• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie Taming

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You did not answer @Zara question about how much time you interact with them.
The cages in the photos do not allow enough room for a bird to live, play, eat and sleep.
What is their diet like?

Birbo

Meeting neighbors
I spend roughly an hour a day with them. their diet isn't great they refuse anything other than their normal seed blend

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
also the door closes i just leave it open for them
I know that, but at night the door needs closing securely. I have one cage with that type of door and I don´t trust it. Same with guillotine doors.

I spend roughly an hour a day with them.
What do you do in this hour? It is not a lot of time. The birds have each other all the time, you are just a visitor.

their diet isn't great they refuse anything other than their normal seed blend
Healthy birds are usually happier birds.
Have you tried sprouting? It is a good way to transition a bird that will only eat seeds. Here is a great link: Some general info on sprouting .. thought it might be helpful | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
What vegetables have you tried?
How about boiled egg (smashed)? Brown rice? Wholegrain pasta?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Not good to just eat seed. They will get liver disease if you don't try to feed them better. There are many ways to get Budgie s interested in green and yellow/orange veggies. You can also sprout seeds and make birdie bread with lots of good food like pumpkin and sweet potato. They need those vitamins.

Birbo

Meeting neighbors
i don't know what sprouting is, i will try the stuff you sugested just so we are clear here a normal chicken egg would work right? i usually talk to them and try to pet them as they don't have an issue with me touching thier chest sometimes they let me touch their wings but not often i used to sit with my psp/3ds before they were afraid of it and they would watch while i talked to them i do interact with them throughout the day as well it's just that i sit with them for that longer period

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
i don't know what sprouting is,
Click the link I posted ;) It is basically germinating the seeds.

make birdie bread with lots of good food like pumpkin and sweet potato.
This is a good idea, there are recipes in the Feathered Food Court | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

just so we are clear here a normal chicken egg would work right?
Yes. like make a hard boiled egg as if you were going to eat it, then mash it and put it in a bowl for the birds. Eat a little with them if you like eggs (on a seperate plate, saliva is bad for birds)

I think it is important to know what you would like from the relationships with these birds. Just remember not all birds are cuddly snuggly birds. I have one snuggler out of 6.

Birbo

Meeting neighbors
should i try to feed them the egg by hand or just mix it into their food

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Feed the egg scrambled or hard boiled mashed in a shallow dish with millet seed sprinkled on top, but not too much seed.