds.

I still medicate Lucy and Scully once daily. They get allopurinol for elevated uric acid levels. Lucy is easy but Scully is a brat. I call him a devil in feathers. They get medicated in the AM and I try to get to Scully first but he tries to get out of taking the medication by doing one or more of the following: grabbing onto the cage door so I can't open it, climbing on the cage bars and gripping onto them tightly, hanging onto a hanging toy very tightly, hanging upside down from the top of the cage, or going down to the bottom of the cage and lying on his back. Any of these make it difficult to towel him and get him out of the cage. Once a catch him he will grab onto the towel with his beak so I can't get the syringe inside his mouth. It's really a waste of his time doing this "stuff" because I always get the medication into him in the end.

Ruby sounds very sweet. She wants to help you clean. The only bird I would allow on my shoulder would be Sophie. Do your Conures and Amazons ever directly interact with one another? Casey never goes after any of my other birds but I don't trust Shannon. She has a history of bugging other birds.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

I still medicate Lucy and Scully once daily. They get allopurinol for elevated uric acid levels. Lucy is easy but Scully is a brat. I call him a devil in feathers. They get medicated in the AM and I try to get to Scully first but he tries to get out of taking the medication by doing one or more of the following: grabbing onto the cage door so I can't open it, climbing on the cage bars and gripping onto them tightly, hanging onto a hanging toy very tightly, hanging upside down from the top of the cage, or going down to the bottom of the cage and lying on his back. Any of these make it difficult to towel him and get him out of the cage. Once a catch him he will grab onto the towel with his beak so I can't get the syringe inside his mouth. It's really a waste of his time doing this "stuff" because I always get the medication into him in the end.

Ruby sounds very sweet. She wants to help you clean. The only bird I would allow on my shoulder would be Sophie. Do your Conures and Amazons ever directly interact with one another? Casey never goes after any of my other birds but I don't trust Shannon. She has a history of bugging other birds.

Oh my... starting off the day with meds to an evasive stinker! I think I'd have to suck down a cup of coffee first. What a character Scully is!!

The zons are not allowed to interact with the smaller birds... nothing good would happen with that. Astro would fly away but crimsons just don't back down from a fight... even with each other and they can be brutal because none will give up. Ruby would be any body's dream bird. She's extremely attentive, so much so it's quite comical. When she first lands on my shoulder she leans out as far as she can in front of my face as if to say " Hey, you see me? You see me? You see me now?" She gives me kissy sounds while she licks my nose tip and she also tries to touch my lips so I have to move my face to talk to her otherwise she's going to be too nosey about my mouth.. I don't allow that. She wiggles, and wiggles as hard as she can to squirm in tight to my neck. I do think she can be a little neurotic/ spastic until she settles down after she's been out a few minutes. She is very sweet... but she'll pinch you in a heart beat when you touch her food. Her sister ( my avatar) is even more so and nasty about it when I give her fresh veggies every evening. I'll point at her and make her back off to clip her vegetables or she will bite. Weirdos...

Rocket is allowed on my shoulder too but his all time favorite place... is on my hand held up to my face with my nose buried in his back. He gets so relaxed, does this short little wing slap of contentment and closes his eyes. He's in heaven with happiness when I do this for him. When I'm changing his and Astro's papers he'll fly to my shoulder, climb down to my hand and stay on while I'm trying to unfold paper. He wants to be in his favorite spot! Here's an older photo of me doing this for him... I've grown my hair out now.

Photo on 9-9-17 at 1.33 AM #3.jpeg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Scully is just a brat but an adorable one. He gave me a few raspberries after I finally got the medication into him yesterday. Today I told him, Your getting your medication now. I have to be somewhere and I'm not playing your games." He started doing his usual not going to take the medication behavior but I grabbed him quickly before he could try all of his "tricks".

Ruby sounds super sweet. Sophie is similar. She is very loving and doesn't bite. She loves attentions and is a great conversationalist. Are all of your crimson-bellied conures siblings? Their red vests are beautiful.

That's a cute photo of you and Rocket.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Confirmed that Casey does have a Klebsiella pneumoniae infection. Called vet to ask about that because I always thought the symptoms were respiratory but was told that it can affect different bodily systems/organs. Knock on wood that he is not acting sick. The only symptom I noticed was the polyuria. A few more hours until I have to give him his medication. Looking forward to that. :roflmao: ;)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh no! Poor Casey. :(

Do you have any photos of the droppings that raised this alarm bell?

My birds eat a lot of fresh produce so have wetter droppings. I haven't seen any changes but a photo might help ease my mind :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no! Poor Casey. :(

Do you have any photos of the droppings that raised this alarm bell?

My birds eat a lot of fresh produce so have wetter droppings. I haven't seen any changes but a photo might help ease my mind :)

What happens when you decrease the amount of fresh produce? As you already know droppings can be more watery when the bird has eaten foods that have high liquid content. Are the droppings any wetter than normal? Casey's definitely changed. I will try to take a photo later.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
What happens when you decrease the amount of fresh produce? As you already know droppings can be more watery when the bird has eaten foods that have high liquid content. Are the droppings any wetter than normal? Casey's definitely changed. I will try to take a photo later.
The only change I see is when they eat dragon fruit and their droppings are brightly coloured. Also sometimes when Neptune finishes his quinoa he has a little bit of cloudiness in the wetter portion of his dropping. I have always considered this to be part of the diet since is seems to be a regular every day thing. Though after I am googling polyuria I am like.. hummm... and my worry is stepping in.

Will each and every poop look odd when they have an infection?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The only change I see is when they eat dragon fruit and their droppings are brightly coloured. Also sometimes when Neptune finishes his quinoa he has a little bit of cloudiness in the wetter portion of his dropping. I have always considered this to be part of the diet since is seems to be a regular every day thing. Though after I am googling polyuria I am like.. hummm... and my worry is stepping in.

Will each and every poop look odd when they have an infection?

Different infections/diseases will cause different types of symptoms and sometimes there can be infections that are asymptomatic. In fact sometimes you might think that polyuria is a symptom of some infection/disease only to find out that it is due to diet or it is idiopathic (sometimes refers to no specific cause).

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Scully is just a brat but an adorable one. He gave me a few raspberries after I finally got the medication into him yesterday. Today I told him, Your getting your medication now. I have to be somewhere and I'm not playing your games." He started doing his usual not going to take the medication behavior but I grabbed him quickly before he could try all of his "tricks".

Ruby sounds super sweet. Sophie is similar. She is very loving and doesn't bite. She loves attentions and is a great conversationalist. Are all of your crimson-bellied conures siblings? Their red vests are beautiful.

That's a cute photo of you and Rocket.
Only Ruby and Scarlette are siblings. They hatched in the same clutch along with two others that were both males. I had decided to keep Ruby only and Scarlette never had the perfect home to go to so I gave up on her listings. Their tail feathers are so blood red they are brownish. Flight feathers are a deep navy.

Thanks!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@iamwhoiam .
Oh poor thing! I'm glad that the others in your flock are safe. Your story has me changing Buddy's grate paper more often now. He loves to shred it, I know it's a nesting behavior & if he gets ornery I will have to but the floor grates all sorts of messed up & I'm not sure if it can be replaced. I'm not even sure what kind of cage it is. I also pull out the drawer so he doesn't poop off his front addition al perch, he lands on when he flys (another reason it needs paper on the grate).

Anyway. He only rips where there's no poop, how he knows is probably 20+ yrs of just knowing his nest. I don't usually worry about it if theres a little dried spot or 2. Now I'm pulling it up & pitching, since I'm always right next to him his 2 times a eve/night he does this.

Now more paranoid than ever!

@Mockinbirdiva .
I love how bright & royal the red is too, but My fav. feathers are that dusting of blue that has an almost teal appearance w/ the green!

I agree med's & toweling always seems to go better when parront has s dose or 2 of that morning stimulant! :lol: