• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie Taming

Birbo

Meeting neighbors
So i have two budgies currently i have had them both for a little over a year now but i'm still having issues with them regarding training one is pretty much fine other than him getting scared a flying back home but the other one is the exact opposite if i try to get him to step onto my hand he bites if i try to pet him he bites not to mention he will climb away from me on the bars of his cage ( He learned this while his wings were clipped ) and he will fly away from me for anything. I have tried everything with him and i don't know what to do anymore if any of you have any tips please help

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the forum,

How much time do you spend with your birds and what is their cage set up? Do they get out of cage time?
-It is important you spend a few hours with your birds a day, and that they have a large cage with toys and foraging activities inside. They also need out of cage time to really fly and exercise. If you have a very large cage, it is ok if they don´t get out some days of the week, but if your cage is smaller they ned to be let out most days.

You may want to take a break RE stepping up and petting. When the bird is scared, forcing these things upon him will result in a biting response.

From what you are saying, both of your birds are scared of you. One is repsonding with fight, the other with flight.
Spend some time just sitting near the cage, talk to the birds, offer some treats through the bars. When the birds are out of the cage, keep treats close by and reward them if they come over to ¨explore¨ you. Offering treats in these situations is postive reinforcement, they will associate you with good things and over time will not be scared of you as you are the ATM of good things.
Forget step-up and petting for now until the birds are comfortable around you.

Good luck :)

Birbo

Meeting neighbors
Both of my birds are free to roam around the room anytime i keep the door to there cage open as they do not cause issues when flying. I have also been trying what you've said for a couple of months with not a lot of improvement mymore timid one has gotten used to being around me but if he sees a door he sees it as a sign to go home as i trained him to go home on sight of the door so that is my fault. my more aggressive one is the one i'm conserned about as for three nights in a row i got woken up in the middle of the night because they were fighting and started flying around the room to get away from each other

Birbo

Meeting neighbors
they also have severial toys and i move them around usually every couple of months

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
for three nights in a row i got woken up in the middle of the night because they were fighting and started flying around the room to get away from each other
Those birds need caged separately at night. I know it´s not ideal, but their safety should come first.

if he sees a door he sees it as a sign to go home as i trained him to go home on sight of the door so that is my fault.
What is this?

Have they aproached you? How much time do you spend in the room with them?

Birbo

Meeting neighbors
i keep them seperated at night but they practicaly break through the bars to get to each other. Also we live in the same room so they are practically around me 24/7. The best i've goten aproaching wise is they will call for me but that is mainly for more food and nothing else

Birbo

Meeting neighbors
i got them when they were adults if that helps

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
i keep them seperated at night but they practicaly break through the bars to get to each other.
If you put them in two seperate cages with a gap... they can´t get to each other.
For eg. I house Adelie next to her parents. The hens hate each other, but they are safe. There is about 8cm between cages. You may want to make the distance greater as your birds have longer tails.
123ç.jpg

i got them when they were adults if that helps
It will usually take longer to build a relationship with an older bird as opposed to a baby. The hen on the right in the picture above came to me 2 years ago and we are still working on our relationship.

Remember some birds don´t like being petted/stroked and that won´t ever change.

What is your goal? What do you want from the relationships with your birds?

Birbo

Meeting neighbors
The main thing i want is for them to get used to more stuff i guess they kinda have mood swings where they will be fine with one thing one day and then the next day they are terrifyied. For example they used to be fasinated by screens like tv screens and handheld screens but now they hate them. And i've tried to socialize them with other people but for the most part i am the one they trust the most. Also they have a bad habit of not liking being seperated which is why i have problems keeping them in seperate cages and why i am trying to tame the aggressive one . For example i seperated them once and the timid one actually forced himself between the bars of his cage and it's not like there big gaps in the bars to get to the other one.

Birbo

Meeting neighbors
also they only fight at night so i let them out with each other during the day

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
one actually forced himself between the bars of his cage and it's not like there big gaps in the bars
There are big gaps if they can only get a head through. Bar gap should be no more than half an inch (12mm). It's not just about them escaping, more about them injuring themselves or even suffocating. I've been watching this thread and just felt the need to step in on this point.
Can you post some photos of your cage setup?

Birbo

Meeting neighbors
no he got like half of his whole body through he has never done this since as this was when he lived in the bigger cage i have since moved him to the smaller cage which has smaller gaps that he can't get through

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
the timid one actually forced himself between the bars of his cage
Sounds like you need a new cage.

i am the one they trust the most
It isn´t uncommon that birds prefer just one person.
All of my birds like both me and my boyfriend but when a friend comes over, only 2 birds will land on him. The others avoid him like the plague, even though they see their friend, partner and dad sitting on the person, they will not go.
It doesn´t bother me. I only care that they have good relationships with me and my man, the two that live here with the birds.

The main thing i want is for them to get used to more stuff i guess they kinda have mood swings where they will be fine with one thing one day and then the next day they are terrifyied.
Budgies are known to be quite skittish.

Can you post some photos of your cage setup?
Please do.
Birds will fight if the cage is too small, even the true bonded birds will squabble.
Do you know if the birds are male or female? If not, do you have a picture of the birds?
Ripshod has experience with various rescued budgies :)

Birbo

Meeting neighbors
hold on i have to get my phone to take a picture and then send it to my pc

Birbo

Meeting neighbors
the big one is where the aggressive one lives and the timid one lives in the smaller one but they like to be together during the day

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I can´t get my head around the first picture. Hard to figure out the bar spacing, the spacing on the door looks huge but I don´t know if that is just the angle the picture was taken at. Where does the bird go through the bars?
Using a clip at the top of the door will keep it closed,
55mm-metal-belt-clip-with-split-ring.jpg

Firstly, you need some more perches. A variety, so natural branches and cotton perches etc. One dowel low down in the cage isn´t the worst, but to have all and only dowel can cause bumblefoot.

Even though they spend most of the day out, it is still good to have a variety of toys in the cage too.

If you need some inspiration, check out Post your cage set-ups! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Also, if you live in an area where bird toys aren´t easily accessible, you can make your own toys with wooden blocks, colourful card and childrens beads.

Birbo

Meeting neighbors
he managed to get out on the right side of the cage also all of the gaps are the same size. I will try to find hem some more toys when i get some more money thanks for the tip

Birbo

Meeting neighbors
also the door closes i just leave it open for them