• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can Good Breeders Be Found at Bird Fairs?

NikkiCat

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
jmfleish: That's a great idea! I'll go visit a nearby rescue. It is too bad all of them are an hour away from me. I would love to volunteer, but the one closest to me wants the volunteers to be there everyday.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I also am not anti-breeder at all but I do have issues with bad breeders and I think we can all agree that there are plenty of them around. I hate to say it but anyone who is willing to take their babies to a bird fair to sell them is not looking out for what is best for the bird, in my opinion. That person can be an amazing breeder but you cannot guarantee that other breeders that show up to the fairs are just as competent or caring. It's all the other birds at the fair that I freak out about.

As far as the story about the bird who died of PDD seven months after going to the vet, it is true that you take chances when going to the vet as well but I think that chance is more warranted. And if you know anything at all about PDD, you know that there have been many instances of single birds not being sick a day in their lives and succumbing to PDD later in life. It's a disease that we do not understand and can live in the body for decades without ever showing any signs. It's a hideous disease with unknown origins in many cases.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I bought my Sunshine Senegal at my local bird club's last bird fair. I wouldn't have done business with that particular private breeder because they were located pretty far away from my home area, but I really lucked out to get a chick from this breeder because of the fair. Sunny picked me, she jumped on me every time I got close to her, and in handling her so many times, I realized she was a very well socialized bird. I knew I was getting a quality raised bird when I watched the breeder trim Sunny's wings and toe nails without resort to a towel or any other type of restraint. The little one just allowed her to pick up each toe and trim them and to extend each wing and cut the feathers. Definitely quality handling and birdie education. The breeder encouraged me to have the bird checked for disease as soon as possible and to notify her if there was a positive test. I did this and Sunny tested positive to psitticosis and I had to put her through the injection protocol at my vet. The breeder was distressed and sent me her previous test results, all negative, and then reimbursed me for part of the cost of treating Sunny. A most unusual thing, I understand, for a breeder. Sunny has never tested positive again, but that is no real guarantee of her health due to the nature of psitticosis. I would recommend her breeder to anyone who wants a quality bird.

This is not, however, true of the commercially sponsored bird fairs I have attended since. These meetings have a very wide range of sellers at them, some of them obviously not really caring about the birds they are selling and at one of them I even found out a breeder was selling birds he knew were sick because he just simply had the opportunity to 'get rid of them'. I had bought a bird during that show from a friend and known breeder and it was that breeder that told me about this other breeder. She did report the guy to the people running the show and they forced him to remove his birds from further sale. I have sworn off going to or buying anything not sealed in packaging from bird fairs. It is unfortunate, but the only way to protect yourself and your birds from people only looking for profit.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow,this is a very imformative thread. I learned a lot,thank you all for that.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
jmfleish: That's a great idea! I'll go visit a nearby rescue. It is too bad all of them are an hour away from me. I would love to volunteer, but the one closest to me wants the volunteers to be there everyday.
I noticed that you are in Chicago, there is Rich Weiner's place...I can't remember the name of it, A Rescue for Wildlife maybe. I can't imagine any rescue turning down any kind of volunteers regardless of how often they can show up. Also, most places have visiting hours and you can just visit, you don't have to volunteer.

Also, join your local bird club, TASC, the president, Jason Crean, owns and breeds Aracaris.

Kolkri

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
I have never had any problems getting a bird, toys or cages from a bird fair. But I only go to the local one the bird club does that I am a member of.

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
I agree with Merlie. Truly reputable and ethical breeders do not frequent bird fairs. I have been involved with birds for nearly 40 years, bred them for more than 25 years, and I have NEVER been to a bird fair. Just is not worth the risk IMO.

NikkiCat

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
jmfleish: That is exactly the rescue I was looking at to visit! I'll be sure to ask their visiting hours and ask them in person if I can occasionally volunteer.
I have been emailing Jason and talking to him. When I'm ready I plan on getting my Aracari from him! But I don't know why I didn't think to join TASC.
:headsmack: Duh, Nicole!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
jmfleish: That is exactly the rescue I was looking at to visit! I'll be sure to ask their visiting hours and ask them in person if I can occasionally volunteer.
I have been emailing Jason and talking to him. When I'm ready I plan on getting my Aracari from him! But I don't know why I didn't think to join TASC.
:headsmack: Duh, Nicole!
Jason is a really great guy. He's really good friends with my Ekkie breeder. He's also incredibly talented and involved in all sorts of stuff. TASC is a really wonderful organization. Take Rich Weiner with a grain of salt and go there to get to know birds...stay away from the politics of rescue or it will make you cry! Good luck and keep us updated.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This was a very interesting thread to read. Thanks guys. :)

Sapphire Moon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I think that bird fairs are a lot like job fairs. I would like to see the breeder at the fair check references and interview just like the employers do. No one would hire someone without knowing their back ground and experience. I do not feel birds should be sold to just anybody who wants one. I know that the breeder would loose money if they do not sell birds to those who buy on impluse, but birds are a living feeling being and so many are abused or neglected by those who just have to have it right now.
I know a breeder who does not check references. He sells these birds and many times he hears that the bird has been rehomed because the person "did not have the time the bird deserves", or "my husband hates the noise". They all have some excuse and should not have taken this bird home at all.
This is just how I feel, but I do not make my living breeding ans selling birds, maybe I would see it different if I did.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
First time seeing this, I definitely think there can be both. When I was at TASC I saw a breeder that was going over bird care with a buyer, and not just a little bit, they were going SUPER in depth and really working with the buyer in a way that was pretty impressive and far more than I expected for someone wanting to make a sale. I've also heard of breeders that have gone and will be prepared with pamphlets and refuse sales quit readily to people they don't approve of even if it means taking the bird back home, which again, I really do approve of. The disease thing does freak me out, but I'm also the first to admit that it's a risk with any new bird, but a lot more chancy at a bird fair given the fact that bird might have been at quite a few fairs and its parents, etc.

I also went to a fair last weekend and was near a breeder table that made me so :mad: They had unweaned babies and were selling them, I watched them sell a baby grey and demonstrate to the buyer how to feed, they did it quick, told them to temp, didn't mention anything about hot spots etc, and then stuffed the baby in an open lid carrier and handed it over pretty much saying it's easy to do, they'll pick it up soon enough. No mention of how to wean, or warnings about aspiration or anything else that are very important. The parents pusehd the baby into their toddlers stroller with the lid off and just kept cruising the bird fair.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
First time seeing this, I definitely think there can be both. When I was at TASC I saw a breeder that was going over bird care with a buyer, and not just a little bit, they were going SUPER in depth and really working with the buyer in a way that was pretty impressive and far more than I expected for someone wanting to make a sale. I've also heard of breeders that have gone and will be prepared with pamphlets and refuse sales quit readily to people they don't approve of even if it means taking the bird back home, which again, I really do approve of. The disease thing does freak me out, but I'm also the first to admit that it's a risk with any new bird, but a lot more chancy at a bird fair given the fact that bird might have been at quite a few fairs and its parents, etc.

I also went to a fair last weekend and was near a breeder table that made me so :mad: They had unweaned babies and were selling them, I watched them sell a baby grey and demonstrate to the buyer how to feed, they did it quick, told them to temp, didn't mention anything about hot spots etc, and then stuffed the baby in an open lid carrier and handed it over pretty much saying it's easy to do, they'll pick it up soon enough. No mention of how to wean, or warnings about aspiration or anything else that are very important. The parents pusehd the baby into their toddlers stroller with the lid off and just kept cruising the bird fair.
Just thought of an idea. When you go to these fairs/venues, perhaps also consider referring buyer people to the avian avenue forum too?

Last edited:

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
This is an interesting topic and one that I guess must be judged on the individual fair, I normally only visit the Australian parrot society fair as a visitor and have found it to be a great fair with reputable breeders there, their is also a vet that checks every sellers birds and won't allow them to be displayed if they aren't in good health. The caging is also kept at a high standard.
I probably wouldn't buy at a show unless I already knew the breeder but it would be a good way to get contacts then arrange to see the bird privately to see how the bird is being raised and housed prior to sale. The best breeder I have known trades at this show so I can definitely say you can find wonderful breeders at these fairs but you have to be careful and 'shop around'.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Kirsten, I hope you said something!

I'd be all over that like a drunk in a bar after Miss America!

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Yep, you surely can not "teach" a person on hand feeding a baby bird in a 10 minute cession. So much more into it so those type of breeders are a dime a dozen and there are a lot of them out there doing just that to people who basically do not know squat about parrot keeping let along hand feeding and weaning practices.

I've been to the Pomona Everybody's Bird Mart and it to me is a sad, sad thing as you do see many babies there being sold or just shown, some breeders do take babies there to catch a committed sale but don't let the buyer take it until weaned but those types are more rare than the ones who will turn any bird over when you had them cash.

It's true, babies are very vulnerable and should not be taken to a place like fairs/marts to be exposed. That's asking for trouble for the baby birds sake. I've never sold any of my birds there at all, I just could never take them to such an active hands on place. I've seen some very sad situations there that make me cringe and I won't go to them any longer because of the live birds being put into difficult situations.

animallover

Jogging around the block
There are some good breeders at bird fairs and then some not so good ones. The best thing to do is look at the birds and ask lots of questions. I would prefer to buy a bird from a private breeder that I can meet and go see the birds, the parents, and the house in general and see how they are raised. It's a touchy situation at bird shows. Good luck!