• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Casey's and Keno's Vet appt

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@Rain Bow
I love everything about the crimson bellies. They can be very noisy.... especially in a collective group. When I bought my first pair I had fallen in love with them but thought about them for six months before actually buying them. They were VERY expensive back in 2006... when those two were still there I figured they were meant for me! But in the meantime, I looked up breeders throughout the U.S. to talk about them as a species... I truly did my homework!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Medicating Casey did not go well last night. He spit out most of the medication. I didn't offer him another dose because I wasn't sure how much he swallowed. I tried to do it without toweling him and that was a failure so tonight he will be toweled again.

@Rain Bow Don't be paranoid. I know it's not easy because I get paranoid, too. Now I keep checking everyone's droppings over and over again. I still haven't put Casey's grate into the cage. He's never had a grate and I want to make sure I am home most of the day to monitor how he does with it.

@Mockinbirdiva The colors are stunning. Do your conures share any cages or are they all caged separately?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Medicating Casey did not go well last night. He spit out most of the medication. I didn't offer him another dose because I wasn't sure how much he swallowed. I tried to do it without toweling him and that was a failure so tonight he will be toweled again.

@Mockinbirdiva The colors are stunning. Do your conures share any cages or are they all caged separately?
Gosh... I'm sorry it didn't go well with the medicine. I'm not sure what I would've done in that case. I would probably add an extra night on medicating him to cover the needed medicine but sure wouldn't have wanted to over medicate in one evening. You did the right thing.

None of my conures share cages. There would be too much fighting among the crimsons. Both of the girls really like Casey but I've seen both pull feathers from him when they get to sit out with him in the evening... so much so I don't allow Ruby to sit with him any more unless I stand right there to watch. I have her pretty much trained to stay on me because it's a busy night every night changing papers. I do let Scarlette and Casey visit but have to keep an ear and eye on them to prevent mating. They love preening each others butts. They can get in some pretty serious squabbles too.... they have to be monitored. Rocket is in another room with Astro. He would fight any of the other crimsons as well as Bob.. BCC. He gets a long with Astro... invades her cage every evening and she just avoids him. Neither one will touch each other yet they hang out in, on and around her cage for a few hours. I wouldn't trust leaving him locked in a cage with her. He would probably be forward and intimidate her if that were the scenario. It's a shame there couldn't be a community room but I know my boys and girls.... they would go after each other and Astro would just watch and pretend to be a wall flower.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@iamwhoiam I agree w/ @Mockinbirdiva I'd probably add another night on as long as I has enough medicine left. I even checked w/ the vet when Buddy had antibiotics, they said yep, go ahead & medicate extra day or 2. I was still learning to towel & scared to death of that can opener under his eyes. :hehe:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Another fun evening medicating Casey. I tempted him with a treat and he was on his way out but then backed off so I got the towel. Then he decided to come out of the cage, went down to the floor and started running around hiding underneath things. He ran under his cage and hung upside down on the shelf. I couldn't get to him so I used a long perch which he stepped up on, I pulled him out, quickly toweled him and finally medicated him. I was concerned about his stress level but when I put him back in the cage he went over to his food dish and started eating. I was definitely more stressed out than him. At least he got the full dosage tonight.

@Mockinbirdiva My red-bellies used to share cages but I wound up having to separate everyone. I really wish they could go back to being with their siblings but it's safer this way. The boys, though, are OK when they are out together but the girls just chase each other and try to fight. Even though the boys are OK outside of their cages I still need to supervise. How many rooms are your birds in?

@Rain Bow I'm sort of surprised how difficult Casey is being. I think tomorrow I'll open the cage and let him come out early. I'll see if he will stay on a stand and then medicate him there or towel him from there. If he climbs to the top of the cage it will be hard to get him down but he likes almonds so I can tempt him with those.

@Eloy Thanks. I feel bad for Casey. He really hates this.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I understand that. It's sad when you have no choice but can't make them understand that. I hope the next time goes better. :bighug:
At least he doesn't stay mad at me. I was able to give him a few scratches shortly after medicating him.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@iamwhoiam .

When I towel Buddy, I pick him up & act like we're gonna sit on the couch & hang out. I know your stressed, but you want to go slow. I also know those antibiotics are timing sensitive. Start a half hour earlier one day & maybe 10 minutes late the next. Try to have fun, whistle a song move them to your leg & *wosh* over the shoulder wing part. (Like a cape)

Also, I use kitchen towels. It may help you to not use a bath towel. Too much towel not enough birdy. I'd use a babys receiving blanket if I didn't have a kitchen towel.

Sorry to end randomly but that stress you feel Casey senses. The less stress you go in w/ the better.

Plus, remember... Your doing a Great job. Med's are going down the hole. ;) 1 bad night is just 1 bad night. Don't stress on the small stuff my friend . :D

:hug6:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Rain Bow Thanks. The problem with the kitchen towel is that it's on the small side and I need to really cover him and have something that I can double over a bit in case he tries to bite through the towel when I don't have him wrapped right. Casey is very strong, too, so if he grips onto the cage bars it's difficult to get him to release and if he is not wrapped just right it's easy for him to get out of the towel. He is also very fast. Yesterday I did give him the medication 30 mins. later than the day before because I wanted to finish feeding all of the birds first. Tonight I'll try to make it a game and also try to remember to bring some extra special treats for him. He used to not having any issues stepping up on towels.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no! Poor Casey. :(

Do you have any photos of the droppings that raised this alarm bell?

My birds eat a lot of fresh produce so have wetter droppings. I haven't seen any changes but a photo might help ease my mind :)

Keep forgetting to take a photo but if you do an online search you will see lots of photos of polyuria in birds. If you are feeding a lot of watery fruits and vegetables you will see more liquid in the droppings.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Keep forgetting to take a photo but if you do an online search you will see lots of photos of polyuria in birds. If you are feeding a lot of watery fruits and vegetables you will see more liquid in the droppings.
Thank you for thinking of us :) Yeah I think googling the images when I first read your post was what made me worried. Normally all my flock's waste goes along with what they are eating so I never thought it was out of the ordinary. The googled images were worrisome. However.. my birds waste is still matching up when what they are eating.

My past birds were more pellet, green veg sorta of birds. My Plumhead is a more fruit, blossom and veg oriented bird. So I was just worrying for worry sake it seems. Eating fresh pear or dragon fruit will make some fairly distinct fruit species poops.
I do keep a bird health journal for my flock and I photograph their daily meals as a sort of food journal.

It is easy to get worried about our little ones. Thank you again for thinking of us :hug8:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@Mockinbirdiva My red-bellies used to share cages but I wound up having to separate everyone. I really wish they could go back to being with their siblings but it's safer this way. The boys, though, are OK when they are out together but the girls just chase each other and try to fight. Even though the boys are OK outside of their cages I still need to supervise. How many rooms are your birds in?
If my three male conures were out together on separate cages they would fly to each other and it would be war. Ruby, as sweet as she is to me, would shred her sister and tries to get to her on occasion. They can really be nasty to one another! My birds are in four different rooms. It would be nice to have all the conures in one room but I'd never be able to let them all out at one time and even if only a couple were out, they are flighted and would go to other birds to pick a fight.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Rain Bow Thanks. The problem with the kitchen towel is that it's on the small side and I need to really cover him and have something that I can double over a bit in case he tries to bite through the towel when I don't have him wrapped right. Casey is very strong, too, so if he grips onto the cage bars it's difficult to get him to release and if he is not wrapped just right it's easy for him to get out of the towel. He is also very fast. Yesterday I did give him the medication 30 mins. later than the day before because I wanted to finish feeding all of the birds first. Tonight I'll try to make it a game and also try to remember to bring some extra special treats for him. He used to not having any issues stepping up on towels.

I'm sorry I was really tired last night & today, I started thinking of you & Casey & :banghead:

I realized that Casey's so much bigger than Buddy that the kitchen towel may not work. Did it go any better tonight?

You're gonna get this down to a :marlenesmile:science & it will be time to stop! Same thing happened to me.

:bighug:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If my three male conures were out together on separate cages they would fly to each other and it would be war. Ruby, as sweet as she is to me, would shred her sister and tries to get to her on occasion. They can really be nasty to one another! My birds are in four different rooms. It would be nice to have all the conures in one room but I'd never be able to let them all out at one time and even if only a couple were out, they are flighted and would go to other birds to pick a fight.
My birds are all over the house, too. Too bad that the conures don't get along. Some of my birds don't go over to other birds' cages to fight but to play with their toys through the bars or just check them out but then the caged bird isn't happy about that and the fighting starts. My male red-bellies will sit on a stand together and just hang out.

I'm sorry I was really tired last night & today, I started thinking of you & Casey & :banghead:

I realized that Casey's so much bigger than Buddy that the kitchen towel may not work. Did it go any better tonight?

You're gonna get this down to a :marlenesmile:science & it will be time to stop! Same thing happened to me.

:bighug:

Casey is probably larger than Buddy but I think only slightly. Tried a different tactic this evening and it failed. Opened the cage and tempted Casey with cashews. He came over and took one but when I offered one outside of the cage he wouldn't come out. Put my arm in and he started to step up and then jumped off and went to the back of the cage. I kept trying with the cashew but no go. I know he wanted it but he wouldn't come out or step up in order to get it. After about 15-20 mins. I gave up, got him to go down to the bottom of the cage and toweled him. He likes to come out and he will step up but now is being very hesitant because of the medication. Now he thinks that each time he comes out he is going to be medicated. Doesn't even want to come out earlier in the day.
Are Mexican Red Headed Amazons calmer and more chilled out than BFAs?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
My birds are all over the house, too. Too bad that the conures don't get along. Some of my birds don't go over to other birds' cages to fight but to play with their toys through the bars or just check them out but then the caged bird isn't happy about that and the fighting starts. My male red-bellies will sit on a stand together and just hang out.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Didn't do that quote right.... ah well..

It would be nice to have them consolidated to one area. It's been a very long time but when the two crimson ladies were younger ( this April they will be 10 years old... my how time flies!) I would leave Ruby out of her cage for some freedom time. At that time Scarlette was listed. Ruby flew over to Scarlette's flight cage and managed to pluck ALL the feathers off of Scarlette's entire face. Now tell me, how could that happen when Scarlette is in the safety of her cage? It couldn't have felt good.. did she think Ruby was preening her? I was pissed. Scarlette went off the market for a while for her feathers to grow back. Months later she was looking good and I took drastic measures on Ruby so she could have some out time.. unsupervised ... and clipped her flights. Ruby... little Miss Ruby.. has the strongest will. She managed to get from her flight to Scarlettes cage and plucked her entire face bald again through the bars. Off the market again... So, to this day, Ruby cannot be out unless I'm in the room. I did let her flights grow back out. She is the strongest flyer of my whole group. When her wings were clipped she could get up to Scarlettes cage from the floor.... that's how strong she is in strength and will. She's one of my favorite stinkers!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Didn't do that quote right.... ah well..

It would be nice to have them consolidated to one area. It's been a very long time but when the two crimson ladies were younger ( this April they will be 10 years old... my how time flies!) I would leave Ruby out of her cage for some freedom time. At that time Scarlette was listed. Ruby flew over to Scarlette's flight cage and managed to pluck ALL the feathers off of Scarlette's entire face. Now tell me, how could that happen when Scarlette is in the safety of her cage? It couldn't have felt good.. did she think Ruby was preening her? I was pissed. Scarlette went off the market for a while for her feathers to grow back. Months later she was looking good and I took drastic measures on Ruby so she could have some out time.. unsupervised ... and clipped her flights. Ruby... little Miss Ruby.. has the strongest will. She managed to get from her flight to Scarlettes cage and plucked her entire face bald again through the bars. Off the market again... So, to this day, Ruby cannot be out unless I'm in the room. I did let her flights grow back out. She is the strongest flyer of my whole group. When her wings were clipped she could get up to Scarlettes cage from the floor.... that's how strong she is in strength and will. She's one of my favorite stinkers!

Shame on Ruby and poor Scarlette. Keno, G2, has bitten birds' feet through cage bars and hurt them. Last time she got out when I was not home I found her on top of her cage and checked every bird for wounds. Casey's cere was bleeding. Very surprised because she likes Casey but I think that he was probably ignoring her and she didn't like that. She likes him to preen her but she doesn't leave and becomes a pest. I've heard Casey growl at her and I don't blame him. The red-bellied boys generally wander off so I have to keep a close eye on them. When they have gotten out on their own I've sometimes had to search for them. They are more interested in exploring rather than bugging other birds. I've found them on lamp shades, in boxes, under a desk, behind vertical blinds, etc. Shannon will go after other birds so she is never out unsupervised.

It's too bad that Ruby does that. Would be nice if they could just hang out together. I would think that Scarlette is allowing that since she would have to turn different ways so that Ruby would have access to all of the facial feathers.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

Shame on Ruby and poor Scarlette. Keno, G2, has bitten birds' feet through cage bars and hurt them. Last time she got out when I was not home I found her on top of her cage and checked every bird for wounds. Casey's cere was bleeding. Very surprised because she likes Casey but I think that he was probably ignoring her and she didn't like that. She likes him to preen her but she doesn't leave and becomes a pest. I've heard Casey growl at her and I don't blame him. The red-bellied boys generally wander off so I have to keep a close eye on them. When they have gotten out on their own I've sometimes had to search for them. They are more interested in exploring rather than bugging other birds. I've found them on lamp shades, in boxes, under a desk, behind vertical blinds, etc. Shannon will go after other birds so she is never out unsupervised.

It's too bad that Ruby does that. Would be nice if they could just hang out together. I would think that Scarlette is allowing that since she would have to turn different ways so that Ruby would have access to all of the facial feathers.
It was a tough one to figure out how Scarlette would let Ruby do that. And from behind the bars of a flight cage! I wish now that I had taken photos. Poor Scarlette looked like she had a disease. It's a shame she never found her permanent person but she is quite fond of Casey. She puts the moves on him every day. I think I can count my lucky stars she's never laid any eggs. They don't have a chance to mate with me there though. I try to remember to remove the food bowl in Scarlettes cage before I allow Casey over there. It's always the source of a fight. She wants to share eating when he's hogging her food and it can get ugly.... feather ripping ugly. Seconds later after I intervene they are back to cuddling and preening again. I would never trust keeping those two together in a cage.

Good gosh... I can imagine having to hunt for missing birds. My Bob has gone missing a couple of times. They don't always make a peep when you call their name either. His cage is in my bedroom and I forgot to close the door one day when I went out to check the mail. Come back in and my dogs are going to a kitchen cabinet with great interest. Somehow.. he got spooked, flew into the kitchen, dogs went after him and he found a small hole under the bottom facing of the cabinet and crawled in. Lucky for him that hole was there. It's not easy for me to get on the floor with my leg but that's what I had to do to figure out where he was. He wasn't coming out either and there was no way to reach in to get him. After an hour of trying to coax him out he spooked again and came out of that hole like a bullet and flew back to his cage. I never walk outside without closing that door anymore because Bob's door is never locked unless I go to work on a weekend and can't trust hubby to make sure that door is closed. The other time he had wedged himself behind laundry baskets. It took a while to find him there too. He wasn't making any sound but I could faintly hear a strange sound... it was his feathers russeling in that tight spot. I've put him in the bird room with the crimsons in a flight cage but it changes his personality and he wants to bite instead of stepping up. I bring him out to the kitchen area in the evenings but in a smaller cage so he can have his social time safely and I give him the same cooked goodies Henry and Lola get... he loves it and really digs in.

I don't think people really know what a job it is to keep up with a few birds!!! ( unless you have a few like us!)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Scarlette is where she belongs, in a loving and caring home. She was meant to stay with you. It's good that she gets along with Casey.

Smart of Bob to hide in the cabinet and then also smart to fly back to his cage when it was safe. I wish they would respond to us when they are hiding somewhere and we call their names. One day I came home and heard a loud whistle that sounded almost as if one of the birds was downstairs. This had to have been before I had any birds downstairs. I don't see anyone wandering around downstairs so start to go upstairs and there is SETI at the top of the stairs, Roswell following close behind but no Zack. Found him in the bedroom on top of a lamp shade. I guess I didn't close their cage correctly and the 3 of them decided to come out and explore. At least I found them quickly. When Scully and Mulder got out I couldn't find them anywhere. I looked over and under things and then repeated that and finally found Scully underneath a desk perched on a wood slat. Still no Mulder, though. I looked in the other rooms, called out to him and nothing. Then I remembered there was an empty box in the bird room and I looked inside of that and there he was. Good thing is with both of these incidences no one was injured. When Lucy got out she got bitten by another bird and wound up with a broken toe where the tip became necrotic and fell off.

I'm just looking forward to being done with medicating Casey. Tonight did not go well and I tried to be patient but finally got frustrated and almost gave up. Finally got him to step up on the towel and come out of the cage but he wouldn't take the medication and when I tried to wrap him in the towel he jumped off. Got him to step up again, put him on the floor and then wrapped him although he escaped twice. He went under the television stand and when I went to get him I pulled out the antenna wire from back of TV (no cable TV here and that TV has no wifi capability). Need to re-strip the flat lead again so I can reconnect. Finally got the medication into him. I was very stressed and "rattled" but he went back into his cage and started eating. I did remove his swing from the cage because it's easier to get him with that out of the way. Dogs crying and barking in the background because they were waiting to be fed.

Last edited: