• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can Good Breeders Be Found at Bird Fairs?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I have been to a bird fair and a breeder each person/ breeder is unique and has different reasons for what they do it for there are both good and bad reasons for the love of birds is what we are all for I breed at a loss for the love of color mutations in zebra finches ar a loss as I sold at 2.50 a bird I no longer breed and would display show off my birds not for sale to educate people on the finches I no longer have any but there is both bad and good at a bird fair:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The answer is yes, you can find good breeders, and bad. I don't see all the birds at the show as frightened and crammed in small cages. I see some people who set up elaborate play areas. The birds are eating, playing, and relaxed. I also see people who obviously don't know proper care, or nutrition. You can look at the birds themselves and see which look healthy, are in clean well kept cages, with appropriate toys and food.
I don't think all people should feel guilted into going to a rescue only for a bird, because there are so many in rescues. While I agree there are many who are in desperate need of homes, not all people are experienced enough to handle it. Particularly people new to keeping birds.

robin's my baby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
some breeders are great others not so much...the breeder i got jessy from had 2 babies per cage and they had toys, food, water, and 2 desent perches. she was well socailised and aboundced weened and he saw how much we bonded so i got her for half the normal price. and he had a gigantic boultin board of the 3 avarys he keped he keeped his 6 pairs in and his pairs were treated well

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
It seems (to me) that part of the disconnect here is whether or not a person believes it's possible to be a good breeder and take their birds to fairs (where they're potentially susceptible to disease). Would that statement be at least partially true? I guess to some the risk is worth it, and from what I'm gathering, breeder's birds don't often get sick as a direct result of bringing their birds to fairs, or else I'd imagine they would not continue to frequent them (and we'd be aware of a greater number of horror stories).
Obviously there's other parts to the argument, but if that were not part of the equation, how opinions might differ?

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Generally, you won't find truly quality breeders at a bird fair.

A good breeder would never put it's babies, and the rest of their birds, <breeding stock/pets> at risk for disease, which are very present at bird fairs.

Not to mention, with so many of these smaller birds flooding CL/Kijiji/Hoobly/Rescues .. etc. for rehome, it makes me sick to my stomach that there are breeders still breeding so many of them.
Yes, I agree with this. I do not even care if the person tries to educate on the fly about the birds--there's only so much that a little talking can do in a world that sees angels as objects. Once the person walks away with the bird, there's no telling what will happen to it. I applaud those breeders who breed few, place them well, and specialize in rarer breeds whose numbers need to be increased.

I don't care what the breeders' issues are; all I care about is the birds. There are too many, especially of small common species. Too many are suffering horribly in the rehome cycle on seed diets, in cramped, filthy cages--there don't need to be any more, and there certainly don't need to be any more in a mass environment where disease can be spread. If this sounds harsh, I'm sorry for the harshness. But I'm not sorry for being honest.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Good points!:hug8:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
booths at a bird show are reserved months in advance and you do not know then you will have babies or not if you are a no show they will not ask you the next year from behind the scenes :hug8:

*K*J*B*

Real Name
Kylee
It's all a matter of opinion and you know what they say about opinions....

Just because a breeder sells at a fair does not make them a bad breeder.

Just because a breeder sells at a fair does not make them a good breeder.

Do your research and make an informed decision. IMO, buying from a store is no different than buying from a fair, but again, that is only an opinion.

That's the grand thing about an opinion. No one has to be right or wrong. There is no winner or loser.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Not everyone who goes to a bird fair is clueless about birds. I did my research before purchasing Jasper. I had planned on finding a breeder and having a bird shipped to me since I couldnt find any breeders in my area. I happened to go to the local bird fair to pick up food and one of the breeders that frequents the bird fair and that I had talked to on numerous occasions had baby hahns macaws. I never knew she bred them as she usually only had African Greys. I was very happy that I went that day :)

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
It seems (to me) that part of the disconnect here is whether or not a person believes it's possible to be a good breeder and take their birds to fairs (where they're potentially susceptible to disease). Would that statement be at least partially true? I guess to some the risk is worth it, and from what I'm gathering, breeder's birds don't often get sick as a direct result of bringing their birds to fairs, or else I'd imagine they would not continue to frequent them (and we'd be aware of a greater number of horror stories).
Obviously there's other parts to the argument, but if that were not part of the equation, how opinions might differ?
Let's leave "good breeder" vs. "bad breeder" out of the equation for a moment.

Given what we know about how easy it is to spread the killer birdie diseases, and how little is known about them, the fact that there are no cures for them .. perhaps the question is:

"Does a RESPONSIBLE breeder bring birds to sell at a bird fair?"

I still say NO. Be "good" or "bad", whatever semantic you want to label, I just don't think a responsible breeder chooses to use bird fairs as a legitimate selling venue.

I'm just speaking to the disease factor now .. not any other issue. I do not believe a responsible breeder would risk exposing their babies, and the rest of their flock.

I will also say that for every 1 caring, educated, not in it just for the money breeder you find a bird show, there are 10 that are the complete opposite, and see their birds as nothing more than dollar signs with wings.

Perhaps I am jaded .. I'm in the Midwest, and do attend quite a few fairs <I work several booths to help out on occasion>, and in this area .. the nasty backyard breeders run rampant. Dirty looking people with dirty looking cages and sad little birds .. that "type" is what dominates most of the fairs that I've attended in the WI/IL/IN/MO areas. Dozens and dozens of keets, tiels, quakers, etc. crammed into small cages .. so many of them .. all over bred .. all looking for homes .. breeders making deals just to get rid of them. :(

JMHO

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I have one been to two bird fairs. The first time I went I bought a bird there. I couldn't find a Rosy Bourke anywhere. The breeder I did fine was not willing to sell them as pets. I went to buy toys and she was there so I got her. She was hand fed and not kept in a cage with a bunch of other babies, so I felt comfortable with. A few months later I realized that I had a HUGE infestation of red mites with that bird and the bird in the cage right by her. It was AWFUL. The other bird who had them had come from a private home and I had stayed in contact with the people. None of their birds had them, so I am sure they came from Willow who came from the fair. I was able to get everyone treated but it was a horrible experience. I don't even go to them.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Dozens and dozens of keets, tiels, quakers, etc. crammed into small cages .. so many of them .. all over bred .. all looking for homes .. breeders making deals just to get rid of them.
Thats a pretty sad picture you just painted. I wouldnt go to a bird fair. Before I knew as much as I know now, I would have but seeing something like what you described would break my heart. :(

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Maybe it isn't even a question of whether or not the breeders that go to bird fairs are good or bad or responsible or not responsible. They exist for a reason. What it comes down to is us, the buyers. If we didn't exist to buy their birds, they wouldn't do it.

Do I think that a person is uneducated and irresponsible for buying any bird at a bird fair? Absolutely! As it has been said over and over and over again, there are serious diseases that are easily passed from one bird to another and are far greater in the smaller species of birds because they are more heavily bred and in higher numbers. All we can do here is educate but I honestly and truly think that you are asking for trouble at some point if you buy birds from bird fairs, ANY bird fair.

Think about PDD, a disease that can sit dormant for decades before it shows any symptoms and is essentially a death sentence and cannot be tested for in a live bird. Think again that how a bird dies from this disease is by starving to death. How about babies with Polyoma or PBFD or Psittacosis? I don't know about anyone else but it isn't even about bird fairs, it's about closed aviaries...truly closed aviaries. Someone who takes their birds to bird fairs is not a closed aviary and will never get my business.

Last edited:

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
Erika ..
I think if there were vaccinations for birds, that protected them from the deadly birdie diseases, it would be different.
I don't believe it would be different. At Dog and Cat shows, dogs/cats that are not entered in the show are not supposed to be on the grounds. Thus, there *shouldn't* be any puppies under 6 months of age at a Dog show. However, there are always a few, that sneak under the wire and bring them along anyway.

I have never been to a bird show in my life. However, when I worked for my Vet, we always knew when the bird show had been at the fairgrounds. We got an influx of sick, dying and dead birds.... most of which had been recently purchased at the bird show.

I know of 1 what I would consider *reputable/ethical* breeder that attends bird shows to sell toys. The toys she takes to/from the bird shows are kept in a completely separate building and the vehicle she uses to travel to the shows vs. travel to the vet, etc. is a separate vehicle. She takes no birds to the shows. IMO reputable and ethical breeders do not take birds to bird shows, and I always advise against purchasing birds from these shows.

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
I really appreciate this discussion, heated though it may be, I feel like I'm learning something here. there's a lot to be said about people's opinions and thoughts, and I respect each of them. Besides, its helping me to form my own opinion. I don't really think an opinion is valuable until you're able to learn both sides from those that are there and on each side. :hug8:

Brentt

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brentt Highfill
I believe that some Peoples comments are a little harsh you attend a bird show for the best deals that means when you get home change your clothes sanitize or maybe even take a shower. Then sanitize what you purchased and go on. If you continuously dwell on the bad you might as well live in a bubble. Have you guys ever thought about where your toys come from you never know where they come from. You can make them yourself but do you honestly know where the material comes from, I doubt it. There are good shows and bad shows when I say that I mean the people that sell things you can tell how they are from talking to them if they don't know alot about the bird just say no thank you and walk away. Then you'll come up to the right person and you don't even have to ask and they'll make sure you fit the bird not the bird fits you. Just make wise decisions and go about it the right way don't always be negative you hope for the best but plan for the worst. If you buy a bird quarantine it and change clothes and sanitize before you touch your other birds.

*K*J*B*

Real Name
Kylee
I believe that some Peoples comments are a little harsh you attend a bird show for the best deals that means when you get home change your clothes sanitize or maybe even take a shower. Then sanitize what you purchased and go on. If you continuously dwell on the bad you might as well live in a bubble. Have you guys ever thought about where your toys come from you never know where they come from. You can make them yourself but do you honestly know where the material comes from, I doubt it. There are good shows and bad shows when I say that I mean the people that sell things you can tell how they are from talking to them if they don't know alot about the bird just say no thank you and walk away. Then you'll come up to the right person and you don't even have to ask and they'll make sure you fit the bird not the bird fits you. Just make wise decisions and go about it the right way don't always be negative you hope for the best but plan for the worst. If you buy a bird quarantine it and change clothes and sanitize before you touch your other birds.
Finally a rational thought process!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I don't know how you can sanitize a bird like a toy. Some diseases can't be tested for so it doesn't matter if you quarantine. The discussion is about "good" breeders. Anyone who know's anything about breeders will tell you that they are far and few inbetween. For the majority their main concern is the bottom line and they don't care about the baby. Why do you think there are so many birds in rescues and shelters? Because the breeders pray on unsuspecting customers who don't have a clue about what it takes to keep a bird, how expensive it is, what happens when they grow up to be adults and the hormones kick in, proper nutrition, housing requirements and on and on. When I got Truely at 5 months they told her first caretakers that she was weaned. She wasn't and after a month of constant crying they put her on Kijii. She weighed 218 grams when I got her and she was starving. Not anyone's fault but the greedy breeder who kicked her out so he could sell another one in her place. This is the norm not the exception.

Ginger

HungryBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlie
Generally, you won't find truly quality breeders at a bird fair.

A good breeder would never put it's babies, and the rest of their birds, <breeding stock/pets> at risk for disease, which are very present at bird fairs.

Not to mention, with so many of these smaller birds flooding CL/Kijiji/Hoobly/Rescues .. etc. for rehome, it makes me sick to my stomach that there are breeders still breeding so many of them.

Yes, I agree with this. I do not even care if the person tries to educate on the fly about the birds--there's only so much that a little talking can do in a world that sees angels as objects. Once the person walks away with the bird, there's no telling what will happen to it. I applaud those breeders who breed few, place them well, and specialize in rarer breeds whose numbers need to be increased.

I don't care what the breeders' issues are; all I care about is the birds. There are too many, especially of small common species. Too many are suffering horribly in the rehome cycle on seed diets, in cramped, filthy cages--there don't need to be any more, and there certainly don't need to be any more in a mass environment where disease can be spread. If this sounds harsh, I'm sorry for the harshness. But I'm not sorry for being honest.

I agree with these guys.